Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I've been waiting for this night since January and I feel like I got kicked in the balls. 

It's a surprise yes, but it might not be that bad.  He is a big, fast, physical presence that can be moved around in different sub-packages.  

1 minute ago, JLambert58 said:

It's a surprise yes, but it might not be that bad.  He is a big, fast, physical presence that can be moved around in different sub-packages.  

I know you're usually the optimist and that's fine but this is way to early for him in MOST people's opinions. And yes I get it. It only matters how the Steelers value him. But if you're the only one that values him that high maybe, just maybe, you need to think about it a little more. All in all, he'll be Ok in Zone coverage. I just think there were better options. 

Just now, JPeezy55 said:

So what's a big board look like now? Positions of need now?

WR/EDGE

Is LB still a need??

Most definitely. It was great to see Shaz walking but man that didn't look good. He is a long ways away from playing again (if ever). When he was walking up I was thinking about if Evans was there how awkward would that have been for him to announce that pick. Yikes. WR will be the 2nd Rd pick I believe. If not surely in the 3rd. 

4 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Most definitely. It was great to see Shaz walking but man that didn't look good. He is a long ways away from playing again (if ever). When he was walking up I was thinking about if Evans was there how awkward would that have been for him to announce that pick. Yikes. WR will be the 2nd Rd pick I believe. If not surely in the 3rd. 

Is it a Day 2 need? Maybe, I'm not sure

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I know you're usually the optimist and that's fine but this is way to early for him in MOST people's opinions. And yes I get it. It only matters how the Steelers value him. But if you're the only one that values him that high maybe, just maybe, you need to think about it a little more. All in all, he'll be Ok in Zone coverage. I just think there were better options. 

I hear you.  I understand and maybe even agree there were better options there.  But he makes sense for us - would have made MORE sense in the second - but maybe he doesn't last that long.  

I'm not always the optimist but I can see why he would be a great add to our defense.  

I'm sorry to say it, but I am right there with Chieferific.  That was a disgusting pick.  I guess we just have to hope he can be coached up since he's only 20, and has the size/athleticism.  But the writeups on him are not good at all.  The only saving grace would be if he can be good in coverage on safeties and be used as a dime linebacker to help replace the speed we lost when Shazier went down.  There were so many better players available.  Justin Reid, Jessie Bates at safety alone.  Josh Jackson, Isaiah Oliver at CB.  Sam Hubbard, Lorenzo Carter, maybe Harold Landry.  James Daniels, maybe Will Hernandez.  Derrius Guice, Kerryon Johnson, but I wasn't in favor of taking a RB in 1.  Then of course Mike Gesicki & Dallas Goedert at TE.  Then you go on to WR:  DJ Chark, Equanimeous St. Brown, maybe Deon Cain & Christian Kirk.  

Hopefully I'm wrong and the guy is a stud.  He sure doesn't seem like my kind of S.  Sounds like another Mike Mitchell.  Barf.  I KNEW when they cut 3 safeties and only signed one oft-injured guy that they'd just reach for the best safety left.  They should've traded Bryant for that 3 and traded up to get Derwin James instead of settling.

This writeup on Walterfootball sounds solid:

In pass coverage, Edmunds is a talented player. Edmunds shows an impressive ability to run with receivers downfield and maintain close coverage. Few defenders with a strong safety build can run with receivers like Edmunds can. He lines up against slot receivers and runs the route while also running with them downfield. In zone coverage, Edmunds covers a lot of ground and picks up targets coming into his area. He breaks on the ball quickly and tracks it well downfield. Edmunds has ball skills to break passes up and intercept the ball. Occasionally, Edmunds can take some missed steps in coverage and is stiff. Thus, he's better off as a strong safety but that can contribute in coverage.

1 minute ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

This writeup on Walterfootball sounds solid:

In pass coverage, Edmunds is a talented player. Edmunds shows an impressive ability to run with receivers downfield and maintain close coverage. Few defenders with a strong safety build can run with receivers like Edmunds can. He lines up against slot receivers and runs the route while also running with them downfield. In zone coverage, Edmunds covers a lot of ground and picks up targets coming into his area. He breaks on the ball quickly and tracks it well downfield. Edmunds has ball skills to break passes up and intercept the ball. Occasionally, Edmunds can take some missed steps in coverage and is stiff. Thus, he's better off as a strong safety but that can contribute in coverage.

Walters is one of the biggest hacks and worst evaluators out there.

1 minute ago, Blitzburgh said:

He is just like every other safety this team invests in.  Misses tackles, bites on double moves, is over aggressive, and can’t cover. BUT....he’s big and fast.....

Which is why his value is better at Dime LB IMO

Funny, I just checked Mayocks Top 100 . He has Edmunds ranked 73rd , I have him 71st.  :/   I only got to do two of his games this year. 

My brief notes are Very Active. Good size. Very good tackler.  

Id have to go into my back page to see more detailed stuff. 

Archived