Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

14 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Old school tops made out of pressed wood were held in place from the bottom with screws. He used construction adhesive. It's all looking great now, though.

Oooooooh.  I gotcha.  Durrrr.  I was just thinking stone, and wondering like...wtf are there screws in there for?  Didn't even cross my mind that it'd be the "Very Normal" type of laminated pressboard for some reason.

Anyway...Cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some holes in the corner pieces of the connecting mortar that I'm looking to fill.  It's the bricks in the foundation and I think 8-legged insects that terrify my wife are getting in the house via these holes. What products do you people enjoy using to plug these holes? There's a ton out there and I'm not impressed with my previous solution. 

EDIT: And to ask, does anyone here have any methods to keep spiders out of your house?

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

On 9/11/2021 at 2:03 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I've got some holes in the corner pieces of the connecting mortar that I'm looking to fill.  It's the bricks in the foundation and I think 8-legged insects that terrify my wife are getting in the house via these holes. What products do you people enjoy using to plug these holes? There's a ton out there and I'm not impressed with my previous solution. 

Are we just talking small cracks around the foundation from the outside? DAP has a concrete patch that should work for that, if I’m understanding you right. Used that at our old house then coated the exterior foundation in masonry paint before selling so it looked better. 

On 9/11/2021 at 2:03 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And to ask, does anyone here have any methods to keep spiders out of your house?

Good luck there. As with anything you need to find how they are getting in. Do you live on a crawl space? Are there any gaps where your utilities run up to the main level that critters can make their way up easily? Are your doors and windows all airtight? Without knowing more it’s tough to answer. General principles though of sealing cracks, gaps, fixing screens, healthy moisture level, etc. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Are we just talking small cracks around the foundation from the outside? DAP has a concrete patch that should work for that, if I’m understanding you right. Used that at our old house then coated the exterior foundation in masonry paint before selling so it looked better. 

Good luck there. As with anything you need to find how they are getting in. Do you live on a crawl space? Are there any gaps where your utilities run up to the main level that critters can make their way up easily? Are your doors and windows all airtight? Without knowing more it’s tough to answer. General principles though of sealing cracks, gaps, fixing screens, healthy moisture level, etc. 

Yeah the chips are tiny but enough for bugs to get in there and find their way wherever inside my house. I haven't used DAP but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

Most spiders I find are webs around the base of my house into my garden so I'm guessing it's just from that. I have read about products you can put around the base of your house that deters them from making a nest. Have you ever used anything like that? Windows, doors, and stuff like that are certainly good to go. I do worry about them getting in through my chimney though as I do see a lot of stink bugs making their way in there somehow. Stupid things.....

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

23 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah the chips are tiny but enough for bugs to get in there and find their way wherever inside my house. I haven't used DAP but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

Most spiders I find are webs around the base of my house into my garden so I'm guessing it's just from that. I have read about products you can put around the base of your house that deters them from making a nest. Have you ever used anything like that? Windows, doors, and stuff like that are certainly good to go. I do worry about them getting in through my chimney though as I do see a lot of stink bugs making their way in there somehow. Stupid things.....

I have not used any remedies for spiders but I know there are a lot of homemade remedies out there. If you can DIY on this though that would be ideal, as anyone you pay will basically rip you off and do what you could do yourself.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Curious if anyone has put in a ductless AC & Heater inverter in the garage? We have most of our exercise stuff in there, but obviously that can be subject to some cold / hot weather and I'm curious how well one of those actually works in the garage 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man I had no idea we had this thread! Where have you guys been the past year. I completely demo'd my basement, walls ceilings, made built in murphy beds and wall niche's, redid all my lighting, floors, new drywall, gutted my kitchen and remodeled, new AC and furnaces. ....I feel a little idiotic trying to do it all myself when I had some quick help at my fingertips this whole time.... lmao

On 1/7/2022 at 7:34 PM, Forge said:

Curious if anyone has put in a ductless AC & Heater inverter in the garage? We have most of our exercise stuff in there, but obviously that can be subject to some cold / hot weather and I'm curious how well one of those actually works in the garage 

I’m getting a meeting setup to ask about this in a potential addition.

My wife’s parents had one in their house, and the AC worked fine, but the heater if it got too cold wasn’t sufficient, so I’d recommend baseboard electrical. Granted by you, you probably don’t have to worry about it.