Around the NFL

Forge

7 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

The point of signing him is if Hoyer sucks, we lose out on Cousins, Beathard not being quite ready yet or ever ready, we should be prepared to compete for a playoff spot by next year. And a competent QB who would be entering his age 34 season isn't a bad option. We'll have to see I'm just bringing this up because he's going to be a FA and the stock for Mahomes is high as ever he might not be brought back. Something worth keeping an eye on and I saw on Twitter John Lynch liked an article on Alex Smith so I'm just trying to fan the smoke.  

Cousins is still my option 1

Darnald/Top Rookie QB option 2

Beathard option 3

Alex Smith/FA option 4 

Hoyer option 5 

Option 1 - Hoyer or Beathard turn into a franchise QB. They're here and getting the system down, and cheap

Opton 2 - A young QB who has high potential to become a franchise QB.  There are a lot coming out, but can we get one of them?

Option 3 - Cousins if he looks as good this year as in his recent past

Option 4 - Smith, what else is there at that point?

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think Alex will almost certainly be playing with another team in 2018, regardless of how this year turns out (maybe short of a Super Bowl win). If he has a great season, his trade value will never be higher and they might get a similar deal to what we did. If he doesn't play very well, he'll likely be cut. The team won't be able to wait long on Mahomes. One year, sure. That can still happen. But two years would be unheard of for a modern NFL QB. Last time it happened was with Rodgers, and Smith isn't exactly Brett Favre. Mahomes will be the starter, for better or worse, next season, or the team will likely be looking to move on from him. I imagine the Broncos will be looking to do the same if Lynch doesn't take over at some point this year. 

^I don't agree with this method, for the record. I'm just noting the reality of today's NFL. 

Maybe.  I think it depends on how KC does this year.  If they go deep into the playoffs I don't see them dumping the QB who got them there in favor of a guy who's hardly ever played.  Assuming of course that Smith is the guy who takes them deep and Mahomes sits and learns behind him this season.  I wouldm't have thought this scenario likely but when you statt out by beating NE by 15 on their field I guess anything is possible.

20 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

At halftime I was thinking - same old Alex.  Still prefers the 5-yarder to the 15-yarder.  Then right after half he connects on a 50-yarder. has a second nicely thropwn long ball tipped away at the last second, and then hits a deep crossing pattern which goes for a long gain.  I read all preseason how KC wants him to open it up more.  We'll see.

Really no reason not to. That team is loaded with receivers that could get down the field. You even have a RB that could do so, and Kelce has to be one of the best TEs in that area. Reid will game plan with the best of them, and if Smith starts taking more shots down the field, this offense could be very good and exciting. I will try to catch their game next week, or at least when they are on offense. 

33 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

He was hitting over 70% of his passes with a YPA of 8 and a quarterback rating of 104 when Jim benched him.

He wasn't having 350 plus yard/4 TD games though. Also, he still wasn't attacking down the field as much. Obviously the way Alex played last night isn't sustainable over the course of the entire year. But Alex never had an entire season with the 49ers where he was playing at an All Pro level. If you want to use 2012 ok, but that was half a year. Alex wouldn't have been traded if he wasn't already being outplayed by his teammate. 

The graphic that was shown on the telecast was really disturbing. I think Alex has had 7 300 yard games in his entire 13 year career. In this day and age that's very bad. 

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Wait a minute.  Did hell just freeze over?

I've always been a Smith fan.  Was very vocal about benching and then trading him was a horrible move.  My friends referred to me as an Alex apologist who made Alexuses.  

And to whoever was saying it was the right move at the time because just look at Smith's career which has been average..... how's Kap looking this year?  I didn't like it but I get why we did it.  But hindsight, it was definitely not the right move.  Not to mention we could have gotten more for Kap at the time.  

4 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I've always been a Smith fan.  Was very vocal about benching and then trading him was a horrible move.  My friends referred to me as an Alex apologist who made Alexuses.  

And to whoever was saying it was the right move at the time because just look at Smith's career which has been average..... how's Kap looking this year?  I didn't like it but I get why we did it.  But hindsight, it was definitely not the right move.  Not to mention we could have gotten more for Kap at the time.  

I think he's confusing you with steady

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

Hindsight and "right move at the time" are not the same thing. So I'm not sure why you're bringing up whatever happened after that season because at the time it WAS the right decision. Colin played better that season and helped the 49ers get to the Super Bowl. Something Alex failed to do the previous season with a better defense and playoff position. 

21 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

He wasn't having 350 plus yard/4 TD games though. Also, he still wasn't attacking down the field as much. Obviously the way Alex played last night isn't sustainable over the course of the entire year. But Alex never had an entire season with the 49ers where he was playing at an All Pro level. If you want to use 2012 ok, but that was half a year. Alex wouldn't have been traded if he wasn't already being outplayed by his teammate. 

The graphic that was shown on the telecast was really disturbing. I think Alex has had 7 300 yard games in his entire 13 year career. In this day and age that's very bad. 

On the other hand he went to a team that was dead last when he arrived and has had one of the best winning records of any QB int he league since then.  That should count for more than whether he piles up stats or not. No?

18 hours ago, straighthate said:

Sorry confused you with another poster from back then :)

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

who the heck is this Smith guy ya'll talkin' about?

no-answer.gif

I honestly just ignore the Alex vs Colin discussions when they come up anymore. Neither is on the team (so who cares) and  no one ever convinces anyone of their point of view. It's a pointless discussion imo. 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

On the other hand he went to a team that was dead last when he arrived and has had one of the best winning records of any QB int he league since then.  That should count for more than whether he piles up stats or not. No?

Personally I don't put much stock in QB records. I think that is a very out of context stat. Alex isn't bad. But he does have limitations. This is the second time that he's trying to be replaced by as the starter because of those limitations. Alex doesn't have pile up stats yardage wise. It's more about how he naturally plays that effects what he ends up piling up. He had a big game against the Patriots, but his average depth of target was still around 8 yards...which not that great. Meanwhile Brady even with his lackluster game had an average depth of target of around 16 yards or so. Now that is very high, but my point overall is that the top QBs still look to attack down the field. Alex won't pull the trigger down the field most games unless someone is wide the fudge open like Tyrek Hill was at the start of the third. Or Hunt was when he clearly had a step on a dude. It's just his nature as a player regardless of coach or scheme. 

Ok. Done talking about Alex and Colin in relation to the 49ers. I'll just have to laugh and shake my head whenever I hear someone claim benching Alex wasn't the right decision at the time. 

Archived