Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

On 2/15/2024 at 10:47 PM, vike daddy said:

make the call. lol

I literally just saw another squirrel run across the roof and dip into the chimney. I bet there is a nest in there. I am having a chimney cleaner come out tomorrow to clean the chimney and replace the caps/vents so they are pest-proof. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2024 at 2:32 PM, Heimdallr said:

I literally just saw another squirrel run across the roof and dip into the chimney. I bet there is a nest in there. I am having a chimney cleaner come out tomorrow to clean the chimney and replace the caps/vents so they are pest-proof. 

lmao.  Considering you've only got gas inserts working off that which don't even need a chimney, that's probably a darn good idea.  Even if they can't get "in" through the cleanouts or anything else...it's probably still not ideal to have them living in your walls basically.

But also, poor squirrels.  They were having such a good time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 10:25 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Does anyone have experience building a hanging/floating entertainment unit similar to the below?

61b5fe8feccabe7cbbf69b9de0c06cc5.jpg

81y3v5EOo8L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

il_fullxfull.1680443623_emh8.jpg

black3_53acc569-2315-41c8-b96e-c8e86bfdd

We've renovated our entire home and made our living room nice and modern. However we haven't touched hanging out 75" TV or made an entertainment unit yet. I really like the idea of doing something like this. Hiding the wires, clean, modern, functional.

What are your thoughts on these styles? Any good to haves for entertainment units?

Bump!

We're getting close to pulling the trigger on this project and start planning it all. I definitely want a floating main shelf under the TV, a textured wall of sorts behind to hide cords, floating shelfs to the left (On the right side we have a window) and probably some LED lights under or on top as mood light.

Any suggestions or photos of cool wall hanging TV units?  

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 7:50 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Bump!

We're getting close to pulling the trigger on this project and start planning it all. I definitely want a floating main shelf under the TV, a textured wall of sorts behind to hide cords, floating shelfs to the left (On the right side we have a window) and probably some LED lights under or on top as mood light.

Any suggestions or photos of cool wall hanging TV units?  

Aside from previous comments i might have made when you brought this up initially...

Are you planning on doing the finishing work on the cabinetry yourself?  And is that something you're good at?  I know that i can build a lot of things, but the sort of joinery involved in building really beautiful finished millwork is...well outside of my wheelhouse.  That's a darn specialized skillset.  Usually informed by experience.

So if that's a factor...i'd think about how to design a more deliberately "rustic" sort of wall unit.  Or lean toward that sort of "style" to cover for some more crude joins potentially.

• Like 1

Preference on a deck that runs the length of the house, or a small walk out deck, that goes down into a brick-style patio?  The house is two stories, but the home is built up due to the proximity we are to the Chesapeake Bay.

I have the original deck that was built with the house in 2013 (I bought in 2017) that I never had treated and there is a board starting to rot, as well as the steps sinking.  We can probably make it another couple years without doing much to it, but we are in the process of deciding what to do.  

We have someone who does great decks, as well as a personal connection with a mason who also does great work, so the ability to find someone to do both projects isn’t in question.  We also have room to expand the area further back, would just need to move the flower beds with it.  

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Preference on a deck that runs the length of the house, or a small walk out deck, that goes down into a brick-style patio?   

as soon as you got this far i knew what my answer would be.

i have built at least a few thousand square feet of wood framed decks in my career, simple ones and elaborate ones. but know this to be true - no matter how well they are built and even with using superlative materials, they will never be in as good a condition as first day you walk out on them. materials degrade; materials change with sunlight, temperature, and moisture, or lack thereof; tight fits become more open to becoming gaps; and of course, wood members rot over time.

i don't know how many people have brought me in to build a deck and i instead advised them to have a ground level hard surface patio instead. or perhaps with a smaller deck or landing leading to a ground patio. 

it's so much better for longevity and lack of maintenance (all you're going to need is a garden hose) and can be made to look so stunning!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

as soon as you got this far i knew what my answer would be.

i have built at least a few thousand square feet of wood framed decks in my career, simple ones and elaborate ones. but know this to be true - no matter how well they are built and even with using superlative materials, they will never be in as good a condition as first day you walk out on them. materials degrade; materials change with sunlight, temperature, and moisture, or lack thereof; tight fits become more open to becoming gaps; and of course, wood members rot over time.

i don't know how many people have brought me in to build a deck and i instead advised them to have a ground level hard surface patio instead. or perhaps with a smaller deck or landing leading to a ground patio. 

it's so much better for longevity and lack of maintenance (all you're going to need is a garden hose) and can be made to look so stunning!

This is good advice.  Especially when it comes to things as described there, like the stairs sinking.  That's a sign that whatever "fix" you do there, is probably also going to eventually start sinking as well.  Not that hard surfaced ground level patios are immune to this, but it tends to less dramatic and easier to remedy.

There's still something to be said for elevation though.  Just being up higher is...kind of cool.  Especially if it's like a second storey or split level deck.  Those are sweet.

One alternative thing you can do to combat some of the deterioration of materials, is invest in some really nice composite decking material.  It used to be so tacky and plastic and cheap looking and feeling, but there is some really nice stuff being made these days that is honestly a lot nicer to walk around on than actual wood.  lol.  It'll still deteriorate over time, but a much longer timeframe and much more subtle degradation.    Still have to worry about sinking piles and shifting and the actual wood structural stuff supporting it all.  But that stuff tends to be more protected and break down less quickly than the actual decking surface material.

Or you can just build it out like a floor and wrap the whole *** thing in duradeck covering or something.  If you get the drainage right, it'll last for ages and when it does wear out, you can just wrap it in a fresh covering again.  Though aesthetically...it's not for everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i actually feel just the opposite. there's something to be said for being, oh we'll say... connected to the earth.

😆  Different strokes for different folks i guess.

But heck, i love elevation and just elevation changes to separate spaces.  The best decks and balconies are usually hundreds of feet above grade.  But even just five or ten feet will do.  But i also like weird stuff from the 80s/90s like "sunken living rooms".  lol.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...