Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

32 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Midwest Ohio. It's not the most delicate at times lol

hmm.... any chance you can just replace them, or is that way out of the budget? aluminum frame windows were the rage in the 60's and 70's, but we soon found them to be more problematic than useful.

but if you need to keep them and paint them, then you'll want to sand them with a 80 grit paper or so first and wipe them down with rubbing alcohol to remove any film or residue. then a high grade primer is essential, and then a premium paint. and this all should be done with temps in the 70's or low 80's and night time temps not getting below 55 or so.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

hmm.... any chance you can just replace them, or is that way out of the budget? aluminum frame windows were the rage in the 60's and 70's, but we soon found them to be more problematic than useful.

but if you need to keep them and paint them, then you'll want to sand them with a 80 grit paper or so first and wipe them down with rubbing alcohol to remove any film or residue. then a high grade primer is essential, and then a premium paint. and this all should be done with temps in the 70's or low 80's and night time temps not getting below 55 or so.

Good info, thanks!! 

I'm not sure what the cost would be to replace them. The windows were fairly new when we bought the house and are pretty high quality. It might just turn into a "my wife will just have to deal with it" as it doesn't look terrible but just noticably not white like the actual windows. 

Seems like it's fairly simple to do just in case I'm thinking of diving in. Appreciate the info, again!

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

They are Gilkey windows. It's a local place

"The window material you choose will have a significant impact on the appearance of your home, as well as the performance and overall cost of your project. At Gilkey, we manufacture only fiberglass and vinyl windows. We specifically prefer them over aluminum, wood, wood/clad or wood/vinyl composites."

i knew you didn't have aluminum windows...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

"The window material you choose will have a significant impact on the appearance of your home, as well as the performance and overall cost of your project. At Gilkey, we manufacture only fiberglass and vinyl windows. We specifically prefer them over aluminum, wood, wood/clad or wood/vinyl composites."

i knew you didn't have aluminum windows...

I guess I could've done that myself lol.

OK time to research how to paint those if it comes down to it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

want me to look up their phone number for ya...?

Yeah, gonna need that, their email address, and website.

Funny enough, what I was referring to wasn't even their product lol. This is the first home I've ever owned. Learning as I go as I've never really had someone show me the ropes