MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Conor is about money. Just like 99% of the world. If all those champs had the option of fighting Floyd for 100M or jumping to another title fight for way more money instead of defending, they would all choose that option. The hate just comes from jealousy.

Even if Conor loses, he's still Top 10 P4P and extremely proven with having done more than 99% of fighters in the UFC.

I dont care that hes about the money, i dont care that he hasnt defend...im annoyed that its all about money for the ufc and nothing about the sport and whos put in work. It leads to all this copy cat bull crap trash talking. Its old. Connors crap is old. His followers crap is old. Its just wwe nonsense. And I can get over it and scroll past all the nonsense. Its a stain on the sport, especially when its shrugged off as persona. 

But do you find him to be p4p top ten now, or all time?

14 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

I dont care that hes about the money, i dont care that he hasnt defend...im annoyed that its all about money for the ufc and nothing about the sport and whos put in work. It leads to all this copy cat bull crap trash talking. Its old. Connors crap is old. His followers crap is old. Its just wwe nonsense. And I can get over it and scroll past all the nonsense. Its a stain on the sport, especially when its shrugged off as persona.

But do you find him to be p4p top ten now, or all time?

Now, of course.

At the moment I have him 5th behind Jon Jones, Cormier, Khabib, and TJ Dillashaw. Even with a loss, I still think he's around 9th at worse.

You say all that stuff is old, but I also feel Conors haters is getting quite old as well. It's just blind hate and hating something to hate something. Reminds me a lot of Apple Haters, such a similar group of people. Go around with so much hatred and claim the fans are fanboys. When the fans are calm, collected, and non arrogant. The haters do not realize, they, in fact, are the irrational ones.

The Conor hate is getting unreal in terms of purely as a fighter. I get not liking the cocky side and you can say its selling fights but then he threw the dolly so there’s definitely more to it but from a fighting perspective he isn’t overrated imo. He beat the unbeatable in Aldo and then crushed Alvarez like a bug. I dont even care about the Holloway fight bc it was ages ago. He got overconfident vs Diaz fighting in a weight class he had no business fighting in but otherwise he is all time great on the feet and doesnt have Jones-like performance enhancers 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Now, of course.

At the moment I have him 5th behind Jon Jones, Cormier, Khabib, and TJ Dillashaw. Even with a loss, I still think he's around 9th at worse.

You say all that stuff is old, but I also feel Conors haters is getting quite old as well. It's just blind hate and hating something to hate something. Reminds me a lot of Apple Haters, such a similar group of people. Go around with so much hatred and claim the fans are fanboys. When the fans are calm, collected, and non arrogant. The haters do not realize, they, in fact, are the irrational ones.

Where is my irrational thought?

connor shouldnt be fighting because he assaulted staff and fighters.

Hes antics are old and drawn out.

and he’s overrated, which even by your rating, has him lower then what is on the ranking for ufc. (Which is 2) 

im not saying he isnt a great fighter. He just hasnt proved himself like the laundry list of fighters in history that are above him. When he beat eddie he was a fighter i looked as possible the goat. But right now as it stands he has a lot to prove if you put him in a top 25 all time fighters but people regularly bring him up as a top 5 all time. 

Khabib is also highly unproven. If he beats connor hes also on that greatness path that connor was on. So this fight, marketed as the greatest fight of all time, has me at not even the most interesting fight this year. 

My only problem with connor, that makes me not care about his fights, is that he attacked the bus. Its inexcusable. But my much larger problem is that he treated like hes head and shoulders above all other fighters.

54 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

My only problem with connor, that makes me not care about his fights, is that he attacked the bus. Its inexcusable. But my much larger problem is that he treated like hes head and shoulders above all other fighters.

You might not want to ever run a business with that moral high ground you have. Conor is a 15x bigger draw than anyone on the UFC Roster. He has elevated MMA in viewership more so than anyone has done for their own sport minus Tiger Woods for Golf. (Hard to do in team sports). Hate him or not, he's already going down as an icon and HoFer. Lose? Still Top 10 P4P, still the biggest draw, still will have extreme pull. If your UFC Management, are you gonna send Conor McGregor out there and 100M in your pockets? Or send literally anyone else in the UFC out there and get sub 10M? He's that big of a draw.

Anyways, there is two other fights in 2018/Early 2019 that can be just as big as Conor/Khabib.

Tyron Woodley vs GSP.

