Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think the perception of Aaron Rodgers has taken a hit over the last couple of years nationally, so I'm not sure he'd have as many opportunities as he did before that. 

That's possible but I feel like if he retired and stayed out of the spot light for a couple seasons that the perception of him would be a little more neutral.  

Bears and Vikings fans will still have a strong dislike for him but packer fans will appreciate him more after seeing what's it's like to not have a HOF quarterback. 

Staying out of the spot light would be easier said than done for him though

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Does the talk around a possible Rodgers trade seem different this year?

It just seems like there is a lot more certainty in the discussions, rather than a will they/should they approach. 

yes, it definitely does. but even more so that when they were faced with trading Favre, Rodgers is saying how he calls the shots.

fun fact: Favre accepted a trade to the Tampa Bay offered by the Green Bay execs and thought it was all wrapped up. he got on a private jet to go back home, and when he got off the plane he found out he had been traded to the Jets instead.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Does the talk around a possible Rodgers trade seem different this year?

It just seems like there is a lot more certainty in the discussions, rather than a will they/should they approach. 

Last year the front office at GB was stating how much they wanted Aaron back.  Over and over again.

This year?  The coach has said it...but outside of that....crickets.

Believe me, you want Rodgers in GB.  He cripples our cap and he flat out doesn't produce in big games anymore, except in mop up time.

The last thing you want is Rodgers to leave...GB gets compensation....and and easier path to a "good" cap situation.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Last year the front office at GB was stating how much they wanted Aaron back.  Over and over again.

This year?  The coach has said it...but outside of that....crickets.

Believe me, you want Rodgers in GB.  He cripples our cap and he flat out doesn't produce in big games anymore, except in mop up time.

The last thing you want is Rodgers to leave...GB gets compensation....and and easier path to a "good" cap situation.  

You make a great case...however, I'm tired of the Vikings playing him twice every year.  I want the Packers to have a mere mortal at the QB position for the first time in three decades!  Love may make me regret my words...but I'm willing to bet that he will be like Elvis Grbac following Joe Montana and Steve Young.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

You make a great case...however, I'm tired of the Vikings playing him twice every year.  I want the Packers to have a mere mortal at the QB position for the first time in three decades!  Love may make me regret my words...but I'm willing to bet that he will be like Elvis Grbac following Joe Montana and Steve Young.

I'm a Packer fan.  Apologies in advance.

I find it highly unlikely that GB strikes gold the third time.

But....if I'm being fair to Jordan Love.  Dude has a cannon for an arm.  Coaches kid.  Smart.  Now knows the offense.  And he has a chip on his shoulder for not playing.

He was putrid as a rookie.  No accuracy.  No leadership....etc.

But he turned the corner this past year.  Started practicing and playing with a lot more confidence.

I'm feeling like he is probably the equivalent of Jeff Garcia.  And just maybe....better.

I think you are better off with Rodgers back there not throwing to the middle of the field and flat out disappearing in big games.  While taking a huge chunk of the salary cap.

The last thing you want is GB with a solid QB making mid range QB dollars and having a healthy cap.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The details for the Green Bay Packers‘ fifth-year option on quarterback Jordan Love just became official.

To clarify, the Packers have not yet exercised their option on the backup QB, who was drafted in first round back in 2020 and will enter his fourth NFL season in 2023. However, the NFL clarified exactly what a fifth year for Love will cost Green Bay, and it isn’t going to be cheap.

Fifth-year prices vary by position and based on what a player has accomplished, relying mostly on any Pro-Bowl selections and how much playing time the player in question has on his resumé.

As Love has played only sparingly behind four-time MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers since entering the league, he falls into category four, which is the cheapest of all. Even still, according to numbers provided by the league via Breer on Wednesday, the Packers will have to pay Love $20,272,000 if they want to keep him with the franchise through 2024.

https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/jordan-love-contract-extension-aaron-rodgers/?fbclid=IwAR1u4kWLPKpDVlIedh_9O3Nym-LJ34HiqhL78e3Zndt1q6fd9qrkVj7ZJhU

The Packers' star QB plans to consider all options during his darkness retreat, detailing recently on The Pat McAfee Show that returning to Green Bay, asking for a trade and retiring are all options. The team is respecting Rodgers' need for time to make his decision, and if Rodgers comes to the team with a request to play his 19th season elsewhere, sources say the Packers are open to working with the four-time AP NFL MVP on a trade.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-waiting-on-aaron-rodgers-decision-on-future-open-to-trade-if-qb-wants-on

This is how this story makes me feel.

Ahhhhhhh! (Aaron Rodgers) | Reaction GIFs

This is so ridiculous...Aaron Rodgers says "I may play somewhere else" and the team says "We're open to discussing trading him if he tells us he wants to play somewhere else."  Dear Lord, almighty...