Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

Anyone have cedar shake on their house?  I've always liked shake, but I know wood comes with a little maintenance, but usually it seems like that's overblown.  If we go with them, I'm planning on slapping them with some kind of color protector/flame retardant, but I was thinking that would be it.  Anyone got experience with the stuff?

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Anyone have cedar shake on their house?  I've always liked shake, but I know wood comes with a little maintenance, but usually it seems like that's overblown.  If we go with them, I'm planning on slapping them with some kind of color protector/flame retardant, but I was thinking that would be it.  Anyone got experience with the stuff?

My house has cedar shake, but I just bought it so I can't really tell you much. I'd be interested to see what people recommend too. 

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

Depending on the type you get and the climate you live in, you’ll need to apply various treatments to prevent rot, fungus, and rain/water wear and tear, re-up your fireproofing (typically an all in one application for these), as well as some sort of paint/polyurethane every so often (5-15 years depending upon color and region) for discoloration in the elements.

It looks fantastic, but it does come with some maintenance. 

• 3 weeks later...

Plumber wanted $260 to replace a shower cartridge. Did it myself for $60 and 90 minutes of my time. Some things are just worth doing yourself.

Plus, I was damn sure I wasn't going to pay him any more money after he spent 2 days trying to troubleshoot a clogged drain line that resulting in leaking pipes through the ceiling of my living room that ended up just being a frozen pipe. Some salt water cleared it right up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

@Packerraymond How high is your basement ceiling?

It's about 6'10".

Looks like drop tile, but that's actually drywall. Original "finishers" (if you can call them that, they glued plywood on the block walls, textured and painted it and put down that wicked awesome carpet tile) drywalled the ceiling and then glued wood strips to avoid taping and mudding. All walls are now drywalled, but I left the ceiling with the covered seams, I just didn't feel like paying for the chiropractic work that mudding and sanding a ceiling brings lol. I repainted and textured the ceiling and it looks good. Actually like that it looks like a nice drop tile ceiling and not some lazy, cheap way to finish drywall ha.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I hate ice dams. Definitely installing heating cables next fall. 

have you looked into how much insulation you have in your attic?

ice dams typically form from the snow on your roof melting closest to the roof from heat loss rising through the attic. then that water runs along the shingles, under the snow, hits the colder overhang of the roof, and freezes again.

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

have you looked into how much insulation you have in your attic?

ice dams typically form from the snow on your roof melting closest to the roof from heat loss rising through the attic. then that water runs along the shingles, under the snow, hits the colder overhang of the roof, and freezes again.

No attic, it was converted to living space.