Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Any smart people in here have any insight of the housing market this year and/or interest rates. I saw they came down to 6% from banks in my area, hopefully it keeps trending downward but I know a lot of other factors are at play

not likely to continue trending down for a bit, i would say.

39 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

not likely to continue trending down for a bit, i would say.

Yeah...and home prices in my area are still astronomical. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. Need to move because we have significantly outgrown our house with children/dogs/ect but after talking with our realtor the prices are still up and people are still getting 20,30,40,50+ over asking. Pair that with 6%+ rates and it is unbearable. 

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah...and home prices in my area are still astronomical. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. Need to move because we have significantly outgrown our house with children/dogs/ect but after talking with our realtor the prices are still up and people are still getting 20,30,40,50+ over asking. Pair that with 6%+ rates and it is unbearable. 

understood. my son and his wife looked at over 60 homes for months before being able to buy one, and that's only because they could rent the 3rd bedroom for $1000/month.

but since buying less than a year ago, the house has appreciated in value too.

14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

understood. my son and his wife looked at over 60 homes for months before being able to buy one, and that's only because they could rent the 3rd bedroom for $1000/month.

but since buying less than a year ago, the house has appreciated in value too.

Thats what the realtor keeps saying. He goes 'i know the rates are high and that 415k house is currently going for 510k but you are going to make it all back with appreciation over the next 10 years'

I dont know if this is just realtor sales speak to get us to stretch ourselves thin financially out of fear its only going to get worse or what.

Plus the 'r' word has been floated around for potentially later this year and Im deathly afraid of buying a overpriced house just to watch the value tank when/if that situation does hit.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats what the realtor keeps saying. He goes 'i know the rates are high and that 415k house is currently going for 510k but you are going to make it all back with appreciation over the next 10 years'

I dont know if this is just realtor sales speak to get us to stretch ourselves thin financially out of fear its only going to get worse or what.

Plus the 'r' word has been floated around for potentially later this year and Im deathly afraid of buying a overpriced house just to watch the value tank when/if that situation does hit.

yeah, it all comes down to your confidence level, it always does when we're talking about any investment. bottom line to wrestle with - will it be worth more in the future than it is now?

We have a big closet in our kitchen (Was used for a coat closet randomly by previous owner but we've turned it into a pantry). Anyways I am looking to make a custom shelving unit and would love some cool ideas if you guys have any.

Tons of generic shelving, an open area for brooms, going to have a roll out bin for recycling, a counter area for kitchen aid, appliances, motion light, etc.

Any other cool ideas for a pantry/kitchen storage closet?

56 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

We have a big closet in our kitchen (Was used for a coat closet randomly by previous owner but we've turned it into a pantry). Anyways I am looking to make a custom shelving unit and would love some cool ideas if you guys have any.

Tons of generic shelving, an open area for brooms, going to have a roll out bin for recycling, a counter area for kitchen aid, appliances, motion light, etc.

Any other cool ideas for a pantry/kitchen storage closet?

il_794xN.2859919937_j787.jpg

Wall mounted door spice and marinade rack.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Is this yours?

No, it’s a DIY project or you can buy it for $100 off of Etsy. Plywood, 1x4 on each side with 2 other 1x4 cut at an angle. You can attach with pocket holes and glue on the insides and inside tops of the pieces and glue the balsa wood that keeps the spices contained.

All in it’s probably $20-$40 to make.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 1:43 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Renovated 95% of our very, very original 1981 home. I am super impressed with it and added so much value.

After a year-ish away from major renos I have that itch to tackle the big unfinished basement. It has concrete walls + floors (no insulation/drywalling yet). Bare wooden rafters. Pretty much open floor plan, but has the utilities hub annoyingly against a wall but in the middle of the area.

Any ideas for making an unfinished basement look nice? We don't have the money or time to do a full renovation, but wouldn't mind spending a bit to spruce it up. I really like the looks of this:

paint-rafters.jpg?1591222193

Painting the floors/walls/rafters. Some new lighting. Curtain off the furnace/boiler, etc.

Any fun ideas/suggestions/photos!?

Hey brother. Have you done this yet?  My wife and I just bought our forever home and I'm planning on finishing the basement Ave this seems like a cheaper more sensible option to using drywall for the ceiling.  If you have I'd love to pick your brain on the process.  

On 1/21/2023 at 10:26 PM, Totty said:

Hey brother. Have you done this yet?  My wife and I just bought our forever home and I'm planning on finishing the basement Ave this seems like a cheaper more sensible option to using drywall for the ceiling.  If you have I'd love to pick your brain on the process.  

Hey pal. No i have not done this job yet. I am waiting until spring so I can have all the basement windows open to allow for circulation. I don't feel great about using a spray gun and painting gallons on gallons in the same room as our furnace. We'd need to section it off and all, plus we need to give an enormous cleaning to every surface, which I just don't have time to do yet.

I do plan on going ahead with this though. Let me know how you make out in the meantime. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Has anybody used the rubber mulch instead of wood/stone?  Its pretty insanely expensive but also would look nice and supposedly lasts about 10 years.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with it and if it is worth it in the long run in saving annual work and expense for a one time expense. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Has anybody used the rubber mulch instead of wood/stone?  Its pretty insanely expensive but also would look nice and supposedly lasts about 10 years.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with it and if it is worth it in the long run in saving annual work and expense for a one time expense. 

I mean, it's fine. It's about 2-3 times the cost and lasts 10 years instead of 2. I did river rock and cannot say how happy I am that I did it. Very similar reason. You do it one time, it lasts forever, zero need to spend money on it or labor time on it again.