Around the NFL

Forge

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Crazy to me that this is the fourth straight season the Saints have started 0-2. Heard that on one of the telecasts. Too lazy to check, but if it's true it's pretty sad. Especially when Brees is your QB. 

Their defense is so damn bad. Crazy how they are wasting the late half of his prime. Hopefully he leaves after this season.

6 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Anyone care to give Brees a try here? I would not mind if we had some young talent to sit and learn behind him... 

Still think I might prefer Cousins, though. 

Ugggh, no. He's almost 40. Better to get a young buck and build around him with the other young players. Brees coming here would feel like a shotgun wedding. He'll retire a Saint anyway.

7 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Anyone care to give Brees a try here? I would not mind if we had some young talent to sit and learn behind him... 

Of course! Brees is still clearly superior to Cousins. Granted, he probably doesn't have as many years left, but we wouldn't have to use a draft pick to get him. Draft a QB early in the draft, sit him behind Brees a season or two and then go from there. 

20 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Would prefer Brees to Cousins. I'd be interested in bringing him in. Would he be interested in coming? I don't know. I'm inclined to agree with Papa that he's retiring a Saint. But weirder things have happened before. Maybe they just decide to completely rebuild and the Saints don't bring him back. But even still, I think that there would be more appealing locations for him to go to. Could we persuade him with money? Potentially, but I feel like money wouldn't really be a driving force behind his new team selection. Would we be willing to do something along the lines of a 2 year, 60 million dollar deal? I don't know. Kind of a weird situation with Brees overall. 

27 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Ugggh, no. He's almost 40. Better to get a young buck and build around him with the other young players. Brees coming here would feel like a shotgun wedding. He'll retire a Saint anyway.

I agree, take nothing away from Brees but 39 year old QB's are not anything I want a part of. Even an all time great. I'd take Garapolo or Cousins in a heartbeat over Brees for next season. 

6 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I agree, take nothing away from Brees but 39 year old QB's are not anything I want a part of. Even an all time great. I'd take Garapolo or Cousins in a heartbeat over Brees for next season. 

I don't understand the thought process behind this. You draft a guy, don't have to play him, he can learn behind Brees for a year or two...why wouldn't you want Brees again? The addition of Brees wouldn't mean that you have to adjust the plan of drafting a quarterback in the first round...it just gives you Drew Brees for a year or two. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't understand the thought process behind this. You draft a guy, don't have to play him, he can learn behind Brees for a year or two...why wouldn't you want Brees again? The addition of Brees wouldn't mean that you have to adjust the plan of drafting a quarterback in the first round...it just gives you Drew Brees for a year or two. 

I never mentioned drafting a guy, I said Cousins/Garapolo.

But if we were to do that I dont expect Brees to be the same QB at 39 he was at 35 so I dont think we'll be good. Thats reason enough, and if we draft Darnald/Rosen/Jackson I think our team would be better off over a full 16 game season starting them week 1 than we would be with Brees at age 39/40.  

2 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

But if we were to do that I dont expect Brees to be the same QB at 39 he was at 35 so I dont think we'll be good. Thats reason enough, and if we draft Darnald/Rosen/Jackson I think our team would be better off over a full 16 game season starting them week 1 than we would be with Brees at age 39/40.  

I get the preference for Cousins / Jimmy G...though the latter would be stretching it for me for sure. And personally would prefer Brees for two years than Cousins for 6. 

Brees hasn't shown any sign of slowing down so far this year. We aren't asking him to be the same guy as he was at 35. I'd settle for what he's doing now at 39 - 66%, 3 td, 0 int, nearly 8 ypa, 320 yards per game. Are you thinking that's he's just going to fall off a cliff specifically next year? If that's the case, I get it...though I'd take that chance right now based one what he's done so far. We are not marrying him long term. It's a one or two year stop gap gig. Its hard enough drafting a guy of Alex Smith caliber - if you have 4 first round quarterbacks, its very likely you only get one or two who will be that caliber of starter for you, and slightly less likely that they would do that in year one, so short term, I certainly think that in the 2018 season we'd be better off with Brees. 

Nooooooooooooow....long term? Eh...that's where it gets iffy. We don't have a ton of talent, and if I believe that Brees is still going to be good next year, that may only get us to purgatory level, so the draft picks are lower, not as easy to keep filling those holes...etc. That could be tricky. 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

It's not inconceivable that this is Brees' last year.  I even saw an  article saying the Saints might be interested in Smith if the Chiefs move on to Mahomes. I still don't think that will happen until Reid is convinced that Mahomes is better.  They're too much of a contender to try to develop young talent, in games I mean, at the expense of hurting their playoff chances.

3 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Besides $60 million would be enough to plug a whole lot of other holes.

9 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Besides $60 million would be enough to plug a whole lot of other holes.

I mean, you're paying Cousins / Jimmy G 50 over that time period so not really saving a ton there. We always act like we are going to spend the entire cap we have available and we don't. Makes little difference, I think. 

If you're drafting a guy, then I don't see how Brees really effects that. You can have both as I mentioned above. 

But again, all kind of moot in my opinion. As you suggested - he could retire rather than go elsewhere. He's pretty closely ingrained into NO not just as a team, but a city, and we wouldn't be the most appealing option if he were available. At the same time, I'm just not convinced they'd let him go without him struggling this year to some extent, and he hasn't shown that yet. 

7 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

It's not inconceivable that this is Brees' last year.  I even saw an  article saying the Saints might be interested in Smith if the Chiefs move on to Mahomes. I still don't think that will happen until Reid is convinced that Mahomes is better.  They're too much of a contender to try to develop young talent, in games I mean, at the expense of hurting their playoff chances.

There was already a report that they are planning on shopping Smith after the season is over, and they won't have a chance to see where Mahomes is next year before shopping Smith, so it has to be based on what he did this year. Looks like it was enough and that decision has already been made (assuming of course, the report is accurate, though Shefty is usually pretty good on that). Smith has also said he thinks it'll be his last season there. 

Archived