Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

On 10/8/2023 at 1:41 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

How many of y'all utilize whole house humidifiers? Yay or nay?

I had one at my old house.  I was always skeptical that it was actually working.  The water line running to the furnace was so small, i was nearly certain it was always plugged with corrosion.  

On 10/15/2023 at 5:21 PM, NateDawg said:

Fall small paver pad project with cedar gazebo build. Just need to seal the wood, run some lights, and anchor the gazebo in but it’s otherwise done. 

IMG-4277.jpg

IMG-3468.jpg

IMG-4534.jpg

**** am i a sucker for some nice textured stone.

Looks wicked.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 9:32 PM, NickButera said:

I'm getting ready to gut a guest bathroom and remodel. New everything. Most of what I need is purchased except the shower.  Any tips/ideas before I begin? I was thinking just get a pre-fab shower enclosure, but now I'm wondering if I should just just tile the walls. 

Only if you really know what you are doing. I've seen some really crappy looking ones, namely at my parent's house.. They hired a local handyman type who did it for half the price of a pro, and you get what you pay for as they say 😂

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

do you have any experience doing it? because your first few jobs will be pretty soft on quality. mine certainly were.

Yea, I've done tile, sheetrock, framing, lots of remodeling stuff, all side stuff on my own property or others. Not a professional but the jobs always come out well. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 7:32 PM, NickButera said:

I'm getting ready to gut a guest bathroom and remodel. New everything. Most of what I need is purchased except the shower.  Any tips/ideas before I begin? I was thinking just get a pre-fab shower enclosure, but now I'm wondering if I should just just tile the walls. 

Tiled showers look so much nicer.  But also...what is your level of experience with this stuff?

11 hours ago, adamq said:

Only if you really know what you are doing. I've seen some really crappy looking ones, namely at my parent's house.. They hired a local handyman type who did it for half the price of a pro, and you get what you pay for as they say 😂

Exactly.  It's not like a "baby's first DIY project" sort of thing.  You'll **** up a lot your first time because you just don't know what you don't know.  Tilesetting is extremely hard and you need to be both handy and somewhat artistic.

6 hours ago, NickButera said:

Yea, I've done tile, sheetrock, framing, lots of remodeling stuff, all side stuff on my own property or others. Not a professional but the jobs always come out well. 

Well i mean, if you've done tiling already, you might be able to do it.  If you'd just come out and said that.  lol.  So much of this stuff is really just experiential learning.

Can you look at your previous tile projects and understand what went wrong, and how to fix?

• Like 2

Does anyone have experience building a hanging/floating entertainment unit similar to the below?

61b5fe8feccabe7cbbf69b9de0c06cc5.jpg

81y3v5EOo8L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

il_fullxfull.1680443623_emh8.jpg

black3_53acc569-2315-41c8-b96e-c8e86bfdd

We've renovated our entire home and made our living room nice and modern. However we haven't touched hanging out 75" TV or made an entertainment unit yet. I really like the idea of doing something like this. Hiding the wires, clean, modern, functional.

What are your thoughts on these styles? Any good to haves for entertainment units?