I've wanted to see this fight forever. Tyron is already easily the second best WW of all time. Screw Matt Hughes. Competition was garbage back then and his skillset is nothing compared to Woodley. Woodley is an elite fighter. These are the two best WW's of all time going at it, and possibly two of the Top 10 fighters ever to go at it. This is a huge super fight I'd love to see. The style intrigues me quite a bit. Both men are good at neutralizing their opponent in the stand up game. Tyron is a fantastic defensive wrestler. GSP is a fantastic offensive wrestler, the best of all time. Both men are similar size. Great matchup. I didn't care about GSP vs Bisping. Don't care about GSP vs Khabib/Conor. GSP wins that with size against Khabib, and horrible matchup for Conor + size advantage. I've wanted GSP vs Woodley for a while. Only GSP fight I care about.

Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier III at Heavyweight for the Heavyweight Title.

Jon Jones owns Cormier at 205 so it can't be there.

1) These may be the two best fighters of all time. That is a fair argument, honestly. So even though Cormier is 0-2, I don't mind seeing it again as long as it's at Heavyweight this time.

2) Cormier has a serious chance at Heavyweight, guy hits like a brick at Heavyweight. I expect it to be almost a 50/50 Fight if contested at the Heavyweight division. Maybe Jones -110 and Cormier +100. Super close.

These would be three historic matchups that are very important to UFCs history.

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You might not want to ever run a business with that moral high ground you have. Conor is a 15x bigger draw than anyone on the UFC Roster. He has elevated MMA in viewership more so than anyone has done for their own sport minus Tiger Woods for Golf. (Hard to do in team sports). Hate him or not, he's already going down as an icon and HoFer. Lose? Still Top 10 P4P, still the biggest draw, still will have extreme pull. If your UFC Management, are you gonna send Conor McGregor out there and 100M in your pockets? Or send literally anyone else in the UFC out there and get sub 10M? He's that big of a draw.

Anyways, there is two other fights in 2018/Early 2019 that can be just as big as Conor/Khabib.

Tyron Woodley vs GSP.

I've wanted to see this fight forever. Tyron is already easily the second best WW of all time. Screw Matt Hughes. Competition was garbage back then and his skillset is nothing compared to Woodley. Woodley is an elite fighter. These are the two best WW's of all time going at it, and possibly two of the Top 10 fighters ever to go at it. This is a huge super fight I'd love to see. The style intrigues me quite a bit. Both men are good at neutralizing their opponent in the stand up game. Tyron is a fantastic defensive wrestler. GSP is a fantastic offensive wrestler, the best of all time. Both men are similar size. Great matchup. I didn't care about GSP vs Bisping. Don't care about GSP vs Khabib/Conor. GSP wins that with size against Khabib, and horrible matchup for Conor + size advantage. I've wanted GSP vs Woodley for a while. Only GSP fight I care about.

1) These may be the two best fighters of all time. That is a fair argument, honestly. So even though Cormier is 0-2, I don't mind seeing it again as long as it's at Heavyweight this time.

2) Cormier has a serious chance at Heavyweight, guy hits like a brick at Heavyweight. I expect it to be almost a 50/50 Fight if contested at the Heavyweight division. Maybe Jones -110 and Cormier +100. Super close.

You talk up woodley but dont have him in your top 5? 

I don’t disagree with you just odd that you left him out. Woodley and hughes are on the same footing in my book. But woodley is one of the reasons i dislike how the treat connor. Woodleys card was absolutely garbage. He gets a fight night line up and then gets bashed for not getting the buys. Then connor gets a top tier card and is going to sell out and its going to be treated like it was only connor who sold. 

But besides people buying for connor i doubt hes brought a lot of fans. I especially doubt he has brought more young fans in than he pushed away. If i didnt know any better and saw the ufcs two biggest stars sand blasting hookers and assualting a bus of innocent people i wouldnt let my kids watch the sport. Its still considered a barbaric sport and letting barbarians do as they please, they hurt the sport more than help. 

9 hours ago, eagles101 said:

Where is my irrational thought?

connor shouldnt be fighting because he assaulted staff and fighters.

Hes antics are old and drawn out.

and he’s overrated, which even by your rating, has him lower then what is on the ranking for ufc. (Which is 2) 

im not saying he isnt a great fighter. He just hasnt proved himself like the laundry list of fighters in history that are above him. When he beat eddie he was a fighter i looked as possible the goat. But right now as it stands he has a lot to prove if you put him in a top 25 all time fighters but people regularly bring him up as a top 5 all time

Khabib is also highly unproven. If he beats connor hes also on that greatness path that connor was on. So this fight, marketed as the greatest fight of all time, has me at not even the most interesting fight this year. 

I'm so confused by the bolded. He beat Eddie and you thought he was possibly the GOAT. If he is possibly the GOAT then how the heck do you have a problem with him in the Top-25 all-time? 

I agree with everything after that fwiw

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Tyron Woodley vs GSP.

