.....with the 40th pick in then NFL Draft....the Denver Broncos select? Let’s set the board

BaldyBronco

I like Crosby as well.

Same. I lean towards Connor because I think Bolles maxes his talent at RT, and Connor has the movement skills to play LT  (Length is an issue, but overblown IMO). 

If we want to keep Bolles at LT, then Crosby is a better fit at RT than Connor IMHO. I also like Crosby inside moreso than Connor. 

But its all about maxing the talent, and a combo at LT/RT of Connor/Bolles intrigues me a bit more than LT/RT Bolles/Crosby. 

6 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I like Crosby as well.

Denver is going to have a good football player on the board at #40, no doubt.  

Lets hope Elway goes with talent+production and not just talent like he has in the past.

Today’s picks will be really telling on elways mindset 

13 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Could certainly be right there.  Either way, Williams is probably the guy I want most at #40.  Whether he’s an OG, LT, RT, or a combination of all 3 throughout his career.  

He significantly upgrades the talent along the OL and adds versatility.  You always have to bank on OL injuries.  Adding Williams really helps Denver’s depth and flexibility.  Not to mention, he’d probably be the BPA on the board if he lasts to #40.

I think Williams would be a great pick regardless of where we put him. Problem is he won't be there at 40. I don't think Crosby will be there either.

I think it's time to start moving around a bit.

It gets pretty cheap now. A move from 40 to 33 is only 80 points, about the value of a mid round 4th.

Here are my top choices at 40.  Would be happy with any of these.

RB Derrius Guice  - I know the class is pretty deep, BUT Guice is a 3 down back who racked up yardage in the tough SEC.  I really think he would be a great jolt for our offense.

RB Ronald Jones - May need to add a little weight but he can be a 3 down guy.  Comp is Jamaal Charles, but another guy capable of boosting our run game.

CB Josh Jackson - His man coverage skills are my concern, but he can come in and handle slot duty until he develops.  He's a bigger CB, with I think we will target.

CB Carlton Davis - He plays with an edge.  He is also a bigger guy with long arms. 

CB Isaiah Oliver - Local guy who also can help in the return game.  Wouldn't be surprised if we got him. 

G Will Hernandez - I think he will be gone, but you can't really go wrong with him.  You never have enough Lineman and he and Leary should clear some holes for our running backs.

C/G James Daniels - Another guy who could come in and start right away IMO.  A safe and solid pick, but I think he will be gone by 40.

I think with this pick we will be replacing CJ or Talib.  Guice/Jones or Jackson/Oliver/Davis.  That's my feeling.

52 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think Williams would be a great pick regardless of where we put him. Problem is he won't be there at 40. I don't think Crosby will be there either.

I think it's time to start moving around a bit.

It gets pretty cheap now. A move from 40 to 33 is only 80 points, about the value of a mid round 4th.

With IND and CLE getting 2 picks and IND taking Nelson only 1 pick goes to T.   IND needs a ton of D help.  

TAM & CHI are looking for G help more than T.   NYG could def go T but they might go G.  

All of which to say - I don’t think Williams makes it to 2.40 but def think 1 if not both of the Crosby / O’Neill (who I don’t like as much) T tier will be there.  

I really don’t think we need to move up.  2.40 gets us Goedert or a OL / CB we’d have been thrilled to have if we were picking 8-10 spots earlier.  

Edited by Broncofan

With Elway's tendency to reach in round 2, who do you all think might be some of the players he could reach for at 40?

My List

1. Bryan O'Neill - OT - Pitt - Has everything you want from an athleticism standpoint.  Checks the boxes for height and length too.  Needs to get stronger.
  2. Genard Avery - LB - Memphis - Gets comps to Hassan Reddick last year, as he can play inside linebacker or rush from the edge.  Covers in the slot as well.
  3. Fred Warner - LB - BYU - Good athlete who will be a good coverage linebacker.
  4. Rasheem Green - DE - USC - Analysts and scouts have said that Green could've been a top 10 pick next year if he stayed at school. If Elway's caught wind of that upside I wouldn't put it past him to grab Green, especially given the uncertainty/need at the position.

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

With IND and CLE getting 2 picks and IND taking Nelson only 1 pick goes to T.   IND needs a ton of D help.  

TAM & CHI are looking for G help more than T.   NYG could def go T but they might go G.  

All of which to say - I don’t think Williams makes it to 2.40 but def think 1 if not both of the Crosby / O’Neill (who I don’t like as much) T tier will be there.  

I really don’t think we need to move up.  2.40 gets us Goedert or a OL / CB we’d have been thrilled to have if we were picking 8-10 spots earlier.  

I didn't make my point that well, let me try again.

