Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BaldyBronco

.....with the 40th pick in then NFL Draft....the Denver Broncos select? Let’s set the board

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I am all in on Connor Williams. Top OT in the draft IMO. Taking him at 40 would set us up very, very well for the future. 

I dont like the idea of RB. Wait until R3 or even R4. 

CB value is pretty insane too. 

Williams or CB Jackson/Oliver (assuming Hernandez isn’t there) would be best overall BPA for sure.  Goedert isn’t far behind though.  

And they all see fair gaps from the next tier.   Sign me up for any of them.   So much on board with waiting for RB/WR.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I am all in on Connor Williams. Top OT in the draft IMO. Taking him at 40 would set us up very, very well for the future. 

I dont like the idea of RB. Wait until R3 or even R4. 

CB value is pretty insane too. 

I am with you there.  I think he’s the pick that would make the most sense.  Probably starts at OG at the beginning of the year and when the inevitable happens and Veldheer gets hurt he slides over to RT.

Though, to be completely honest with you, I think the better scenario would be Williams at LT, Bolles at RG, and when Veldheer gets hurt sliding Bolles over to RT.  Don’t think that’s how Denver would do it though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I am with you there.  I think he’s the pick that would make the most sense.  Probably starts at OG at the beginning of the year and when the inevitable happens and Veldheer gets hurt he slides over to RT.

Though, to be completely honest with you, I think the better scenario would be Williams at LT, Bolles at RG, and when Veldheer gets hurt sliding Bolles over to RT.  Don’t think that’s how Denver would do it though. 

Bolles should stay at T if we go Williams.  Having 3 T esp a 1-year stopgap with huge injury risk in Veldheer is not a problem we should worry about IMO.  

Williams better to start as G and move to T than Bolles doing that IMO.  

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Mike Gesicki is a more talented TE overall than Goedert. His measurables are off the charts and he is such a natural pass catcher. Hopefully, his blocking woes allow him to drop and we can snag him at 3.71. Immediately would be our 3rd best receiving option and good value even if his blocking relegates him to TE2. I dont see passivity in his game or blocking, just a lack of technique and strength. 

If we found a way to land Chubb, Williams and Gesicki we would have drafted my top rated players at DL, OT and TE. That would be insane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think that Mike Gesicki is a more talented TE overall than Goedert. His measurables are off the charts and he is such a natural pass catcher. Hopefully, his blocking woes allow him to drop and we can snag him at 3.71. Immediately would be our 3rd best receiving option and good value even if his blocking relegates him to TE2. I dont see passivity in his game or blocking, just a lack of technique and strength. 

If we found a way to land Chubb, Williams and Gesicki we would have drafted my top rated players at DL, OT and TE. That would be insane. 

Gesicki is an awesome receiver.  But I really don’t see him being more than an inside WR in a tight end body.   That’s why I love Goedert he can be like Kelce or Ertz (not as good blocking as Kelce but a good blocker now).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like Cleveland is going Chubb from NFL Network.  So there may be a big run on RBs after the Giants pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Bolles should stay at T if we go Williams.  Having 3 T esp a 1-year stopgap with huge injury risk in Veldheer is not a problem we should worry about IMO.  

Williams better to start as G and move to T than Bolles doing that IMO.  

The injury doesn’t worry me.  I’m basing it more on fit.  Williams, at least as a prospect, is a much better pass protector than Bolles was coming out.  While Bolles is the better run blocker.  

I really don’t care either way.  But generally teams have their best pass proetector at LT, and Williams is probably better than Bolles in that respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, germ-x said:

The injury doesn’t worry me.  I’m basing it more on fit.  Williams, at least as a prospect, is a much better pass protector than Bolles was coming out.  While Bolles is the better run blocker.  

I really don’t care either way.  But generally teams have their best pass proetector at LT, and Williams is probably better than Bolles in that respect.

Yeah I hear that.  Just if we are trying to see if Bolles can be a LT we stick with it.   Until he shows he can’t.   Williams allows us to have options though I can’t argue the thinking if he’s there.   I’d be a little surprised if he was still around at 2.40 though.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

The injury doesn’t worry me.  I’m basing it more on fit.  Williams, at least as a prospect, is a much better pass protector than Bolles was coming out.  While Bolles is the better run blocker.  

I really don’t care either way.  But generally teams have their best pass proetector at LT, and Williams is probably better than Bolles in that respect.

I think Williams' short wingspan limits him to the right side though. he has great feet and will win 98% of his matchups, but when he loses it will be over quickly due to the defender getting his hands in on him. with a R handed QB I want him to be able to see it coming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The injury doesn’t worry me.  I’m basing it more on fit.  Williams, at least as a prospect, is a much better pass protector than Bolles was coming out.  While Bolles is the better run blocker.  

I think with Connor you simply sit him as a swing OT as a rookie. I dont think it makes sense to mess his OT development by putting him at OG. And even if allowed to compete, I dont believe he would beat out the far more natural OG in McGovern. Groom him as a LT then move Bolles to RT in year 3. That gives Bolles two seasons to be forced into pass protection development at LT then boom, gets moved to his natural RT with improved pass protection but also lands at the spot that maximizes his mauling run blocking talents. 

We could go w/ this in 2019:

LT - Connor Williams

LG - Alex Cappa (R4-5)

OC - Connor McGovern 

RG - Ron Leary

RT - Garret Bolles

That is one MEAN offensive line with insane positional versatility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

He was injured all year last season and never rebounded. Prior to that he was quite good. Had 8 sacks in 2016. I think we simply resign whoever is cheaper between he and Shaq. 

But, since were not going to make a true run this season it may be in the best long-term interest to deal one of the two today. Get the value now because we are not going to be resigning both. Maybe something like Shane Ray or Shaq Barrett for a low R3 pick. 

I'm just honestly not high on his game. I know last year was supposed to be his breakout year and he got hurt, but he's never blown me away with his talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think Williams' short wingspan limits him to the right side though. he has great feet and will win 98% of his matchups, but when he loses it will be over quickly due to the defender getting his hands in on him. with a R handed QB I want him to be able to see it coming. 

Could certainly be right there.  Either way, Williams is probably the guy I want most at #40.  Whether he’s an OG, LT, RT, or a combination of all 3 throughout his career.  

He significantly upgrades the talent along the OL and adds versatility.  You always have to bank on OL injuries.  Adding Williams really helps Denver’s depth and flexibility.  Not to mention, he’d probably be the BPA on the board if he lasts to #40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

It sounds like Cleveland is going Chubb from NFL Network.  So there may be a big run on RBs after the Giants pick

Again though the position depth at RB this year allows us to be patient.   Chubb is a guy I’d see going soon.  Better value with 3.7 though.  

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Could certainly be right there.  Either way, Williams is probably the guy I want most at #40.  Whether he’s an OG, LT, RT, or a combination of all 3 throughout his career.  

He significantly upgrades the talent along the OL and adds versatility.  You always have to bank on OL injuries.  Adding Williams really helps Denver’s depth and flexibility.  Not to mention, he’d probably be the BPA on the board if he lasts to #40.

Don't get me wrong, I really like williams. I like Crosby a little more but I would not be mad with the pick at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Don't get me wrong, I really like williams. I like Crosby a little more but I would not be mad with the pick at all. 

I like Crosby as well.

Denver is going to have a good football player on the board at #40, no doubt.  

Lets hope Elway goes with talent+production and not just talent like he has in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×