2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

9 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

My mock draft:

R1P5: Dwayne Haskin QB OSU

R2P5: Cody Ford OT OU

R3P5: Deebo Samual WR SC

R3P29: T.J. Hockenson TE IOWA

R4P5: Dakota Allen ILB TTech

R6P5: Issac Nauta TE Georgia

P7P23: Chuma Edoga OT USC 

I would be shocked if Hockenson fell that far. I've seen him go in round 1 in mocks.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I really doubt we do unless we just don't like anyone. If Haskins and Herbert stay it gets tricky.

I mean, Coughlin apparently coveted Watson back in his first draft he was in our organization and likely would have taken him had he not trusted or went with Caldwell's plan. He deserves just as much blame, BUT when we had a clear need for a QB he was fine reaching on a QB prospect top 5. I doubt it is changed here.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, Coughlin apparently coveted Watson back in his first draft he was in our organization and likely would have taken him had he not trusted or went with Caldwell's plan. He deserves just as much blame, BUT when we had a clear need for a QB he was fine reaching on a QB prospect top 5. I doubt it is changed here.

Personally I don't see how you can justify picking 2 QBs in the top 5 in less than 5 yrs that is just ridiculous. I can't really knock Caldwell or Coughlin in hindsight in their decision to pass on the QBs especially when this team just wasn't coached well under Bradley's watch.  

2 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Personally I don't see how you can justify picking 2 QBs in the top 5 in less than 5 yrs that is just ridiculous. I can't really knock Caldwell or Coughlin in hindsight in their decision to pass on the QBs especially when this team just wasn't coached well under Bradley's watch.  

I guess, but if a guy clearly isn't it you have to cut your losses. Coughlin was hired to oversee operations and wasn't a part of the past regime. He should have come and saw this as a blank canvas with help needed everywhere. Blake was coming off an absolutely awful year and hadn't shown much hope prior.

Either way, point was more so that he was high on a QB prospect and would have likely taken one that wasn't seen as worthy of a top 5 consideration...so I like the chances of it happening with a definite QB need barring FA moves.

52 minutes ago, MJD4MVP5455 said:

I just have a feeling we trade back into round 1 and draft Will Grier or trade back to a DL hungry team to pick up picks and take Grier then.

Grier wouldn't surprise me. I've seen a lot of Keenum comparisons that I sort of understand that worry me a tad. His persona is definitely much different though.

On 20/12/2018 at 1:51 PM, .Buzz said:

Exactly why I'm not making the pick.

I'm not sure I'd have taken Mahomes if I was KC in there position either myself. But they obviously saw something in him and had a decent vet to hold the reigns for a little bit. I think that's good a long way for a guy with raw tools like Lock. Idk if I'm enamored with him, but I wasn't enamored with other QBs just like Mahomes and co. either and look where we sit and look where KC sits.

This would be the year to do it from a fan perspective too. Maybe if Bosa or some other dominant DL that you are sure will be an all pro you don't ala Bortles/Mack, but if we keep Coughlin and next year we have a similar year he may hit the road so the next FO that is hired won't be graded with the QB he takes if we go that route. We may try and salvage a QB if they don't work out, but they also would be less likely to wait for 3-4 years before cutting bait like a new FO that took a QB would do.

So if we land Lock and he works out we're set, if not Coughlin is out, new regime comes in, new QB can be brought in.

Sucks to look at it that way but I don't like sitting and waiting for "next year" on QBs. Things happen, shine rubs off some guys, guys take steps back and I don't want to sit here and get on the Tua bandwagon when we may have similar questions about his game at the next level after another year of play too.

This doesn't mean blindly take a QB, but if you think a guy has the tools to be a franchise guy take him and dont look back. I will say, if we do take Lock, we better have someone better than Kessler or a guy like Henne back when we got Bortles so the rookie can sit for at least half a season or so, if not a full year.

Fair enough i guess.

