Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

When has any administration fixed, well, anything? lol

Looks like late 2023 might be a better prediction actually!

So you think that no administration has ever fixed anything, but the next one will?  Even if that administration is a rerun of one of two admins who you feel have never fixed anything?  

I’m not understanding your point here.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m genuinely torn on using my HELOC on a few big projects and striking before inflation and costs continue to soar and waiting it out, which I have zero clue how much longer lumber, fuel, materials, and labor will continue to go out of control.

sounds sensible to me, have at it.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So you think that no administration has ever fixed anything, but the next one will?  Even if that administration is a rerun of one of two admins who you feel have never fixed anything?  

his points are often just ramblings that don't make much sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I didn't say that. 

My point is that I don't expect things to settle for some time . That's it. It doesn't matter what happens in DC. You might be looking for a correlation that doesn't exist.

But, for reference, this all depends on if we hit a recession or not. There is fear that it could happen sooner than later.

Here's a good article regarding the market anyways:

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.forbes.com/sites/johnwake/2022/04/01/the-real-reason-house-prices-are-skyrocketing-what-the-real-estate-industry-wont-tell-you/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16553899527023&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fjohnwake%2F2022%2F04%2F01%2Fthe-real-reason-house-prices-are-skyrocketing-what-the-real-estate-industry-wont-tell-you%2F

Edited by SteelKing728

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I didn't say that. 

My point is that I don't expect things to settle for some time . That's it. It doesn't matter what happens in DC. You might be looking for a correlation that doesn't exist.

yeah, my bad then.  When you referenced ‘24 it read as though you felt this was a situation that an election was going to resolve.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Lol “IF”…

Pro tip: don’t check your 401k or stocks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

Quick question, how much does it cost to have some trees trimmed?  I'm looking it up online and I got an estimate of $3000.  Is that average?  Too much?  I need 4 trimmed, although one is a neighbors who has branches over my property

seems high, but without more info or pics it's hard for any of us to say.

but i'm having an entire tree cut down for some clients (and it's tall!) and the stump ground down and everything hauled off for $3500.

I took a while to finish the job because of the water damage caused  by my old water heater but I replaced it with a tankless water heater and couldn't be more happy with the results so far. I do however need to replace the natural gas line from 1/2" to 3/4" in order to get optimal results from it.

• Like 1

I want to set up a "smart" home system with controllable lights, thermostat, cameras, and locks. 

I currently have Hue lights but I should be able to integrate those into most systems. 

Ring is the big name, but are there any competitors that are better?

If you guys were about to put your house on the market, would you pay to have your (small) lawn re-done if it's pretty crappy right now? IMHO it's one of the selling points of the house but idk if it matters enough to a potential buyer where it would justify spending like $3,000 to have it torn up and re-sodded prior to selling to appeal to buyers.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If you guys were about to put your house on the market, would you pay to have your (small) lawn re-done if it's pretty crappy right now? IMHO it's one of the selling points of the house but idk if it matters enough to a potential buyer where it would justify spending like $3,000 to have it torn up and re-sodded prior to selling to appeal to buyers.

In todays market, no. The lawn, probably rates pretty low on the priority list for potential buyers. If anyone decided, "no that "pretty crappy lawn" is the reason I don't want to have a place to live," then they probably weren't your demographic for buyers anyway. If the house itself is in decent shape, I would suggest listing it for more than you think its worth and giving enough time, before you review offers, for enough showings to happen. Not sure what the housing market is like where you are at, but you can fit several showings in per day and houses last on average, about a week.

Hope this helps. (For what its worth, working class families would take a beat up yard and a structurally sound home all day long)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Definitely not. I can’t see that being a deal breaker in todays market. A new buyer can come in and overseed and aerate/professionally treat it and it’ll look good as new in a year or two, and that’s something most home owners own and accept to some extent.

• Like 2