3rd Round Pick (88th Overall): Oren Burks [LB; Vanderbilt]

CWood21

4 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:
12 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Lowry is a BAD #3 guys... 

How many #3 guys are better? He’s at least middle-of-the-pack. 

I don't want to look it up now but there is no way he is a middle of the pack IDL

Thought Burks looked better in the senior bowl than in his regular season, made a couple nice plays in the backfield. Side note, seems like we like guys that play in the senior bowl,  Burks/Madison/J'mon played in it.

3 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I don't want to look it up now but there is no way he is a middle of the pack IDL

I’d need to see the names you derive your frame of reference from. Other teams’ depth generally aren’t as good as people think.

12 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

So which players would you name that fit that description?

Seahawks: Nazair Jones

Chargers: Darius Philon

Rams: Ethan Westbrooks

Just a few off the top of my head. 

Then you've got teams like Jacksonville and also Seattle with guys like Campbell and Bennett who are listed as starting edge rushers but then slide inside on pressure downs and a third talented edge rusher comes into the game. The problem isn't Lowry of Fackrell, you could live with either of them as your 6th/7th front line guy, but when they're your 5th front line guy you've got issues. Clay/Perry/Daniels/Clark is a real nice front group on base downs, but the Jaguars can run out Ngakoue/Malik Jackson/Calais Campbell/Dante Fowler Jr. We don't have that and while they run that lineup, Marcell Dareus and Arby Jones get to catch their breath. 

22 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:
24 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

You really think 31 other teams have a better #3 interior defensive lineman than Lowry? 

read

4 hours ago, SSG said:

I think this is crazy.  You must have viewed Morgan Burnett as JAG and a fringe NFL starter.  Josh Jones was an absolute abomination in coverage.  Unless he was playing ILB, he looked like he had no business being on the field in passing downs.  I don't see how he's going to make that significant and instant of an improvement to be an upgrade over Burnett who was very stout in coverage. 

I understand that McCarthy was raving about him in camp but find me a player the coaching staff isn't raving about at that time?  Josh Jones didn't look like an every down safety last year.  I've got my doubts that he's going to make that sort of significant and instant improvement that quick.  He's a great athlete but his over aggression killed this defense at time last year and had him looking as bad in coverage as any SS in football last year.  He was one of the NFL's worst rated safeties last year by PFF.  If we're expecting him to start and take over for MB we're going to need MAJOR improvements.

Yeah, we've never had a young safety look lost in coverage as a rookie or second year guy. Oh wait, Collins, Sharper, Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix all come to mind as having the same struggles. I also remember most fans wanting to give up on them too. 

For me, Burnett is the definition of a JAG. He doesn't make many splash plays and he struggles staying on the field. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Yeah, we've never had a young safety look lost in coverage as a rookie or second year guy. Oh wait, Collins, Sharper, Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix all come to mind as having the same struggles. I also remember most fans wanting to give up on them too. 

For me, Burnett is the definition of a JAG. He doesn't make many splash plays and he struggles staying on the field. 

Nobody wanted to give up on HHCD his rookie year. 

There's also a difference between that set of guys and Jones. Jones didn't have the highlights in coverage that the other guys did. There's a difference between inconsistency and getting your *** kicked. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nobody wanted to give up on HHCD his rookie year. 

There's also a difference between that set of guys and Jones. Jones didn't have the highlights in coverage that the other guys did. There's a difference between inconsistency and getting your *** kicked. 

As rookies? I beg to differ with the possible exception of Ha Ha who didn't embarrass himself completely in coverage as a rookie. Sharper and Collins were completely clueless as rookies. They were bad in their second year in the NFL. Morgan Burnett didn't start but 4 games. 

I guess we'll see in the fall, but I think Jones is going to shock a lot of you folks. 

When Jones knew what to do, he was fine. The problem was he blew too many assignments... We'll see if he can learn the playbook this year.

What gives me hope for Jones is how well he looked in preseason when they ran a lot of basic stuff. 

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

read

I did read.  TransientTexan asked you how many #3 guys are better.  You said there's no way he's a middle of the pack guy.  How many teams have a better #3?  If you can't think of 16 teams that have a better #3 interior defensive lineman, he is, by definition, at least middle of the pack as far as #3 interior defensive linemen.  Not sure what else I'm supposed to read. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

As rookies? I beg to differ with the possible exception of Ha Ha who didn't embarrass himself completely in coverage as a rookie. Sharper and Collins were completely clueless as rookies. They were bad in their second year in the NFL. Morgan Burnett didn't start but 4 games. 

I guess we'll see in the fall, but I think Jones is going to shock a lot of you folks. 

Darren Sharper forced 3 Turnovers and scored 3 defensive TDs as a rookie.

Nick Collins forced 3 Turnovers and had 8 PD as a rookie.

Josh Jones did not show that level of pass defense as a rookie. Josh Jones looked like a 4-3 Will backer learning a new position as a rookie. 

I hope that we see Jones really take off this year. He has the movement skills to do it, but this is not a sure thing in any way. 

4 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

If we compare apples to apples (a team’s 3rd-best DL vs. everyone else’s 3rd-best DL) Lowry looks fairly good. Sure you could find a better DL in the league for the #3 spot, but so could a lot of teams.

As of now, he's penciled in as the 4th best Packer DL, so he looks even better there.

He's a big active guy who got a little better his 2nd year. If he improves a little bit more, he' s a very good rotational D-lineman. 

Archived