Around the NFL

Forge

Frank Gore milestone coming up ... 50 more yards needed to pass ERic Dickerson for spot number 7. 464 needed to make top 5. UNfortunately he's only averaging 3 yards per carry so he might start to get fewer carries.

On another "player around the league" note, of all QBs that have thrown a reasonable number of passes Alex Smith is leading the league in quarterback rating, completion percentage, is top 5 in YPA, and top 12 in Yds/Game.

Nice to see former 49ers doing well elsewhere.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

If there's true franchise QB there then no trade is a "Nah, forget it". An every year pro bowl QB is worth more than most of the rest of a team put together.

Well, no one knows that someone is going to pan out 100% though. Everyone would trade the farm if they knew without a shadow of a doubt they were getting Peyton Manning or John Elway. 

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Frank Gore milestone coming up ... 50 more yards needed to pass ERic Dickerson for spot number 7. 464 needed to make top 5. UNfortunately he's only averaging 3 yards per carry so he might start to get fewer carries.

On another "player around the league" note, of all QBs that have thrown a reasonable number of passes Alex Smith is leading the league in quarterback rating, completion percentage, is top 5 in YPA, and top 12 in Yds/Game.

Nice to see former 49ers doing well elsewhere.

464 should be attainable as long as he doesn't start to lose out on any carries. His YPC does need to pick up, but I noticed Mack got zero carries last week. Is he hurt or just not getting much playing time? If it is the latter, then Gore should be fine for the time being. If Mack is hurt, then it will be interesting to see what happens once he returns. No one else on that roster should be all that big of a threat to him.

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Well, no one knows that someone is going to pan out 100% though. Everyone would trade the farm if they knew without a shadow of a doubt they were getting Peyton Manning or John Elway. 

Well of course.  And teams will often pay a king's ransom for the chance to get a guy like that. The point is that if any of those guys are considered potential franchise QBs then the price will be steep.

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

464 should be attainable as long as he doesn't start to lose out on any carries. His YPC does need to pick up, but I noticed Mack got zero carries last week. Is he hurt or just not getting much playing time? If it is the latter, then Gore should be fine for the time being. If Mack is hurt, then it will be interesting to see what happens once he returns. No one else on that roster should be all that big of a threat to him.

I was worried about Mack taking carries away just based on what was said about him in preseason.  Don't know what the story is by Gore is still carrying the load. He only needs an average year to shoot up the list.  He's had 1000+ in 9 of his past 11 seasons and 950 and 850 (with injury) the other two years.  Even a bad year for him will still push him up the list.  

I don't want his YPC to start dropping though. Career 4.4 YPC is VERY solid. The last two years he has been under 4 YPC and looks like it will happen again this season unless he starts having some huge games. But again, as long as Mack isn't a threat to take his carries then he should be fine. I did predict before the season that at some point the Colts will have to go to Mack as he is just too good. 

gore.png

Combine a poor offensive line with 8-10 guys lined up consistently within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, and you'll understand his numbers. He's still their best option and was running better than Marlon Mack (1.3 YPC) before Mack's injury. 

But you watch the Browns game, and that is what he faced just about every time. Teams do not respect a combination of the offensive line and Brisset. But he still looks the same as he always did when he had a hole:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/0ap3000000849980/Frank-Gore-bursts-through-the-middle-for-21-yards 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bless the DC's heart then. I rather Gore try to beat me then Hilton having that type of freedom. And no coincidence Brissett had a great game either. 

And that's essentially what happened. They dared Brissett to beat them. Honestly, that's probably what I'd have done, too. He completed only 54% of his passes and a 5.84 YPA against the Cardinals in his first start. Plus, when you have an offensive line that week, there's a good chance that even if there's a pass you'll get to the QB before he can do anything anyway. Strategy didn't work, but it wasn't a bad one. Especially when Brissett has only been with the team a few weeks. 

When Luck is back, I think Gore will pick back up. I still don't see any reason why he wouldn't pass Dickerson-Tomlinson short of an injury. Even at his current pace of only 48 yards/game (with the Colts he'd been averaging around 60-65 yards), he'll pass Tomlinson in the next 10 games. If he can get up to 70 YPG for the next 13, he'd even pass Martin. But that seems like a pipe dream at this point. 

Archived