MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

10 minutes ago, YoungJefe said:

Khabib is more tested against strikers? Khabib's 10 UFC opponents have had a combined 24 KO in 143 contests. (16.7% KO rate) He has literally fought no one that has shown they have one punch KO power or even a guy that's a dangerous finisher tbh. Mendes grappling is much different than Khabib's he's smaller, more athletic, and definitely more explosive. Conor bullied Eddie Alavarez who has a similar build to Khabib and comes from a wrestling background. 

Khabib's resume

Iaquinta: 4 KO in 11 UFC fights

Barboza: 4 KO in 19 UFC fights

Johnson: 4 KO in 19 UFC fights

RDA: 4 KO in 25 UFC fights

Trujillo: 3 KO in 11 UFC fights

Horcher: 0 KO in 3 UFC fights

Healey: 0 KO in 5 UFC fights 

Tavares: 1 KO in 18 UFC fights

Tibau: 1 KO in 29 UFC fights

Shalorus: 0 KO in 3 UFC fights

Where do you see experience against great strikers? 

Where did i say he has a wealth of experience. I just said the khabib has fought better strikers than connor has wrestlers. Connor beat up eddie who did not try to wrestle with him. 

34 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Where did i say he has a wealth of experience. I just said the khabib has fought better strikers than connor has wrestlers. Connor beat up eddie who did not try to wrestle with him. 

Eddie attempted 3 takedowns and got stuffed each time, he also tried to put Conor against the cage and was unsuccessful. You realize that Conor has only been taken down in the Mendes fight right? And the second Diaz fight at the end. This narrative that Conor has no TDD is just untrue because he has only been taken down in one fight in his UFC career. Khabib's rise in the UFC has been against some of the worst strikers in the sport and he hasn't fought anyone with the boxing to expose him. The best boxers he has fought are who? Al Iaquinta and Michael Johnson? Two journeymen that are fringe UFC fighters. 

Some of those other impressive wins: 

Darrell Horcher: 1-2 in the UFC

Kamal Shalorus: 0-3 in the UFC 

Pat Healey: 0-5 in the UFC

Michael Johnson: 10-9 in the UFC

Thiago Tavares: 10-7-1 in the UFC 

Abel Trujillo: 6-4-1 in the UFC 

32 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Till moving up to 185

How do you figure he will do up there? I dont even know who you would put up against him in the first fight. I dont think he should be thrown in against the top teir guys right away. Let him get some easy wins after getting rolled by woodley.

GSP was successful because his striking was above average (not great by any means but a little better than ok) and he had an exploding shoot to take down strikers. 

Khabib doesn’t have a shoot, he needs to grab Conor and Conor is a master of range. Probably the best at knowing and using his range out of anyone in the UFC, more so than Jon Jones. Khabibs best shot is catching a leg kick. It will be very interesting if Conor will throw any kicks. Dan Hardy apparently thinks Conor is gonna use his kicks a lot but I really don’t think it’s a wise idea. Conor can beat him with pure boxing on the feet. We’ll see what happens..

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

GSP was successful because his striking was above average (not great by any means but a little better than ok) and he had an exploding shoot to take down strikers. 

Khabib doesn’t have a shoot, he needs to grab Conor and Conor is a master of range. Probably the best at knowing and using his range out of anyone in the UFC, more so than Jon Jones. Khabibs best shot is catching a leg kick. It will be very interesting if Conor will throw any kicks. Dan Hardy apparently thinks Conor is gonna use his kicks a lot but I really don’t think it’s a wise idea. Conor can beat him with pure boxing on the feet. We’ll see what happens..

He really use his kicks to keep that range though. Khabib is no gsp but he does seem to get better with every fight. If connor doesnt kick then it will be interesting how khabib closes the distance since sloppy lunging punches will get him knocked out.

45 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

How do you figure he will do up there? I dont even know who you would put up against him in the first fight. I dont think he should be thrown in against the top teir guys right away. Let him get some easy wins after getting rolled by woodley.

I mean the champ is a former 170er that is similar. A Whittaker/Till fight would probably be awesome.

Edited by 11sanchez11

I think you give Till a top 15 MW right away. Maybe start towards the bottom of the top 15 and give him Jotko? Or Hall? 

If they are in a hurry to build him up as a MW, then throw him in with Derek Brunson or David Branch. I don't think they'd have him fight Adesanya or Costa though. Don't wanna kill their hype or his with a loss.

11 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I mean the champ is a former 170er that is similar. A Whittaker/Till fight would probably be awesome.

Would be a good fight but i doubt hes ready for that.

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think you give Till a top 15 MW right away. Maybe start towards the bottom of the top 15 and give him Jotko? Or Hall? 

If they are in a hurry to build him up as a MW, then throw him in with Derek Brunson or David Branch. I don't think they'd have him fight Adesanya or Costa though. Don't wanna kill their hype or his with a loss.

I agree with starting with jotko or hall. Fighting adesanya or costa would be interesting but i think they all are the same “how legit are they really” situation. Would like costa vs adesanya though. 

5 hours ago, YoungJefe said:

A lot of people forget that Khabib in reality should be 25-1. He lost to Gleison Tibau a few years back but the judges gave it to him for some odd reason. Tibau out struck Khabib, took Khabib down, and stuffed all 13 of Khabib's takedown attempts. 

I remember watching that fight. It was close but at the very least it showed Khabib's wrestling isn't unbeatable. In his defense though, it was 6 years ago

4 hours ago, YoungJefe said:

Eddie attempted 3 takedowns and got stuffed each time, he also tried to put Conor against the cage and was unsuccessful. You realize that Conor has only been taken down in the Mendes fight right? And the second Diaz fight at the end. This narrative that Conor has no TDD is just untrue because he has only been taken down in one fight in his UFC career. Khabib's rise in the UFC has been against some of the worst strikers in the sport and he hasn't fought anyone with the boxing to expose him. The best boxers he has fought are who? Al Iaquinta and Michael Johnson? Two journeymen that are fringe UFC fighters. 

Some of those other impressive wins: 

Darrell Horcher: 1-2 in the UFC

Kamal Shalorus: 0-3 in the UFC 

Pat Healey: 0-5 in the UFC

Michael Johnson: 10-9 in the UFC

Thiago Tavares: 10-7-1 in the UFC 

Abel Trujillo: 6-4-1 in the UFC 

Are you calling Al a journeyman? That's just not true. He is alot better than alot of LWs on the roster

2 hours ago, eagles101 said:

He really use his kicks to keep that range though. Khabib is no gsp but he does seem to get better with every fight. If connor doesnt kick then it will be interesting how khabib closes the distance since sloppy lunging punches will get him knocked out.

Yea that was the big thing in the Edson fight. He used his leg kicks alot and that is how he fights anyways and it played right into Khabib's hands

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I agree with this line of thinking 100%. Dont throw 2 of your biggest hype trains up against each other or the WW contender who was on a roll too. Try and keep them separate until they absolutely dont have to be. I think Till murks Hall. I was a big fan of his but his chin is gone. He is still dangerous but he gets wobble too easily