Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

I see no one has yet made a new thread to continue conversations from the old site.

Just got done replacing the front door and added a high-end screen door. The problem I'm having is the slider at the bottom of the door (to keep pests and drafts out) is fully extended yet sit's about an inch too high. Anybody have a suggestion on what my best bet is to take care of this?

Plasterboard (US: Drywall) is a nightmare for fixtures. 

We've lot two fixings in the wall, we've bought almost every type of fixture, tomorrow we are going to buy large washers (holes are too big for fixture) and drill bits (for other fixtures we are using) and more fixtures for the new drilled holes. 

In one wall we will have about 5 different types of fixtures. 

27061.jpg

Lost in the wall

53569.jpg

Used 1 successfully

self-drill-fixing.jpg

Broke the hole, 4 used successfully 

Edited by texans_uk

17 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Plasterboard (US: Drywall) is a nightmare for fixtures. 

We've lot two fixings in the wall, we've bought almost every type of fixture, tomorrow we are going to buy large washers (holes are too big for fixture) and drill bits (for other fixtures we are using) and more fixtures for the new drilled holes. 

In one wall we will have about 5 different types of fixtures. 

Lost in the wall

Used 1 successfully broke the hole, 4 used successfully 

The hell are you fixing to the wall that none of those options are working.....and why aren't you just going into the studs if thats the case?

Edited by Hockey5djh
  • Like 2

Not really home improvement, but has anyone used the mattresses like Leesa, Lull, Tuft and Needle, and Casper that ship in the boxes and then "inflate"? My wife and I are planning on ordering a new mattresses, I had a cheap one from Ikea prior to us getting married that's four years old now and we want an upgrade. Any experience with those brands or how firm the mattresses tend to be?

8 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Not really home improvement, but has anyone used the mattresses like Leesa, Lull, Tuft and Needle, and Casper that ship in the boxes and then "inflate"? My wife and I are planning on ordering a new mattresses, I had a cheap one from Ikea prior to us getting married that's four years old now and we want an upgrade. Any experience with those brands or how firm the mattresses tend to be?

Never heard of the brands but I also haven't shopped for a mattress in about 4 years. That said my wife and I got a full memory foam mattress for our last bed purchase and i'm sure i'll never go back. The thing came all rolled up like a carpet and had to decompress once we removed it from the box and all the wrappings.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

The hell are you fixing to the wall that none of those options are working.....and why aren't you just going into the studs if thats the case?

The screw was too long for the self tightening bolt.

Then the hole wasn't big enough for the toggles we bought. 

The 1 toggle (M5) that did fit in we screwed in then realised we needed a washer because the hole in the wall was too big for the wall fixture. SMH. 

We've bought a 10mm drill and M5 toggles with large washers which should resolve all our issues! 

23 hours ago, The Gnat said:

We bought a mattress that came rolled up in a big cardboard tube. We pulled it out and let it inflate for a day before using it. It was $500 for a Cali King, wife and I are both very happy with it. Best bed I've owned, pretty easily.

Not sure of the brand, but I can look later. 

Haha, and here I was like, I like the shelving. I think that it would go well in a modern aesthetic place where you don't want to leaven too heavily on metal or concrete. Nice clean lines that can also turn the shelf into a feature piece on a wall that is functional as well as having aesthetic value.

Each to their own. 

My apartment is a new build and has a very modern design and this is a good compliment I feel.

It's also very functional (not yet finished yet).

I'll put up a picture when it's done and you might like it more. 

Edited by texans_uk

Looking at replacing the carpet in 3 bedrooms. We'd like to start with the 2 bedroom downstairs. You guys know a rough estimate of how much I should be expecting to pay? I'm looking at carpet similar to the one below. I would remove the pre-existing carpet and pad myself.

texture-carpet-tile-1.jpg

Edited by TENINCH