2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

6 minutes ago, sherm said:

That was his 2nd sack...lol they left him unblocked on his 1st sack right before PSU missed FG. Just doin what he has done all season long. 

If there is a guy you leave unblocked on the Kentucky defense, it is probably not Allen. 

8 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Also, they use him to draw the tackles inside. That sack had Allen take up the right side of the line, clearing the way for the corner. 

He drew another double team earlier by the GL and Kash Daniel got that sack.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Didn't see the game but saw his two sacks. One of them unblocked and other on a stunt. Did he get any other QB hits from any pass rush move? Or that was it? 

Well, sort of. Yes, those are his two sacks. And there were the sacks he created for teammates Aldon style by driving inside and forcing a double team. And the blocked field goal. And the edge setting. All of these factors disappeared with his finger sprain and have contributed to Penn State's one real drive of the game. 

Meh, I still need to see more. The last sack was basically just a speed rush past the LT. He blew by him sure enough but it's the same type of sack I've seen him make over and over. Was hoping to see a little more from him. Like I said, when his speed gets stonewalled he just kind of keeps at it with no counter and that's disturbing. He looks like a strong kid but I don't see any power in his bag of tricks. He doesn't shoot back inside and counter. That's the one thing I like about Burns. He may be a lightweight but he'll use his speed rush to set-up a inside counter or use the swim-over to dip inside and outside of blockers. I'll be able to dissect Allen's game more thoroughly@the Senior Bowl....can't wait.

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Meh, I still need to see more. The last sack was basically just a speed rush past the LT. He blew by him sure enough but it's the same type of sack I've seen him make over and over. Was hoping to see a little more from him. Like I said, when his speed gets stonewalled he just kind of keeps at it with no counter and that's disturbing. He looks like a strong kid but I don't see any power in his bag of tricks. He doesn't shoot back inside and counter. That's the one thing I like about Burns. He may be a lightweight but he'll use his speed rush to set-up a inside counter or use the swim-over to dip inside and outside of blockers. I'll be able to dissect Allen's game more thoroughly@the Senior Bowl....can't wait.

Fwiw, I think what you're talking about is usually considered a good thing by NFL guys. Rather have this problem, something that can be taught and corrected, than problems that can't. It typically leads people to believe that there are higher ceilings. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Fwiw, I think what you're talking about is usually considered a good thing by NFL guys. Rather have this problem, something that can be taught and corrected, than problems that can't. It typically leads people to believe that there are higher ceilings. 

My issue is speed-to-power. All the best pass-rushers convert speed-to-power extremely well and don't just rely on a great first step and bending the corner. The bull rush is completely absent from his game. That's my biggest issue at this point. It's not a death sentence but it's very concerning for me that his game lacks that 'pop' at the POA and the ability to use leverage. I'm not sure speed-to-power can be taught. It irks me that I never see him with his hand in the dirt either but that's not really that big of a deal.

Just now, 757-NINER said:

My issue is speed-to-power. All the best pass-rushers convert speed-to-power extremely well and don't just rely on a great first step and bending the corner. The bull rush is completely absent from his game. That's my biggest issue at this point. It's not a death sentence but it's very concerning for me that his game lacks that 'pop' at the POA and the ability to use leverage. It irks me that I never see him with his hand in the dirt either but that's not really that big of a deal.

Yeah, the hand in the dirt thing kind of is what it is. I used to be wary of that as well, but given the college game, it's so hard to know now so I've tried not to knock guys for it too  much. 

I don't disagree with the speed to power - another reason that I was comping him out to Anthony Barr and felt he was following a similar trajectory in his NFL career earlier in the season (Barr struggled to convert speed to power as well). At this point, I'm just rolling with it, though. The fact of the matter is, for me, Allen is just a flat out better player than guys like Polite, Burns, etc. You may be correct in that he's never the pass rusher they are (though I'm not going to give up on that because he's so unrefined, it's hard to know what he can actually develop into, and his worth ethic is highly encouraging from everything I've read on him), and I Know that's primarily what we are looking at, but the guy is just good at football. And I have to have faith that we are going to get a lot out of him if we draft him, even if it's maybe not entirely what we were expecting. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

My issue is speed-to-power. All the best pass-rushers convert speed-to-power extremely well and don't just rely on a great first step and bending the corner. The bull rush is completely absent from his game. That's my biggest issue at this point. It's not a death sentence but it's very concerning for me that his game lacks that 'pop' at the POA and the ability to use leverage. I'm not sure speed-to-power can be taught. It irks me that I never see him with his hand in the dirt either but that's not really that big of a deal.

I agree with the lack of a speed-to-power move. He straight up does not use it and he'll need it against the hug technique at the next level. That's the biggest difference between himself and Bosa. Now, can Bosa carry a TE in coverage? Is he as dangerous with a two-way go from a wide 9? No. Both are skilled with their hands. Bosa uses one hand longer than two principles and puts his left arm in your chest. Over and over again. Allen's hands are used to defeat your punch. It looks like just speed sometime, but the sack on the stunt today and several others this season involved him winning the hand fight over the punch instantaneously. Allen is also terrific at little lateral movements during the rush without losing speed, defeating the punch that way by screwing your timing. If you try to punch Allen, Allen is pretty much going to win. Now, if you wait and get wide, you can handle him. And he will need speed to power to defeat that. Not showing it now is a concern, but not a huge one for me, given that he has the body mass and the functional strength. Mack was a speed to power maniac even in college. Didn't win very often on the outside speed move, though. He's added that to his game to defeat punches, and it's made a huge difference in his game. 

Archived