***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

For the record, Avengers: Age of Ultron really came out bloated to me, where the only thing I enjoyed was the continuation of Stark's nightmare angle, and I did like the introduction of Vision & Scarlet Witch (and the hammer scene with him).     I also never read a single Avengers comic in my youth (although I did read Civil War and Infinity Wars when I bought it for my now-teenage daughter used set), although I read Spidey, Batman & Superman comics (but not religiously).   

And I loved this movie.  I absolutely hate it when the fanboy callout comes out.   It's such a case of projection IMO - no need for that.   

A few observations about the criticisms:

1.  Motivation - really?  People can't figure out Thanos' motivation?  It's only spelled out explicitly in the movie - he sees the universe as overcrowded, with finite resources.  Unchecked, life will snuff itself out.   It requires a check & balance - why he kills half of the population on the planets that he conquers.  So when he runs into a ship filled with an entire population, we're supposed to question why he wouldn't wipe out half that ship, either?   Criticizing a lack of explicit motivation is a HUGE reach.

2.  Not showing Xandar - There are 5 stones.  Do we need to see every stone collected?   No.    Does it somehow detract?  No.   

3  Defeating Loki/Thor - so we need to see how he was able to defeat them first?  How is it not apparent how powerful Thanos is with showing how he crushed Hulk?  Really?  That's a criticism?

4.  Thor - He wasn't part of the Avenger/Wakanda's defense plans, and he didn't have any comms - so  it explains why he's there late, too (as the other Avengers are comm'd in).   

5.  Strange - there was 1 outcome that led to victory that he saw.    This was it.   It's not that hard to decipher.

6.  Alternate ways to defeat Thanos from the past - again, though, none of those ideas cited are that simple.  Any action in past changes the timeline with all sorts of unexpected outcomes.    

7.  No drama - man, no words. 

Honestly, it seems like the criticism boils down to "why didn't everything get explicitly explained?" to say the plot is trash.     That's an awful, awful take.   Plots are supposed to give enough to let audiences make proper inferences.   Movies aren't supposed to spoon-feed every point so it's painfully obvious.   Only shows meant for 5-year olds.  This is a show for young adults & adults.   Who are smart enough NOT to be spoon fed.  SMH.

Great story-telling actually allows people to discuss where they're asked to fill in the blanks.  If it's done well, the projections can be made.   If people can't make a logical connection, then fair enough.   But it doesn't suddenly mean that if a plot actually acts the audience to make projections, then it's trash.  Come on, this isn't Saturday morning cartoon TV.  

Honestly, if people didn't find it dramatic, or tragic at times, then I don't know what will impress them.   That's fine, we all don't have to agree.  This will be one of those times.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, RamRod said:

Spider-Man will make quick work of Scorpion in the next Spidey movie after fighting Thanos and his army.

He's gonna eventually give up the Iron-Spider suit for some lame reason. 
In the comics, I think he does it for some reason related to the first Marvel Civil War but I can't remember.

11 minutes ago, 4thDownHailMary said:

He's gonna eventually give up the Iron-Spider suit for some lame reason. 
In the comics, I think he does it for some reason related to the first Marvel Civil War but I can't remember.

Deadpool is going up show up in Spider-Man 2 (or whatever it will be called) say "okay, movies are done, deals done, Disney wants their property back.... Sorry kid" 

Then kick Peter in the nuts and take the suit.

4 minutes ago, 4thDownHailMary said:

Ah yes, I was twelve once too. 

Huh? That would actually perfectly fit the deadpool character... Sophomoric humor is kinda his thing. Obviously it's not actually going to happen, the post wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

And thanks for making me realize it's been 19 years since I was 12.... As if I didn't feel old enough already ?

Edited by rob_shadows

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

So, I read your little rant and came to one conclusion - you went into it with the intent that you were not going to like it. Pretty much every complaint you have is something that can be solved by simply paying attention instead of saying "I don't like it" while the movie was going on. The movie could have been shooting $20 bills at you for two hours, you'd complain that they weren't $100s. 

Let's go to the replay, shall we?

This is your first Marvel movie, I see. None of this was forced. In fact, it's been put into place over the last 10 years. No problem, no biggie.

But they tell us how. The opening dialogue in the movie is the distress call, going into how it's not a military vessel and it's nothing but civilians on board, so beating everyone is simply firing on the ship (which they show). After that, they literally show Thanos make very short work of the same Hulk you mention. (That was kind of the joke - Loki mentions "we have a Hulk" echoing the same words Tony Stark said to him in the first Avengers movie).

Loki had a plan - a plan that failed, but Loki didn't know it would fail. He needed to give the Tesseract to Thanos to try to stab him in the neck and end it. Had Loki knew Thanos would see the dagger, I'm sure he'd try something else.

Hulk not showing up is kind of a big plot point - and I think he referenced it a few times. This is Disney we're talking about, if THEY ran out of money, we're all in trouble as a country.

Another plot point you completely missed. Or, you're being intentionally obtuse to. They all agreed that fighting Thanos away from Earth was the better idea.

