2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

Just now, turtle28 said:

I get it, I don’t think they’re winning the super bowl either but tanking on purpose is also something that I could never endorse because there’s less of a guarantee that that pays off than staying the course with what we have now.

Tanking at the start of the season? A pointless exercise.

Tanking once you are out of contention? A bit more sensible. I understand why they don't (coaches get fired due to their final record), but if you are willing to plan for the future and protect the players and coaching staff, it might be the right call.

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I like Deon Cain a lot.  I actually think he has more upside to be able to separate closer to the LOS than Martavis. Not sure he has that natural knack for pulling away and tracking the deep ball without breaking stride like you see in the true home run threats like Martavis (and of course what we saw for years out of Desean). 

What I always like to see in WRs, especially now in this offense, is guys who returned kicks in college. To me, that’s a great sign that they’re sudden, a little explosive, some COD skills, not afraid of contact. In an offense where we want guys who can uncover quickly and hurt you after the catch, and in an NFL where they can’t manhandle guys to slow them down, I think that’s a great athletic profile. 

That’s why I’ve had my eye on guys like Antonio Callaway and especially Keke Coutee from Texas Tech. Would love to see another WR like that. 

I men’s who doesn’t want Keke Coutee! I’d love to hear that name being called for the next 4 plus years! ? 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, I can’t watch the 4 letter network anymore. I’ve been watching NFL network. I’m getting my full dose of Eisen & Mayock!

NFL Network actually cover the actual picks as they are coming and what the teams want.

Jalyn Holmes ... good pick. Glad he went since that's not really a position we could effectively put on the roster.

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Where do you think he would play for us?  Obviously he could contribute on special teams, but MLB or OLB?

Personally, I would look at a MLB.

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I like Deon Cain a lot.  I actually think he has more upside to be able to separate closer to the LOS than Martavis. Not sure he has that natural knack for pulling away and tracking the deep ball without breaking stride like you see in the true home run threats like Martavis (and of course what we saw for years out of Desean). 

What I always like to see in WRs, especially now in this offense, is guys who returned kicks in college. To me, that’s a great sign that they’re sudden, a little explosive, some COD skills, not afraid of contact. In an offense where we want guys who can uncover quickly and hurt you after the catch, and in an NFL where they can’t manhandle guys to slow them down, I think that’s a great athletic profile. 

That’s why I’ve had my eye on guys like Antonio Callaway and especially Keke Coutee from Texas Tech. Would love to see another WR like that. 

There goes Keke

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Tanking at the start of the season? A pointless exercise.

Tanking once you are out of contention? A bit more sensible. I understand why they don't (coaches get fired due to their final record), but if you are willing to plan for the future and protect the players and coaching staff, it might be the right call.

We’re on the same page woz, entirely. I just couldn’t agree w/ what Mknight and PH were saying about they’d be willing to tank for 5 years. That would be brutal.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

We’re on the same page woz, entirely. I just couldn’t agree w/ what Mknight and PH were saying about they’d be willing to tank for 5 years. That would be brutal.

I would do anything to get rid of Bruce Allen.  

Just now, turtle28 said:

1. It's called "hyperbole."
  2. It's also from a position where I suspect both of them expect it would take that level of suffering on the field to boot Allen out. I don't think it needs to be that bad (the rumors that Allen is losing some pull give me hope),

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

NFL Network actually cover the actual picks as they are coming and what the teams want.

Jalyn Holmes ... good pick. Glad he went since that's not really a position we could effectively put on the roster.

THE OHIO STATE!

Why couldn’t we put Holmes on our roster?

He can play 5-tech with his size and length and in our base defense we have one DL who is a 5-tech. So, he’d be backing up Allen/Lanier and possibly McGee if he's still here.

It’s the same position Da’Shawn hand will play if we draft him.

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Where do you think he would play for us?  Obviously he could contribute on special teams, but MLB or OLB?

I think I see him as a sub-package OLB in year one. Mostly just rushing the passer, but obviously also with more ability to drop and cover than our more classic OLB guys. 

In the longer term, I think you take a good long look at him as an ILB. The size might be an issue playing inside, especially because the lack of a hand will probably limit him in shedding blocks, but I’d really give him a shot to develop there.

Just now, turtle28 said:

THE OHIO STATE!

Why couldn’t we put Holmes on our roster?

He can play 5-tech with his size and length and in our base defense we have one DL who is a 5-tech. So, he’d be backing up Allen/Lanier and possibly McGee ifbhes still here.

It’s the same position Da’Shawn hand will play if we draft him.

Between Ioannidis, Allen, and Payne, it doesn't make much sense to me to go back to the DL again if the Redskins are going to stay in a "3-4." There's just not enough roster spots and spending a 4th on a guy who would look to be rotational at best is not the best use of the draft.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:
  1. It's called "hyperbole."
  2. It's also from a position where I suspect both of them expect it would take that level of suffering on the field to boot Allen out. I don't think it needs to be that bad (the rumors that Allen is losing some pull give me hope),

Again, we’re on the same page. I 100% agree

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

There he goes @e16bball

Dang, just saw that. Bummer, he would have been a great fit. 

But truthfully I think they probably won’t be looking WR quite yet anyway. I’d bet on a pick to grab some secondary help if I was a gambling man. Which I am.

Archived