2018 Draft Day(s) Thread

NewAge

We still need offensive help, the TE from Penn St. Mike Gesicki, sure would help the passing game. I know we need a passing rushing right defensive end, but I can't see that happing with a third round pick. It is going to be painful watching all those players coming off the board in the second round. With Darnold just out of this teens, he is only twenty years old, and with Mc Cown, help he has a bright future. I trust Mc Cown, to help the kid more than the Jets coaching staff. We still have young players on our roster who could step up and help the offensive, but it is a wait and see. Mac made the right move moving up in the draft, we finally got our future franchise QB.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

We still need offensive help, the TE from Penn St. Mike Gesicki, sure would help the passing game. I know we need a passing rushing right defensive end, but I can't see that happing with a third round pick. It is going to be painful watching all those players coming off the board in the second round. With Darnold just out of this teens, he is only twenty years old, and with Mc Cown, help he has a bright future. I trust Mc Cown, to help the kid more than the Jets coaching staff. We still have young players on our roster who could step up and help the offensive, but it is a wait and see. Mac made the right move moving up in the draft, we finally got our future franchise QB.

Rather nab Mark Andrews if we went TE, Gesicki is crazy athletic but is soft in the run game and the athleticism really didn’t show on tape.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Rather nab Mark Andrews if we went TE, Gesicki is crazy athletic but is soft in the run game and the athleticism really didn’t show on tape.

Yeah as good as Gesicki, is as a pass catcher his blocking is weak.

I don't think this has been mentioned but great job by Macc not tipping his hand. Literally nobody knew our draft board. Even right before the pick people thought Rosen. Some were even saying Allen.

We got the top or second guy on our draft board. 

Now that I've had it all sink in I'm pretty excited. These three guys were ranked pretty close by traditional scouting services and more analytical services.

Positives:

QB: Throws with anticipation, processes the game well, can make every NFL throw, moves well, is accurate, and sounds like he wants to work hard.

System/Culture: He is a solid fit for our offensive system and fits the team culture.

Negatives: Inexperienced, doesn't protect the football, can make bad decisions at times.

Experience will come with time and he can be drilled to hold the ball with two hands to cut back on the fumbles. We can only hope the bad decisions were due to him trying too hard.

One of the benefits of having McCown is that players can meet in the offseason whenever they want. Whereas coaches have a lot of limitations. I'm hoping to hear that McCown, Teddy and Darnold are meeting outside of organized practices for parts of the offseason. Literally Darnold should move right next to wherever McCown lives. 

17 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don't think this has been mentioned but great job by Macc not tipping his hand. Literally nobody knew our draft board. Even right before the pick people thought Rosen. Some were even saying Allen.

We got the top or second guy on our draft board. 

Now that I've had it all sink in I'm pretty excited. These three guys were ranked pretty close by traditional scouting services and more analytical services.

Positives:

QB: Throws with anticipation, processes the game well, can make every NFL throw, moves well, is accurate, and sounds like he wants to work hard.

System/Culture: He is a solid fit for our offensive system and fits the team culture.

Negatives: Inexperienced, doesn't protect the football, can make bad decisions at times.

Experience will come with time and he can be drilled to hold the ball with two hands to cut back on the fumbles. We can only hope the bad decisions were due to him trying too hard.

One of the benefits of having McCown is that players can meet in the offseason whenever they want. Whereas coaches have a lot of limitations. I'm hoping to hear that McCown, Teddy and Darnold are meeting outside of organized practices for parts of the offseason. Literally Darnold should move right next to wherever McCown lives. 

Yea McCown is great for the locker room and even better for Darnold. 

Also,  I am all the way on board for the nickname to be Hey Darnold. 

10 minutes ago, MoLewis57 said:

I want to trade up yo get him but I would bet he is a Pat by the end of the day

You are probably right, I also hate it when a get those gut feeling, that something is not going to go the way I want. Like I said early this morning it is going to be painful to watch all those players come off the board in the second round. 

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

There's a lot of good talent left on the board who have dropped.  Beyond Landry, Josh Jackson, Will Hernandez, etc.  People will fall.

Not opposed at all for us to even think about moving up for an edge or RB. Although I don’t see Macc giving up more picks.

Archived