As a fan, i still really hate this idea that this regime can take one last "free shot" at a QB and worst case...they're gone, and we as fans are potentially just stuck watching a team spinning it's wheels, wasting extremely valuable 1st round picks on desperation hail mary attemps if they stuff it.  That may well be the mentality of Coughlin and whoever he's working with come draft day...but it kinda sucks as a fan, knowing that they might just be chucking one up and hoping it pans out.  I think if you're Coughlin, you also probably have some ego creeping in when it comes to your "legacy".  You're Tom...on your last gig before retirement...do you really want to be the guy who goes out drafting a bust, pulverizing any good will you have in Jacksonville into dust, and riding out in shame?

I do generally agree that "the grass is always greener" thing can play into QB discussions too much at times.  I'm not really sold on Tua tbh, that i think he's going to be a surefire franchise saver either.  But it ultimately always just comes down to the prospects this year, and right now...it looks dicey to me.  And that's if Haskins and Herbert are both in the conversation, which doesn't look like any kind of certainty.  Sometimes, a bad looking QB class is just bad.  Doesn't require a grass is greener looking over to the next draft...it's just about the guys this year being suspect.  Right now...Haskins is the only one i kinda like, and he's a really scary 1-year-wonder himself.

In any case, i think it's really interesting the way this year's draft is kinda setting up at QB.  Unlike a lot of years...it almost seems a bit upside-down in that the "top tier" guys in Haskins, Herbert, and even Lock if we're gonna throw him in there...they're all real "projects".  Some of them with alarmingly little experience.  Whereas if we're talking about going into next year and having a guy walk in and start to "save their job" or whatever and keep things afloat next year...it's potentially kinda the "second wave" of QBs who carry the experience to maybe step right in as Seniors.  Guys like Thorson, Rypien, and Grier to an extent...though he's obviously heavier in the practice reps and less weighty on the game reps with all the transfer stuff.  They all carry a bit of "low ceiling" stigma, but some of these guys have thrown like 3 times as many high level collegiate passes as a guy like Haskins and run arguably more sophisticated offenses for multiple years.

If it's one last gasp from this regime trying to find a QB to fill in next year and save them...there might be options in that sort of group that are attractive too.  More so than a project who might not even really play next year until the season is lost (if we land a decent vet stopgap).  Especially if you can also land a serious gamebreaker at another position (preferably on the offense somewhere) to make things easier.

12 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

I fully endorse the dose of cold hard reality they're dishing out here with regard to real QB success rates.  I wouldn't tend to be quite as stringent in my qualifications for a truly successful QB pick...but i think in general, the premise is sound and oft ignored.  You're far more likely to pick a QB who doesn't stabilize your franchise long-term, than one who does.  Even in the first round.

Though i think it's kinda funny with their methodology and math there...if you do include Romo...that's like 4/10 of those rare QBs who qualify for those elite benchmarks who are drafted either outside the 1st round, or not drafted at all.  It's not really a viable strategy for finding a franchise QB because the hit rate is insanely low in general, much less outside the 1st round...but i do find it kinda funny that just under half their elite batch of qualifying QBs were in fact, unearthed outside that 1st round they're arguing we pretty much have to go to in order to find out answer.  I'd say a "shotgun approach" of multiple lower value picks invested might be worth thinking about, but pragmatically and logistically, you can only take so many shots at a time...it just isn't feasible.

I just think that in general...if you're really sold on a guy, it's worth the risk.  But you have to go in understanding that most of these QBs drafted in the 1st round are in fact...not going to be good enough.  It's not necessarily a bleak nihilistic take to not really like 1st round QB prospects in any given year.  Especially not in a perceived "weak" QB crop.  It's more like...realism.  Might be wrong, maybe Haskins and Herbert and even Lock all become stars...but realistically, that hasn't proven statistically likely in recent history.  And they all look to me, like QBs with some pretty serious potentially fatal flaws, not all too well concealed in their collegiate play.  Just wary of talking up "the best guys available" or excusing away real flaws just because they're available right now, and we need a QB like...yesterday.

Archived