Around the NFL

Forge

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

What are the odds we resign Alex Smith if Kirk Cousins isn't a option? That deep ball looked good last night, I do t remember seeing Alex play that well ever.

I'd say almost none. I don't see the point of that. Hoyer is still under contract, and while smith is the better of the two, its not by enough that I'd actively pursue him to take over for hoyer. Last night was one game, doesn't change what he's been for most of his career. Continue to groom beathard, draft one of the guys next year for a more viable long term solution. Why keep yourself in purgatory? Smith is also 34 years old already. 

He needs to stay in KC or go to Jax. 

The point of signing him is if Hoyer sucks, we lose out on Cousins, Beathard not being quite ready yet or ever ready, we should be prepared to compete for a playoff spot by next year. And a competent QB who would be entering his age 34 season isn't a bad option. We'll have to see I'm just bringing this up because he's going to be a FA and the stock for Mahomes is high as ever he might not be brought back. Something worth keeping an eye on and I saw on Twitter John Lynch liked an article on Alex Smith so I'm just trying to fan the smoke.  

Cousins is still my option 1

Darnald/Top Rookie QB option 2

Beathard option 3

Alex Smith/FA option 4 

Hoyer option 5 

38 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

The point of signing him is if Hoyer sucks, we lose out on Cousins, Beathard not being quite ready yet or ever ready, we should be prepared to compete for a playoff spot by next year. And a competent QB who would be entering his age 34 season isn't a bad option. We'll have to see I'm just bringing this up because he's going to be a FA and the stock for Mahomes is high as ever he might not be brought back. Something worth keeping an eye on and I saw on Twitter John Lynch liked an article on Alex Smith so I'm just trying to fan the smoke.  

Cousins is still my option 1

Darnald/Top Rookie QB option 2

Beathard option 3

Alex Smith/FA option 4 

Hoyer option 5 

The bolded is ambitious for a team I view as being one of the five worst teams in the NFL for "productive" talent. Not impossible, but I'd view that as unlikely. 

The Italicized is also incorrect right now. Alex Smith isn't a free agent next year. He's under contract through 2018. Yes, its possible that the Chiefs cut him, but they could also trade him or even keep him. No guarantee that Mahomes is ready, and if Smith has a really good year this year, they may not be inclined to move on quite yet, even with the increased cap hit next year (jumps to a little over 20 million for Smith). Think of what Green Bay did with Rodgers or San Diego did with Rivers. If they are ready to move on, then trading him would become priority number one, and we have seen that quarterbacks such as this have some trade value. Jacksonville makes a ton of sense - they continue to struggle to find a quarterback, when the rest of their roster is pretty solid. With a quarterback like Smith, they could be a viable playoff contender, and it gives them time to groom another quarterback from the draft. Washington is a team that can win now - if they lose Cousins, that's another landing spot that makes some sense. The fit with Arians in Arizona is terrible, but if Palmer retires (which I Think is likely), they don't really have a young guy to take over.  They may not have to cut him - there may be a suitor out there in trade, and even if they are getting back a low pick in return, it's better than nothing. 

But again, I don't see the point. If Hoyer sucks, we are picking high enough to grab a quarterback. If he's better than anticipated and we aren't picking high enough to grab a quarterback, that also means you're not getting much an improvement from Hoyer to Smith based on Hoyers most recent play (covering roughly 2 seasons over the course of 3 years) 

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Too bad Smith wasn't playing this well when he was traded from the 49ers. 

Ehh...he was playing very well. He was one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the NFL at the time of his injury. sure, he wasn't throwing 75 yard bombs, but that wasn't exactly our offensive philosophy. In 2012, he was certainly playing around a top 8-10 quarterback in the nfl with regards to efficiency when he got hurt. He had a few more INTS than is typical (5 in 9+ games), but 104 rating, 70% completion percentage, 8 yards an attempt, 9th in dvoa, 7th in QBR...it was actually the best season of his career by far. I think that is why we were able to get two seconds for him. 

That being said, Kaepernick was just as good that year, younger, and seemed to have unlimited upside. It was the right decision at the time

Eh I think we should be competing for a playoff spot next year, that's not that far of a stretch. But I missed that Smiths FA isn't till 2019 I goofed up. We could have a good team without a good QB that happens all the time. Smith I just view as another possibility if he is released although that's unlikely, but not impossible. Especially if he has a 30 TD 7int season or better this year, even if he's not KCs long term answer.   

I think Alex will almost certainly be playing with another team in 2018, regardless of how this year turns out (maybe short of a Super Bowl win). If he has a great season, his trade value will never be higher and they might get a similar deal to what we did. If he doesn't play very well, he'll likely be cut. The team won't be able to wait long on Mahomes. One year, sure. That can still happen. But two years would be unheard of for a modern NFL QB. Last time it happened was with Rodgers, and Smith isn't exactly Brett Favre. Mahomes will be the starter, for better or worse, next season, or the team will likely be looking to move on from him. I imagine the Broncos will be looking to do the same if Lynch doesn't take over at some point this year. 

^I don't agree with this method, for the record. I'm just noting the reality of today's NFL. 

I agree with what @y2lamanaki is saying about Smith. Mahomes is the future moving forward with that franchise and having no guaranteed money on his contract anymore would allow the Chiefs to part ways and not take a cap hit. Or like Y2 said maybe he can still hold some trade value at the end of this season. The cap situation is probably a bigger reason as to why Mahomes would be thrust into the starting role ready or not because the Chiefs cap situation isn't the greatest. 

If we were to then go after Smith I'm not sure we'd truly be progressing towards the type of franchise the Niners want to become. Not that I don't think Smith isn't better than Hoyer, cause he is by a lot, but I'm not sure you can begin to build an up and coming franchise with a QB likely on his way out in the next 3-4 years. Factoring in his salary that it would cost and taking that away from acquiring talent at other places on the team, that's just not how a team is built now a days. Typically they take adavantage of a younger QBs salary while on his rookie contract, and when time comes to resign that QB they have already identified the key pieces they need to keep while also paying their QBotF. Acquiring Smith, while an upgrade initially at QB, kind of just feels like a recipe for a middling franchise type of development.

Zeke got his TRO. Will probably get to play out the season...so if you have him in a keeper league, people, you can probably unload him at full value this year to people who don't know better and then they are stuck with the suspension next year :P

11 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Wow Kareem Hunt...expected him to be good, but that was unreal. 

Also - fun statistic: at this point in the NFL season, the Patriots have more losses than the other 31 NFL teams combined. 

Absolutely.  So many backs to choose from last year.  Will be really interesting to see how they work out.  I'm hoping the best of them will be Breida and Williams.

8 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

What are the odds we resign Alex Smith if Kirk Cousins isn't a option? That deep ball looked good last night, I do t remember seeing Alex play that well ever.

I actually read an article saying exactly that 2 or 3 weeks ago.  Suggested he would be cut and that we would be a good home for him.  Honestly, I think the rumors of his demise are greatly exaggerated.  The rook may be promising but I suspect Reid will bring him along very slowly. And only time will tell whether that promise actually turns into a very good NFL QB. 

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I doubt Shanny will want Smith unless all of a sudden he has a big change in his game and starts taking more deep shots. Lets see if this was a mirage or if Smith will start taking more shots this year. He certainly has the weapons to do so. 

At halftime I was thinking - same old Alex.  Still prefers the 5-yarder to the 15-yarder.  Then right after half he connects on a 50-yarder. has a second nicely thropwn long ball tipped away at the last second, and then hits a deep crossing pattern which goes for a long gain.  I read all preseason how KC wants him to open it up more.  We'll see.

Archived