Life since 0-16

Louis Friend

10 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

At some point though, you have to pay market rate, for some of your players. I also expect Tate won’t be kept. With his departure the team would have another need. The money saved likely wouldn’t improve the starting lineup but improve depth because Quinn just doesn’t seem like a big free agency spender.

In my view Ebron is a good example. To much money, he gets cut, Quinn makes minor improvements and the team has a gaping hole at TE. Now, they likely use draft capital on a TE who will need three years to develop. I understand why Quinn did it  It just seems more logical to keep Ebron and draft a LB. currently I expect they might just draft a LB and a TE so what’s really been gained?

what do you think?

Quinn has spent big money in FA with Wagner, Lang, and Marvin Jones. I think Tate is likely to walk because the WR market has sky rocketed beyond it's actual value, and Quinn seems like he's embracing at least one aspect of the Patriot way in letting players go early rather than late (ex: Ngata). As @Lions017 pointed out, Tate isn't a young football player anymore, while I think his skills translate to a longer career than some, I still expect a decline in his  play sooner or later due to age. 

It wouldn't shock me if Quinn waited until UDFA to address TE. I think Quinn and Patricia are ok with going into the season with Wilson and Roberts as primary TEs, expecting substantial improvements from the later in his second year.

22 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Quinn has spent big money in FA with Wagner, Lang, and Marvin Jones. I think Tate is likely to walk because the WR market has sky rocketed beyond it's actual value, and Quinn seems like he's embracing at least one aspect of the Patriot way in letting players go early rather than late (ex: Ngata). As @Lions017 pointed out, Tate isn't a young football player anymore, while I think his skills translate to a longer career than some, I still expect a decline in his  play sooner or later due to age. 

It wouldn't shock me if Quinn waited until UDFA to address TE. I think Quinn and Patricia are ok with going into the season with Wilson and Roberts as primary TEs, expecting substantial improvements from the later in his second year.

I hope you’re right about a TE in UDFA. I think Roberts has a great deal of talent but needs playing time.

I guess you’re right about the money too. Sometimes I get sentimental about the name on the back of the jersey and forget about the Lion on the helmet. 

Your post is a pretty darn good assessment 

• 2 weeks later...

Key developments:

Stafford: Under JBC, Stafford has limited his turnovers and bad decision making while also becoming a more well-rounded passer. Unfortunately, one key area that JBC has not helped him with is becoming a more consistent player from start to finish. Stafford still suffers from starting slow in the majority of his games which often times puts more pressure on not just him but the team. If he can somehow finally kick this habit, I think he could solidify himself as a top 5 QB in the game.

Bob Quinn: So far, I think that he is doing a much better job than Mayhew. There is a very methodical approach that I'm seeing with Quinn that focuses on logical decision making as opposed to picking the splash player. While I'm still not 100% sold on the Patriot approach because it misses the key element that makes that whole system work, BB, its at least a safe bet that we will field an at worst, mediocre team for the foreseeable future. 

One thing that remains to be seen though, and this is the thing that has dogged this franchise since the Fords took over, is that players tend to not develop a sense of urgency when it comes to not only their development but the team's success. Its rare for any player we draft to last past their rookie contract, either because they aren't good enough to resign or they don't want to. We have an abysmal record, especially since the Millen era, of spending the higher round picks and getting very little to show for the long term. 

I hope that with Patricia and Quinn's past relationship, we can finally see a more solid development of the team's talent. 

On 4/26/2018 at 1:50 AM, Iamcanadian said:

For me, the simple fact is, Stafford is a solid QB but not a top 10 QB and that has left us making time as a middle of the road team, playoff calibre but nothing special and I expect more of the same next season!

Our rise up the ladder had more to do with William Ford's death, he could no longer destroy this franchise with horrible GM's and a scouting department loaded with his cronies.

We are at least a professionally run franchise, only limited by the quality of our QB.

Make sure you start sharing the good stuff and pass that ish around......

4 hours ago, khaosoy said:

Key developments:

Stafford: Under JBC, Stafford has limited his turnovers and bad decision making while also becoming a more well-rounded passer. Unfortunately, one key area that JBC has not helped him with is becoming a more consistent player from start to finish. Stafford still suffers from starting slow in the majority of his games which often times puts more pressure on not just him but the team. If he can somehow finally kick this habit, I think he could solidify himself as a top 5 QB in the game.

Bob Quinn: So far, I think that he is doing a much better job than Mayhew. There is a very methodical approach that I'm seeing with Quinn that focuses on logical decision making as opposed to picking the splash player. While I'm still not 100% sold on the Patriot approach because it misses the key element that makes that whole system work, BB, its at least a safe bet that we will field an at worst, mediocre team for the foreseeable future. 

One thing that remains to be seen though, and this is the thing that has dogged this franchise since the Fords took over, is that players tend to not develop a sense of urgency when it comes to not only their development but the team's success. Its rare for any player we draft to last past their rookie contract, either because they aren't good enough to resign or they don't want to. We have an abysmal record, especially since the Millen era, of spending the higher round picks and getting very little to show for the long term. 

I hope that with Patricia and Quinn's past relationship, we can finally see a more solid development of the team's talent. 

I think a good deal of that is because we have had virtually no run game for quite a while. It’s hard to come out and consistently be a top 5 QB let alone do that when absolutely no one respects the run game.

12 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

I think a good deal of that is because we have had virtually no run game for quite a while. It’s hard to come out and consistently be a top 5 QB let alone do that when absolutely no one respects the run game.

And one of the main reasons why they haven’t had a run game is because they’ve done a poor job of drafting and or developing OL.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, nagahide13 said:

I'm not sure I'd consider it growth. What it seems like to me is that the Fords finally committed to trying to win. Nobody has any idea what it takes to build a winner... (IE there isn't really a blue print), so we've just been throwing **** at the wall and hoping it will stick. Some of that **** seemed sticky but didn't hold. I hope this **** sticks.

read this as if it came from your avi.

welldone

Archived