Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Which to me is stupid beyond stupid.  Overdraft a guy for the option.  That's like saying I'll pay $35,000 for the car at dealership A when I can get up the road for $30,000 at dealership B because dealership ! doesn't charge for inspections.

Considering that 99% of the players drafted are not ready for the NFL.  Consider that zero DBs drafted have the skills they need for the NFL, I think it is smart considering teams will have to redshirt a lot of the players.  The 5th year option is guaranteeing control for 1 more year.

Why do you think the Ravens spent so much to trade into the 1st round?  5th year option on a QB they they know will need a year minimum to correct his mechanics.  I predict Jackson needs 2 years before he becomes viable and that is if he buys into it and throws every day.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I just dont get this pick. Edmunds either wont start or starts over Davis. Either way, Harold Landry, Justin Reid, Lamar Jackson, Ronnie Harrison, Guice wouldve been better.

And this is why I don't like it that much.  Either you are saying Edmunds isn't ready and this was a reach, or your 2nd round pick 2 years ago was a piss poor pick.

Just now, jebrick said:

Considering that 99% of the players drafted are not ready for the NFL.  Consider that zero DBs drafted have the skills they need for the NFL, I think it is smart considering teams will have to redshirt a lot of the players.  The 5th year option is guaranteeing control for 1 more year.

Why do you think the Ravens spent so much to trade into the 1st round?  5th year option on a QB they they know will need a year minimum to correct his mechanics.  I predict Jackson needs 2 years before he becomes viable and that is if he buys into it and throws every day.

To me QB is far different from safety though.  The 5th year option on QB's (especially at pick 32) is a great deal for the team.  This is different.  With safety, the tag and the 5th year option are very close in price and cap impact, even this low in the 1st.  We would be better off taking a guy like Edmunds in the 2nd because of that.

You just can't compare QB value 5th year option to a S 5th year option.

Meh, I kind of like it. He can play as our 3rd safety and special teams this year. I think playing 3 safeties is the way of the future for our defense. I'm optimistic he can be our new Shazier/Deion Jones type of guy. Cover TE's and come up and bang at the LOS. 

Also, these guys who everyone is saying we should have taken(Guice and Jackson) would have been resoundly hated if we took them too. I hated the idea of drafting a rd1 offensive player. People that think Edmunds won't help this year are delusional. Even if it takes him awhile to pick up the defense, he can still be a neutralizer. "See that big Gronk, cover him."

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Why?  both are the average of the top 25 contracts at their positions.  Both are a pile of money.  Control is more important.

Agree to disagree.  By the time these guys hit their 5th year option the Ravens are going to save more on Jackson than we will Edmunds.  The value of the 5th year option for Edmunds was not worth the reach to me.  This is personally why I hate the 5th year option on the rookie contracts.  It causes reaches at the bottom of the 1st.  This might end up being 3 times in the last 4 years we reached a bit at this point to get the 5th year option (Dupree, Burns, Edmunds) and the last two times it looks like it was a mistake.  Hopefully this bucks the trend, but like other draft things, this is a concept that Colbert seems to struggle with.

17 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Meh, I kind of like it. He can play as our 3rd safety and special teams this year. I think playing 3 safeties is the way of the future for our defense. I'm optimistic he can be our new Shazier/Deion Jones type of guy. Cover TE's and come up and bang at the LOS. 

Also, these guys who everyone is saying we should have taken(Guice and Jackson) would have been resoundly hated if we took them too. I hated the idea of drafting a rd1 offensive player. People that think Edmunds won't help this year are delusional. Even if it takes him awhile to pick up the defense, he can still be a neutralizer. "See that big Gronk, cover him."

This is the way I feel this morning.  I have to admit, I have spent the morning going back and rewatching some stuff and getting into more scouting reports and stuff.  The more I read, the more I like.  NOT as a FS, but as a moneybacker, SS, enforcer, TE eraser.

I would be 100% sold if we didn't take him at #28.  I would have felt better about #60, but I am willing to keep an open mind.  It is not the WORST that we could have done.  That would have been the Rudolph/Jackson pick.

21 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Tomlin and Co specifically mentioned subpackages a lot during draft process..shoulda been a tip.

9 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

It's interesting how Edmunds was there at the draft.  Normally 2nd & 3rd round picks don't get invited to Thursday night.   Somebody knew something about how teams value him.

I read on my Twitter days ago that he was considered a first round pick.  I wish I could find it but it said don’t be shocked.

Archived