Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Cakeshoppe said:

One of Cole Madison’s teammates at WSU (a QB so they may hve been fairly close) committed suicide in January and it recently came out that he had CTE. If I had to guess I’d say that he’s probably feeling pretty conflicted about a sport that he just found out may have killed one of his close friends. Just a guess. 

Seems the most obvious thing to me.

5 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

One of Cole Madison’s teammates at WSU (a QB so they may hve been fairly close) committed suicide in January and it recently came out that he had CTE. If I had to guess I’d say that he’s probably feeling pretty conflicted about a sport that he just found out may have killed one of his close friends. Just a guess. 

Maybe... but then why enter the draft, do OTA's, ect?

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm really upset because I like Ryan, but it's kinda funny to me how half this board complains about Ryan and then he gets injured and it's the end of the world. 

It's really not much to worry about.  David Harris had 127 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 2 interceptions in his first season with Pettine. 

Kiko Alonso's rookie year was under Pettine as a DC.  He had 159 tackles, 2 sacks and 4 interceptions.  In his three seasons since he last worked with Pettine, he's had 1 total sack and 3 total interceptions. 

Mike Pettine elevates the inside linebacker position.  It's not a position we ever had to worry about to begin with.  We don't need a veteran replacement. 

If anything, we'd probably be better off moving Fackrell to ILB and signing a veteran pass rusher.  Fackrell might have a chance at a decent NFL career at ILB.  Not at EDGE. 

David Harris and Alonso were also very good players at the time, especially Harris. I'd take either one in their prime over Ryan and Ryan is the best ILB we have for his role on the team, by a large margin. For me, his injury isn't a huge deal because it's "Jake Ryan," his injury is a huge deal because we don't have a suitable replacement for his job on the team. Burks and Jones aren't suitable run-stuffing ILBs. Moreover, taking another player from another position and saying "fixed" is a lazy approach. There literally is no downside to adding a vet ILB if Ryan goes on IR, none. 

2 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

After some further reading, Madison flew in from Florida for the vigil. In another article, a photographer singled out Madison and Hilinski as “absolute best friends”. In a third article, Hilinski said Madison was his role model and described him as an older brother. Seems like they were very close. 

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

People wanted Nelson at #14, he went at #6, no one was clamoring for a trade up. So I"m not sure how you'd LOL at that? Also, judging from what I've read out of Colt's camp so far, you're not going to be laughing at Nelson down the road. 

Oh, I'll still be laughing at Nelson.  When have you ever read a training camp report of a top 10 draft pick not looking promising?  I'll also be laughing because unless he turns out to be the greatest interior offensive lineman of all time, he still won't have been worth a top 10 pick.

Just now, packfanfb said:

David Harris and Alonso were also very good players at the time, especially Harris. I'd take either one in their prime over Ryan and Ryan is the best ILB we have for his role on the team, by a large margin. For me, his injury isn't a huge deal because it's "Jake Ryan," his injury is a huge deal because we don't have a suitable replacement for his job on the team. Burks and Jones aren't suitable run-stuffing ILBs. Moreover, taking another player from another position and saying "fixed" is a lazy approach. There literally is no downside to adding a vet ILB if Ryan goes on IR, none. 

No downside?  I guess that'd be true if there wasn't something that limited how many players can be signed on a team.  Something like a salary cap. 

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Maybe... but then why enter the draft, do OTA's, ect?

It wasn’t until July that I found any articles about the CTE. If Madison just recently found out that football played a significant role in the tragedy, I’d definitely underftand him having second thoughts about all of it. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Dude it'll be a vet min contact, chill out.

Don't tell me what to do.

If we're adding veterans, EDGE and WR are more important than ILB.  Possibly even guard.  If we sign a WR and a pass rusher, absolutely, sign an ILB.  If signing an ILB doesn't keep us from adding a WR/Pass rusher, sure.  Absolutely.  Otherwise...

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Don't tell me what to do.

If we're adding veterans, EDGE and WR are more important than ILB.  Possibly even guard.  If we sign a WR and a pass rusher, absolutely, sign an ILB.  If signing an ILB doesn't keep us from adding a WR/Pass rusher, sure.  Absolutely.  Otherwise...

They may be more important, but they’re also money positions. I doubt you’ll get much upgrade over Facrell or Allison for the vet min. I do think you can get a pretty decent upgrade over burks (for that thumper role) for the vet min. 

Archived