Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

51 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

He doesn't even look like he enjoys playing anymore. 

Can’t blame him considering he has no targets to throw to and  other older QBs like Brady, Manning, Favre ended up landing in good spots at the tail end of their career to win rings (except for Favre). I guess you can blame him, he could have left. I think that’s what he really wanted in the end, one last run at a ring. But Rodgers knew what he was getting into returning to GB, with Adams wanting out to play with Carr. 

Im surprised they didn’t do more to get better WRs in the off-season, seems foolish to make a final super bowl run with your HOF QB and give him a bottom tier WR group to work with. But he signed the contract so I have zero sympathy. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

The Green Bay Packers have been linked to wide receivers in trade rumors all season. However, there is now a credible report linking the franchise to a specific veteran receiver who could possibly help kick-start the offense.

With the NFL trade deadline approaching, ESPN insiders shared their latest rumors and buzz that they’ve been hearing around the league on the morning of Wednesday, October 26. Not surprisingly, the Packers were brought up as trade candidates for a wide receiver, with Dan Graziano mentioning a specific veteran:

“Anyway, I’m fascinated to see whether the Packers go outside of their comfort zone and make a move for a pass catcher. I think injuries to Christian Watson, Randall Cobb and Allen Lazard might make it more likely. One interesting name I heard for them was A.J. Green, who doesn’t seem to be a factor for Arizona and would bring a veteran presence the Green Bay WR room doesn’t have right now.”

https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/aj-green-trade-rumors-deadline-cardinals/?fbclid=IwAR2Cj_WrisrGi7Unx-MDsEGFYZYHBVps2Da6-n_t9hXos063h5HTnLVJ584

Aaron Rodgers: “People in this society have a hard time hearing truth sometimes. I’m not saying anything [publicly] that I’m not saying to those guys. So, maybe that’s talking about a conversation that’s behind closed doors in public, but the level of accountability is  the standard here. Again, I don’t think it should be a problem to any of those guys to hear criticism. We all hear criticism in our own ways, and we’ve all got to be OK with it and take it in and process it. And if it doesn’t fit, then it doesn’t fit. But if it fits, we’ve got to wear it and improve on those certain things."

“I’m not going to be a robot up here. I don’t understand why people have a problem with things that are truthful. You know, I’m calling things the way I see it. If people don’t think I need to air that stuff out, that’s their opinion. But I’m doing what I think is in the best interests of our guys, and I’ve tried a lot of different things from a leadership standpoint this year. And I was relating my personal feelings on the situation. I didn’t call anybody out by name."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/26/aaron-rodgers-on-calling-out-mistakes-publicly-people-in-this-society-have-a-hard-time-hearing-truth-sometimes/

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Aaron Rodgers: “People in this society have a hard time hearing truth sometimes. I’m not saying anything [publicly] that I’m not saying to those guys. So, maybe that’s talking about a conversation that’s behind closed doors in public, but the level of accountability is  the standard here. Again, I don’t think it should be a problem to any of those guys to hear criticism. We all hear criticism in our own ways, and we’ve all got to be OK with it and take it in and process it. And if it doesn’t fit, then it doesn’t fit. But if it fits, we’ve got to wear it and improve on those certain things."

“I’m not going to be a robot up here. I don’t understand why people have a problem with things that are truthful. You know, I’m calling things the way I see it. If people don’t think I need to air that stuff out, that’s their opinion. But I’m doing what I think is in the best interests of our guys, and I’ve tried a lot of different things from a leadership standpoint this year. And I was relating my personal feelings on the situation. I didn’t call anybody out by name."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/26/aaron-rodgers-on-calling-out-mistakes-publicly-people-in-this-society-have-a-hard-time-hearing-truth-sometimes/

I have no problem with people being truthful, but you can be truthful without being a jackass.  That's where his difficulty lies.  

• Like 3

SB Nation on Monday, October 24, pitched the notion of the Packers going all-in on a multiyear rebuild rather than seeking out a pass-catcher and a run-stopper to address the needs of an expensive roster that has underachieved through seven games this season. At the center of that plan is dealing star running back Aaron Jones before his contract situation grows considerably more complicated next summer:

"The one star of this season from whom it seems Green Bay really should move on is Aaron Jones. Jones has been the only semblance of competent offense this year, but the financial situation for the team is not tenable. Jones’ cap hit in 2023 is slightly over $20M. The Packers could restructure it a bit or, god forbid, extend the running back well into his thirties, but that seems entirely pointless for a team going nowhere fast for the last few productive years he has."

"The best option for Green Bay is to move Jones on in the midst of a career year and take the draft capital received and build out the team the next two years. While Jones is unlikely to get the haul that Christian McCaffrey got Carolina (even though Jones has been both better and more reliable for the past few years), even getting a couple of day two picks would be very helpful to the team going forward."

https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/aaron-jones-trade-rumors-aj-dillon/?fbclid=IwAR3dujX8T0wxlubs-j-Pl_5Wi6Z8NwzwL3YlY2ADP198ysRnVX4iEdJXLqU

@Outpost31, your thoughts...?

Packers ain’t winning a Super Bow on Aaron’s contract, plus they’ve got Dillon, who would be an above average starter.

If it’s a loss to the Bills, pull the trigger and trade Jones at the deadline.

If it’s a win, hopefully they’re buyers at the deadline.

But you’re not getting the help you need in free agency paying Rodgers, Bakht, Jones, Alexander and soon Gary. One of them has to go before the Packers can compete.

This is the same reason I told y’all you would have been better off sticking with Keenum and waiting to luck into your QB.

• Like 1

Y’all need to do the same thing with Cook though honestly.

The disparity between running backs is not what it used to be anymore, and even if it was, the league isn’t really predicated around the running game anymore.

The RB position is still a seriously overrated position, and we’re both three years minimum from a Super Bowl win because neither of our teams are winning a Super Bowl paying our quarterbacks what we’re paying them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Y’all need to do the same thing with Cook though honestly.

The disparity between running backs is not what it used to be anymore, and even if it was, the league isn’t really predicated around the running game anymore.

The RB position is still a seriously overrated position, and we’re both three years minimum from a Super Bowl win because neither of our teams are winning a Super Bowl paying our quarterbacks what we’re paying them.

Mattison is more than capable. I wasn’t a fan of the Cook extension. 

31 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Mattison is more than capable

He really isn’t.

Mattison is good for a handful of Carrie’s a game. Maybe he even gives you a game or two of good production in relief of Cook. But Cook is not only far more consistent, he’s a better receiver out of the backfield, he’s a better blocker in pass pro, and he gives you one thing that Mattison never will in a true home run threat.