Are we REALLY that excited about GSP v Woodley? GSP v Bisping wasn't exactly this amazing display by GSP. The man is 37 and isn't in the fight game anymore. I think Woodley beats him fairly easily. Woodley does have an incredible skillset but he doesn't use it all that well or at least well enough to put himself in a great position to finish fights consistently. He destroyed Lawler and Till. If THAT Woodley shows up consistently then he can be the GOAT WW fighter but the Thompson/Maia fights were pretty painful and so boring

Bet the house if Bones is -110

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

There are a lot of fanboys out there that excuse bad behavior (Conor/Bones) because they want to see their dudes in the ring.  Funny how that happens, especially when they are critical of other situations when they are not fans.  I can't stand either one of these cats, and don't care one way or the other if they fight or not.  The sport isn't somehow "better" just because they are fighting.  There will ALWAYS be good fights to see.  Conor's schtick has ppl rooting, or hating on him, and either way he wins.  I think he says some pretty hilarious ish, but he seems like a tool.

I absolutely hope Khabib ragdolls him, and think that is a distinct possibility.  I also know that Conor is a legit striker, with great timing, and can end a fight with one punch.  My guess is either could happen, but I would think that Khabib has just enough chin to get the fight where he wants.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I'm so confused by the bolded. He beat Eddie and you thought he was possibly the GOAT. If he is possibly the GOAT then how the heck do you have a problem with him in the Top-25 all-time? 

I agree with everything after that fwiw

I didnt thi k he was possibly the goat but he put himself on that track. If he beat down murders row in the lw he definitely would start being the goat discussion level. Loke if anderson silva quit after rich franklin, he wouldnt be in the goat discussion. If connor quit right now he wouldnt be a top tier fighter, he would be a what could have been fighter. 

This fight isnt all that exciting to me because i see it as two fighters that have a lot to prove after this fight. There is a list of fighters after this fight that have a solid chance of beating them. The greatest fighters have beat all or most challengers and both khabib and connor havent beat any challengers. 

3 hours ago, eagles101 said:

You talk up woodley but dont have him in your top 5? 

I don’t disagree with you just odd that you left him out. Woodley and hughes are on the same footing in my book. But woodley is one of the reasons i dislike how the treat connor. Woodleys card was absolutely garbage. He gets a fight night line up and then gets bashed for not getting the buys. Then connor gets a top tier card and is going to sell out and its going to be treated like it was only connor who sold. 

But besides people buying for connor i doubt hes brought a lot of fans. I especially doubt he has brought more young fans in than he pushed away. If i didnt know any better and saw the ufcs two biggest stars sand blasting hookers and assualting a bus of innocent people i wouldnt let my kids watch the sport. Its still considered a barbaric sport and letting barbarians do as they please, they hurt the sport more than help. 

Still so much wrong in this post. Why would Woodleys card being not great bother you? I like Woodley and think he;s fantastic but he is not a draw. Not a draw what so ever. In a business, you invest in what can make you money. With Woodleys dominant performance over Till (and for once, exciting) they may start looking his way now. You keep having this preachy, someone deserves this, someone deserves that, someone doesn't deserve this, blah blah blah. It's a business. You run it in the direction that makes you the most money... like any business. Not sure how many times I must say this..

Anyone who considers MMA a barbaric sport probably has a closed off barbaric mind. Nothing barbaric about MMA. It's a sport where everyone of all martial arts can test their skills against one another and see who is the most complete and dominant fighter.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Still so much wrong in this post. Why would Woodleys card being not great bother you? I like Woodley and think he;s fantastic but he is not a draw. Not a draw what so ever. In a business, you invest in what can make you money. With Woodleys dominant performance over Till (and for once, exciting) they may start looking his way now. You keep having this preachy, someone deserves this, someone deserves that, someone doesn't deserve this, blah blah blah. It's a business. You run it in the direction that makes you the most money... like any business. Not sure how many times I must say this..

Anyone who considers MMA a barbaric sport probably has a closed off barbaric mind. Nothing barbaric about MMA. It's a sport where everyone of all martial arts can test their skills against one another and see who is the most complete and dominant fighter.

Thats short term business. They are building connors business, not theres. Hes a big draw but to sell out everything for a single draw is insane. How can tyron woodely be the second best ww ever and not be a draw. 

Its easy to see it as barbaric when you say “hey tyron is one of the best ww ever but dont watch him watch this guy who assualted a bunch of innocent people on a bus and talks a bunch of school yard crap” 

if this trend continues of POS people getting fully backed by the ufc and other fighters getting shoved aside, i wouldnt be surprised if something like bellator to continue to get more and more top end fighters and take over.