We've seen how careless Tivan and his people are on Knowhere are with the events of Guardians of the Galaxy, so it isn't too much of a stretch to think a motivated Thanos would be able to get the stone with little resistance. I mean, Ronan got the Power Stone from there with little resistance as well. (You've SEEN Guardians of the Galaxy...right?)

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 kinda goes over the Gamora/Nebula relationship. I'd suggest watching that movie, it's not as good as the first, but it's good...

I think that was kind of the point - a moment where everyone says "Oh hell, Peter!" But, it's one of the 14,000,605 potential outcomes that Dr. Strange saw, and he chose to let it play out as so - because there's only one road to victory, and this WASN'T going to be it.

See? You had no intention on liking this movie if this is your take. That's fine, but own up to it at least. Being hipster ain't easy, son.

I'll cover the rest later, but your takes come off as either being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, or legitimately clueless.

I salute you for having the patient to try and educate. I stopped reading what he wrote after the first few lines. It was clear dude's stance wasn't going to walk the path of objectivity. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

For the record, Avengers: Age of Ultron really came out bloated to me, where the only thing I enjoyed was the continuation of Stark's nightmare angle, and I did like the introduction of Vision & Scarlet Witch (and the hammer scene with him).     I also never read a single Avengers comic in my youth (although I did read Civil War and Infinity Wars when I bought it for my now-teenage daughter used set), although I read Spidey, Batman & Superman comics (but not religiously).   

For me this film just felt like another big epic moment for the entire franchise. The first to me was Avengers 1 where we got to see everyone on screen in the same film for the first time. That was a memorable experience. Avengers 2 didn't really have that. Avengers 3 we're getting another payoff with Thanos, something like the first Avengers film everyone was waiting for. 

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

So, I read your little rant and came to one conclusion - you went into it with the intent that you were not going to like it. Pretty much every complaint you have is something that can be solved by simply paying attention instead of saying "I don't like it" while the movie was going on. The movie could have been shooting $20 bills at you for two hours, you'd complain that they weren't $100s. 

Let's go to the replay, shall we?

This is your first Marvel movie, I see. None of this was forced. In fact, it's been put into place over the last 10 years. No problem, no biggie.

But they tell us how. The opening dialogue in the movie is the distress call, going into how it's not a military vessel and it's nothing but civilians on board, so beating everyone is simply firing on the ship (which they show). After that, they literally show Thanos make very short work of the same Hulk you mention. (That was kind of the joke - Loki mentions "we have a Hulk" echoing the same words Tony Stark said to him in the first Avengers movie).

Loki had a plan - a plan that failed, but Loki didn't know it would fail. He needed to give the Tesseract to Thanos to try to stab him in the neck and end it. Had Loki knew Thanos would see the dagger, I'm sure he'd try something else.

Hulk not showing up is kind of a big plot point - and I think he referenced it a few times. This is Disney we're talking about, if THEY ran out of money, we're all in trouble as a country.

Another plot point you completely missed. Or, you're being intentionally obtuse to. They all agreed that fighting Thanos away from Earth was the better idea.

We've seen how careless Tivan and his people are on Knowhere are with the events of Guardians of the Galaxy, so it isn't too much of a stretch to think a motivated Thanos would be able to get the stone with little resistance. I mean, Ronan got the Power Stone from there with little resistance as well. (You've SEEN Guardians of the Galaxy...right?)

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 kinda goes over the Gamora/Nebula relationship. I'd suggest watching that movie, it's not as good as the first, but it's good...

I think that was kind of the point - a moment where everyone says "Oh hell, Peter!" But, it's one of the 14,000,605 potential outcomes that Dr. Strange saw, and he chose to let it play out as so - because there's only one road to victory, and this WASN'T going to be it.

See? You had no intention on liking this movie if this is your take. That's fine, but own up to it at least. Being hipster ain't easy, son.

I'll cover the rest later, but your takes come off as either being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, or legitimately clueless.

I didn't spend $40 and drive over an hour one way to see a movie I wasn't going to enjoy man. You guys all enjoyed it and are clearly marvel fanboys and that's good for you, but being objective this was probably the worst non Thor marvel film yet.

42 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

I would never listen to another persons opinion on anything if they told me they didn't enjoy this movie. People who dislike this film just want to be edgy 

Lmao y'all are salty af in here. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's day, if you enjoyed the movie that's great. But this movie is objectively bad in plenty of ways, to ignore that and act like Im mentally ill is laughable.

4 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I didn't spend $40 and drive over an hour one way to see a movie I wasn't going to enjoy man. You guys all enjoyed it and are clearly marvel fanboys and that's good for you, but being objective this was probably the worst non Thor marvel film yet.

Listen, you're entitled to your opinion.  But please stop with the fanboy callout. 

It's actually inaccurate in my case, I'm sure that applies to a lot of people who saw it.  And frankly, it's irrelevant if people are using points to make their point.   If you really are interested in a discussion, leave that out.  I'm not going to insult you with labels, can you say the same?   If that's what you're left with, maybe consider what that means about the arguments you're making.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3