Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, gonna need that, their email address, and website.

Funny enough, what I was referring to wasn't even their product lol. This is the first home I've ever owned. Learning as I go as I've never really had someone show me the ropes

you bet, and i'm happy to help out the new guys, a lot of us are.

any time you can deal with the manufacturer for a tech question, that's where you start educating yourself.

oh, and...

https://www.gilkey.com/

800 878-7771

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

you bet, and i'm happy to help out the new guys, a lot of us are.

any time you can deal with the manufacturer for a tech question, that's where you start educating yourself.

oh, and...

https://www.gilkey.com/

800 878-7771

It doesn't help that I'm terrified of doing things without being shown how to once. That's how I learn best. YouTube videos can only take you so far bc I always have questions lol. I understand I ask a lot of dumb questions but maybe it'll help the lurkers who are too timid to. At least that's the thought process I'll use to justify bothering the thread.

And thanks for the info. I'm going to Google how to use Google now. 

On 9/17/2022 at 9:14 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Thoughts on painting aluminum window frames?

Painting our house is making them stand out and look pretty bad. 

Just do it!!! ....those are my thoughts. 

I ripped out parts of my home to the studs with this philosophy. Worked out ok. Once things are at the point of no return, you find that you'll do anything to get the job done. That, and the wife will do anything to ensure you finish. 

11 hours ago, NickButera said:

I ripped out parts of my home to the studs with this philosophy. Worked out ok. Once things are at the point of no return, you find that you'll do anything to get the job done. That, and the wife will do anything to ensure you finish. 

You're far more good at this though and can fix issues you may run into in a more efficient manner. I can figure things out but how much damage will I do prior? Lol. That's my problem. I'm going to spend the winter researching what to do and what I might run into. Big fan of my house color change but now my windows have a fairly ugly tri-color effect that needs remedied

56 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

You're far more good at this though and can fix issues you may run into in a more efficient manner. I can figure things out but how much damage will I do prior? Lol. That's my problem. I'm going to spend the winter researching what to do and what I might run into. Big fan of my house color change but now my windows have a fairly ugly tri-color effect that needs remedied

Dude it's paint. What's the worst that could happen? 

TBH I felt the exact same way going into every project. But after a dozen projects I started to get the hang of it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Is it a bad idea to try to replace my front door with just a new door slab, instead of a new pre-hung door? I don't really want to replace the entire frame, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to properly align the new door into the old frame. 

depends on what your skill level is.

doors have to be hung with extreme precision or they won't work well and it will be noticeable. it's a 50/50 call that a new slab will align well with the existing jamb and hinge layout. it takes someone who has installed 100 doors or more to know what they're doing.

4 hours ago, NickButera said:

Dude it's paint. What's the worst that could happen? 

TBH I felt the exact same way going into every project. But after a dozen projects I started to get the hang of it. 

Well, from what I've read, you're supposed to rough it up with sandpaper prior to applying but, again, I don't know much about this stuff which is why I'm going to research lol. If it was as simple as just brushing paint on there and that's it then yes, I'd be far less concerned with the process and more about which of the 28 shades of white I had to select 

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Well, from what I've read, you're supposed to rough it up with sandpaper prior to applying but, again, I don't know much about this stuff which is why I'm going to research lol. If it was as simple as just brushing paint on there and that's it then yes, I'd be far less concerned with the process and more about which of the 28 shades of white I had to select 

Yea, the courser the surface, the better the paint will stick. But, again, the worst that could happen is you repaint.  BTW, IMO the purest white you can get for the frame the better. Off-whites or dull whites may look old-ish. But a crisp true white will look good. Just get "white". 

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

Yea, the courser the surface, the better the paint will stick. But, again, the worst that could happen is you repaint.  BTW, IMO the purest white you can get for the frame the better. Off-whites or dull whites may look old-ish. But a crisp true white will look good. Just get "white". 

A fair point.

As for the paint color, we have the house color which is now gray, the frame which is a pale yellow, and the window from which is white. The "white" I'm going for would be the closest match to that "white". While I think it would be a pure white, who the hell knows lol. Getting too cold here to do that stuff now though so I'll just do it next year anyway

22 hours ago, NickButera said:

The thing is, you can easily start to slide from "just do it" projects into much more extensive problems, that are a lot harder to rectify.  Down to the studs as an interior project?  Cool.  That's relatively simple as long as the electrical/plumbing isn't bizarre.  If you start to touch exterior walls and/or things like Windows, it can get messy quickly.  

11 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Painting windows..well that's probably fine.  Might present some challenges if you don't strip and prime them properly, or if they're a different type of window than you thought.  But it's probably relatively safe.  Actually changing windows?  That's a whole different world of hurt.

10 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Is it a bad idea to try to replace my front door with just a new door slab, instead of a new pre-hung door? I don't really want to replace the entire frame, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to properly align the new door into the old frame. 

In my experience, no door i've replaced has ever fit where it is supposed to, without some modification.  So when it comes to an exterior solid core door...that's gonna be a nightmare.  Probably.  Unless you get lucky.  Do you feel lucky?

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

depends on what your skill level is.

doors have to be hung with extreme precision or they won't work well and it will be noticeable. it's a 50/50 call that a new slab will align well with the existing jamb and hinge layout. it takes someone who has installed 100 doors or more to know what they're doing.

Yeah.  You can get out the saws and sanders and make an interior door fit.  An exterior door though, being a serious piece of solid core hardware...that's gonna be a challenge.  Especially if it's like most exterior doors, with an metal finish and everything.  If it doesn't fit (and it probably won't), you're gonna be up **** creek without a paddle trying to figure out how to fit it to the frame.

I'd say either go with the pre-hung door, or understand that you might be tearing apart a lot of stuff to get to the point where you can re-frame the door.  You might end up there anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

again... why do research when you can just call the manufacturer and ask what they recommend?

Bc I might've misspoke when I said this is a product of the manufacturer. After our previous discussion and it was shown they don't use aluminum, I started to question it bc this is most definitely aluminum. Regardless, I did reach out to them anyway but have yet to hear from them

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Really recommend a pro for this.  I've hung hundreds of doors,  and even prehung doors can be challenging.   Not something you want to get wrong.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Charles said:
23 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Really recommend a pro for this.  I've hung hundreds of doors,  and even prehung doors can be challenging.   Not something you want to get wrong.

This 100%. I've hung interior doors and will again, but when it comes to exterior, hard pass.