MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

1 minute ago, John232 said:

He dropped out once against bisping in 2015 and dropped out over a month ahead of Rockhold due to Staph. Am I missing anything else? Genuine question.  

Sure, maybe it's his camp. But, again, **** happened. They didn't disclose for monetary reasons.  There are a lot of reasons why they might not have disclosed this though. This is also the same camp that also with Robert, recognized there were bigger health issues going on. Idk, his Camp has largely been one of the best in the division when it comes to game planning and making adjustments. Nothing about his camp seems inept. Again, this just screams of typical Dana BS. Like moving JJ to LA. 

The Hernia also could have gotten much worse in the last 24 hours, which is why the surgery is happening now. You aren't privy to all the details (nor am I), so It's not fair to jump to conclusions. Maybe they thought it was a soft tissue injury at the start, something they could easily tough out, and then it got much much worse. 

He's dropped out twice as a title fight headliner in his last 3 scheduled fights. That's the epitome of unreliable. I love Whittaker because he's an amazing fighter but it's hard to get excited for him because you don't know if he's actually going to fight. 

It is what it is. You don't **** around with a hernia, no matter how small it may be. If they let Dana and the UFC talk them into trying to "gut it out" then they are indeed inept in that regard. LIS, you do not **** around with any type of hernia, especially in the fight game. That's potentially risking Robert's life for no reason other than $$$.

Just now, beekay414 said:

He's dropped out twice as a title fight headliner in his last 3 scheduled fights. That's the epitome of unreliable. I love Whittaker because he's an amazing fighter but it's hard to get excited for him because you don't know if he's actually going to fight. 

It is what it is. You don't **** around with a hernia, no matter how small it may be. If they let Dana and the UFC talk them into trying to "gut it out" then they are indeed inept in that regard. LIS, you do not **** around with any type of hernia, especially in the fight game. That's potentially risking Robert's life for no reason other than $$$.

I guess my point on the reliability front is that they are in fact injuries. Staph isn't really on anyone in his camp. That's literally a product of a janitorial staff not doing their job. A hernia this late into the week screams misdiagnosis to me. Though, someone with more knowledge might know. My wife is working on her MD so I might ask her about it later. Regardless, any misdiagnosis is on the UFC. Maybe his camp had him training way too hard last second (which I don't think they would do as that's monumentally stupid). Maybe it was a weight cut thing, but it seems like since he moved up to 185, weight cutting is no longer been a problem. 

My point to your last part is there There are multiple things happening that could have lead to this point. Misdiagnosis, fluke injury causing the hernia, or a straight up rapid increase in symptoms that lead to an emergency. My brother was in extremely good shape, (in the army), never had a serious injury history and got a Hernia getting out of a car. After Tony ripped his LCL apart because he tripped on a rope barrier, i'll never ever jump to a conclusion on an injury. There's so many weird variables at play. I just think it's ****ty to call him AND his camp unreliable. It appears like it's a bad stretch of luck. And as I said before, he's done typically two fights a year pace. He could still do it. 

I'm just more baffled at how Dana didn't have a backup. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

He's there covering the fight for his show with Ariel, correct? It would never happen because I'm sure he's walking around at like 220 lbs lol.

That's what I'm trying to find out. But yeah, I mean...It shouldn't happen..but if it did..it would be a great. Maybe not a great fight, but it's Chael, so it'd be great regardless. 

• Like 1

Terrible. 

Some people have pointed out that rapid weight gain can cause hernias, but that's usually due to fatties like myself gaining weight super fast in a sedentary lifestyle. Rehydration doesn't cause this. Just another instance of bad luck for him. 

Edited by John232

2 hours ago, John232 said:

It's also incredibly stupid that there were no 185 replacements on deck.  Whether or not you agree with the notion that Robert isn't reliable, the fact that one of Jacare, Weidman or Costa wasn't on deck triggers me a bit. Though, i'm not sure if any of those guys are already booked. 

I was gonna say none of them deserve a shot but neither did Iaquinta