Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

@Outpost31 do you make them for fun and then sell them? I’m picturing a loaded up garage full of bird houses.

I made about a dozen of them that I gave away because they weren’t very good.  I kept trying to get away with screws, but I’m using all scrap wood, so it wasn’t working very well at all.  Wood kept splitting, I kept missing on the angles.  Side note: I NEVER follow any kind of instructions or plans.  I look at a picture of something and I guess.  So the angles were really throwing me off.

I’ve repurposed the wood on about 20 of them that weren’t even good enough to give away.

But now that I’ve got the angles on the roofs right, I’ve been knocking out some pretty decent bird houses.

I’ve placed ten of them in my yard.

About ten are in the garage.

I have one of them that I just tried wood glue with that’s not finished that’s promised to a potential lady friend I may or may not be wooing that really made me put in a ton of effort.  It’s looking really good so far.  I could sell that design pretty easily.

So I’ve made probably 50 of them and I’m not remotely sick of it.  If I was to start selling them and they were to start making me money, this is the type of thing that could become more than just a hobby.

We will see.  All I know is that all my previous woodworking endeavors have just been leading to this.  There’s something infinitely more satisfying to making bird houses than any kind of furniture, and I’m ten times better at this than I ever was at making furniture.

I might actually start cutting up some of the furniture I made just to be able to turn it into more bird houses.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I made about a dozen of them that I gave away because they weren’t very good.  I kept trying to get away with screws, but I’m using all scrap wood, so it wasn’t working very well at all.  Wood kept splitting, I kept missing on the angles.  Side note: I NEVER follow any kind of instructions or plans.  I look at a picture of something and I guess.  So the angles were really throwing me off.

I’ve repurposed the wood on about 20 of them that weren’t even good enough to give away.

But now that I’ve got the angles on the roofs right, I’ve been knocking out some pretty decent bird houses.

I have one of them that I just tried wood glue with that’s not finished that’s promised to a potential lady friend I may or may not be wooing that really made me put in a ton of effort.  It’s looking really good so far.  I could sell that design pretty easily.

So I’ve made probably 50 of them and I’m not remotely sick of it.  If I was to start selling them and they were to start making me money, this is the type of thing that could become more than just a hobby.

We will see.  All I know is that all my previous woodworking endeavors have just been leading to this.  There’s something infinitely more satisfying to making bird houses than any kind of furniture, and I’m ten times better at this than I ever was at making furniture.

I might actually start cutting up some of the furniture I made just to be able to turn it into more bird houses.

I’ve done a kitchen table, laundry table (both turned out great), and my next big project will be board and batton shutters for the house.

• Like 1

Within the past year I have picked up woodworking and add about an acre of fencing around the back of the property, a 10 foot farmhouse table, various shelves, a work table, and a number of other items. You could pay a professional to do a more high-end job maybe, but it’s not going to lead to the same satisfaction. Plus, if it’s good work, and the wife doesn’t notice deficiencies, I defer to the wise words of Tommy Callahan: You can get a good look at a butcher’s *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn’t you rather take his word for it?” 

On 7/18/2021 at 6:21 PM, Outpost31 said:

Feel free to tell me to buzz off since you didn't ask for advice.  But make sure you're using Titebond III or another outdoor rated wood glue.  Also, make sure you're gluing long grain to long grain.  If you try to glue end grain, it might hold temporarily, but it's not a great permanent solution.  The end grain soaks up the glue, and prohibits the two surfaces from bonding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Feel free to tell me to buzz off since you didn't ask for advice.  But make sure you're using Titebond III or another outdoor rated wood glue.  Also, make sure you're gluing long grain to long grain.  If you try to glue end grain, it might hold temporarily, but it's not a great permanent solution.  The end grain soaks up the glue, and prohibits the two surfaces from bonding.

I’m a lot of things, but one thing I’ve never been is someone who will shun advice from people who know more about something than I do.

I appreciate the advice.  Always.

• Like 1

My house has a pretty flat roof with shingles. It’s getting kind of old and needs replaced. I’ve talked to a roofer and he recommended going with a flat roof option. I’m concerned about how that would look on the roof of a house. It seems pretty industrial. Are there any alternatives to black rubber plastic stuff or tar? Neither look too “homey.”

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My house has a pretty flat roof with shingles. It’s getting kind of old and needs replaced. I’ve talked to a roofer and he recommended going with a flat roof option. I’m concerned about how that would look on the roof of a house. It seems pretty industrial. Are there any alternatives to black rubber plastic stuff or tar? Neither look too “homey.”

@vike daddy

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 4:21 PM, Outpost31 said:

This seems like a really nice blend of psychotic and wholesome.  I'm into it.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:27 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

not too many options, no. particularly not cheap ones.

you could consider building a pitched frame roof on top of what you have, and then roofing it with more conventional shingles. expensive, yes, but also adds to the house's resale value.

22 hours ago, vike daddy said:

not too many options, no. particularly not cheap ones.

you could consider building a pitched frame roof on top of what you have, and then roofing it with more conventional shingles. expensive, yes, but also adds to the house's resale value.

From what I gather, my porch roof is the area that is particularly too flat. I wonder if there’s anything that could be done for that? Thanks for the suggestion about building new on top. I’ll talk to some people around here. It scares me to build anything now because of current lumber prices, though.

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Anybody know much about current concrete prices? I’m looking to build a load bearing retaining wall. Is it generally better to do that with cinder locks or poured concrete?

depends on what load you're going to put on it, and whether you intend to do it yourself or hire a subcontractor.

poured concrete is better as it produces a more stable end product. cinder blocks (which then can have their empty cells filled with concrete for added strength and stability) are cheaper.

• Like 1