Are You Smarter - Live Picks Info/Discussion Thread

y2lamanaki

Happy Draft Eve everyone!

I've been seeing a lot of new folks and returning folks around here lately, so many of you might not be familiar with these threads. Here's a quick idea: In 2015, I was bored and looked back at a few old mocks from years past. As they say, a draft class typically takes 3 years to fully grade, so I looked back at mocks that were at least 3 years old and graded them vs. Trent Baalke's picks (hint: everyone did very well because they are not Trent Baalke). The problem with mocks, though, was that people would select players long after they were taken in the actual draft, making it a bit of an unfair comparison. So - yearly now, we all make our picks immediately following the draft and store them away where we will review in 3 years to see how everyone did. Here's the thread of all past reviews: 

This is 100% a 'for fun only' kind of deal, so it's important to keep that in mind. 

---

This year - I have a new wrinkle I'd like to add - the ability to make picks live. Many of us will be hanging around the forum, most through the first round, many of us through the first three, and a few dedicated people for all seven. So - why not have even more fun? After the draft, it's a bit easier to be biased by the actual draft and say "Well, I should pick this guy before he's taken at the next pick." This removes that. This also allows for another idea: trades. 

The actual draft has a lot of trades, and many of us beg the team to trade up for a player who is falling rapidly. In the live picks thread - I'm going to allow trades up the board. Here's how it works - you will propose a trade up with the team on the board. You will list your offer. I will review it and decide whether or not the other team should make that trade (so you'll have to be enticing). Your trade should look like this: 

Trade #9, #59, and #184 to the Indianapolis Colts for #6 and #131. 49ers select G, Quenton Nelson

If I feel it's fair and the other team would do it (and I plan to be somewhat generous in deciding this; and I'll even confer with @Forge if I'm uncertain), I will grant the trade (as long as the player selected is still available in the actual draft). 

The only thing I will not accept is a trade down the board unless the 49ers make that trade themselves. So, as much as we might want to trade with the Pats for #23 and #31, if it doesn't actually happen, we'll have to assume that the Patriots were never interested in trading up. 

You don't have to make the picks live. I will still post a separate "Make your picks" thread after the draft for those who are unable to be here live or just don't wish to be a part of the live draft. 

Look for the 2015 Are You Smarter Than an NFL GM thread sometime in May!

I like this idea! I generally sit there and overthink things/falling for the guys we drafted after doing some research. The only problem I see with this is I think many of us will do some severe over drafting haha. 

3 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I like this idea! I generally sit there and overthink things/falling for the guys we drafted after doing some research. The only problem I see with this is I think many of us will do some severe over drafting haha. 

That last part is true, and also why I hope many will try it this way. I think that it will provide a more accurate review and a bigger challenge as well.

@y2lamanaki I thought we were doing the review on 2015 this year? 

2015 is an interesting year in this game because it was the first year that we switched to the post draft version of it rather than just using the mock drafts. 

Also, looking at my previous picks  for 15/16/17, I kind of suck at this game. 15 wasn't really a great draft for most of us, though a lot of us landed Marcus Peters lol

My 16 was pretty trash but I landed Buckner/Thomas so I'm happy lol.

Last year I had us taking Thomas/Engram/Witherspoon....Forget the rest. 

But I like this format. I'll try to take part in it. Probably won't for all the picks in day three though. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

My 16 was pretty trash but I landed Buckner/Thomas so I'm happy lol.

Last year I had us taking Thomas/Engram/Witherspoon....Forget the rest. 

But I like this format. I'll try to take part in it. Probably won't for all the picks in day three though. 

You did better than most of us in 16 because a lot of us took Tunsil in round one. We did back it up with Jack who has really come on, so that doens't look like a bad pick anymore.  I did land Jordan Howard later on, and I took Jeremy Cash in round 7 who I am pretty sure is still out there kicking around the league. 

We did really well in FFMD that year though - Conklin, Chris Jones, Blake Martinez, Graham Glasgow. Even Jonathan Jones is getting decent snaps in NE and not the worst thing ever. Really feel like we killed the draft in our FFMD that year. 

Also, Christian Westerman was loved by pretty much everyone and has completely flopped lol

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

You did better than most of us in 16 because a lot of us took Tunsil in round one. We did back it up with Jack who has really come on, so that doens't look like a bad pick anymore.  I did land Jordan Howard later on, and I took Jeremy Cash in round 7 who I am pretty sure is still out there kicking around the league. 

We did really well in FFMD that year though - Conklin, Chris Jones, Blake Martinez, Graham Glasgow. Even Jonathan Jones is getting decent snaps in NE and not the worst thing ever. Really feel like we killed the draft in our FFMD that year. 

Also, Christian Westerman was loved by pretty much everyone and has completely flopped lol

Don't forget my pick of Vernon Adams in the 3rd round!!!! Just wait three more years when he lights up the CFL!!!! 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

@y2lamanaki I thought we were doing the review on 2015 this year? 

2015 is an interesting year in this game because it was the first year that we switched to the post draft version of it rather than just using the mock drafts. 

Also, looking at my previous picks  for 15/16/17, I kind of suck at this game. 15 wasn't really a great draft for most of us, though a lot of us landed Marcus Peters lol

Yeah, there were like 6 of us that took part in the "Who would you have taken?" thread. That may have even been what sparked the original idea to be honest. I will still review mocks in 2015 for those that weren't involved in that thread. But starting next year, we will be fully in the post-draft threads. Which is exciting for me, because looking through and trying to find everyone's mocks is a PAIN.

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

Woot! I will be interested in looking at the results in four years time as the contracts draw to a close. ****************WOOOOOO YOU SAID KAMERION WIMBLEY WOOOOOO***********

I'm stoked that you will be joining us this year! I love looking back at the picks, so hopefully you'll enjoy as well...in 2021.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm not giving up on Tunsil, I think he was better as a rookie and I expect he'll be better this year. I stayed true to my board that year - Tunsil, Jack, Buckner were my 1, 2, and 3 (and I don't feel bad about where Wentz/Goff were ranked).

Archived