I used OT as an example but my point is, if a player on your board has already dropped 5+ spots from where you had him ranked, don't wait for him to drop another 5 or 6 to your spot, go get him!

6 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I didn't make my point that well, let me try again.

I used OT as an example but my point is, if a player on your board has already dropped 5+ spots from where you had him ranked, don't wait for him to drop another 5 or 6 to your spot, go get him!

I totally get what you are saying - but what if 5-6 guys at positions of need have fallen and you are 8 picks away?  And the teams ahead don’t seem likely to get more than 3-4?  Standing pat makes a ton of sense then.   That’s what I’m seeing. 

I  get you are saying go after Conor Williams - if he was one of 2-3 guys 8 picks away I’m right there with you.    But right now it’s just that I see Hernandez / Oliver / Jackson / Goedert / Hurst & Landry as similar top 20-30 tier talents.  2+ should be there at 2.40.    

There are at least 6 guys I had ranked at 50+ who went round 1.  That’s nuts.   Great for us though if Elway doesn’t feel he has to go for a skill position out of need.   That’s not where the value is for 2.40.  

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

With Elway's tendency to reach in round 2, who do you all think might be some of the players he could reach for at 40?

My List

1. Bryan O'Neill - OT - Pitt - Has everything you want from an athleticism standpoint.  Checks the boxes for height and length too.  Needs to get stronger.
  2. Genard Avery - LB - Memphis - Gets comps to Hassan Reddick last year, as he can play inside linebacker or rush from the edge.  Covers in the slot as well.
  3. Fred Warner - LB - BYU - Good athlete who will be a good coverage linebacker.
  4. Rasheem Green - DE - USC - Analysts and scouts have said that Green could've been a top 10 pick next year if he stayed at school. If Elway's caught wind of that upside I wouldn't put it past him to grab Green, especially given the uncertainty/need at the position.

I love Warner but no way he should go ahead of Leonard / Jefferson.    Maybe even Griffin. 

I think today will be an offense-heavy day. Chubb was clearly a BPA pick and, frankly, I think they were shocked he was still on the board. I think today we will see picks that could be construed as reaches, but I think we will get three good players who fill various needs for us. I would be surprised if we don't two of our three picks today on offensive players, maybe all three. I think we will get at least one skill position player and one offensive lineman. I wouldn't mind at all getting a defensive player like Jackson or Oliver but I think we spend at least two of the three on offense. 

25 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I totally get what you are saying - but what if 5-6 guys at positions of need have fallen and you are 8 picks away?  And the teams ahead don’t seem likely to get more than 3-4?  Standing pat makes a ton of sense then.   That’s what I’m seeing. 

I  get you are saying go after Conor Williams - if he was one of 2-3 guys 8 picks away I’m right there with you.    But right now it’s just that I see Hernandez / Oliver / Jackson / Goedert / Hurst & Landry as similar top 20-30 tier talents.  2+ should be there at 2.40.    

There are at least 6 guys I had ranked at 50+ who went round 1.  That’s nuts.   Great for us though if Elway doesn’t feel he has to go for a skill position out of need.   That’s not where the value is for 2.40.  

I think you're really overcomplicating my point. Once again, I just used OT as an example.

The point is this. Another example: If you have a guy you love that was 23 on your board but he's now dropped to 33, don't expect him to drop to 40. Make a trade up and get him.

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

I think you're really overcomplicating my point. Once again, I just used OT as an example.

The point is this. Another example: If you have a guy you love that was 23 on your board but he's now dropped to 33, don't expect him to drop to 40. Make a trade up and get him.

Again though - what if there are 5 guys you like who’ve fallen that hard?  Then you wait.  Someone will likely be there.  

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think today will be an offense-heavy day. Chubb was clearly a BPA pick and, frankly, I think they were shocked he was still on the board. I think today we will see picks that could be construed as reaches, but I think we will get three good players who fill various needs for us. I would be surprised if we don't two of our three picks today on offensive players, maybe all three. I think we will get at least one skill position player and one offensive lineman. I wouldn't mind at all getting a defensive player like Jackson or Oliver but I think we spend at least two of the three on offense. 

Hey AAA good call yesterday when you signed off the draft board as you had some running around to do.  You said our pick would be Chubb and lo and behold it was.  He was who I wanted but never thought we would get.  My buddy is a CLE fan and has been dragging around the office all day.  I thought I would be feeling like him today but I had to rub it in to him telling him CLE just has a way of helping us Broncos out.  He and I go back to the late 80's days and the Drive play that got us to the Superbowl at the expense of Cle - 2 years in a row we got through them to get to the SB.  CLE - the gift that keeps on giving.  He's not to happy today and I have a three mile smile and I think it gets even bigger tonight!  

• Like 1