Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Hell, I remember when they called Aaron Rodgers a bust after relief duty against the Ravens.

i remember a 13 year old fin starting a "Trade Rodgers for Troy Smith" thread. was my first post i think. set a precedent for my contributions here. 

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I would love it if Geronimo was Boykin 2.0.  If we can get 49 rec 681 yards and 3 TDs from him this season while J'Mon, MVS, and EQ get better acclimated to the NFL, that would be great! 

I have no clue why I keep reading that comp on here. That talent gap is as big as the difference in play styles!!!

Boykin was VERY well coached and as pro ready as they come. Classic YAC receiver that just wasn't an NFL talent.

Allison was a very raw former junior college kid with some baggage but a very talented corner fade type. 

I'd give a small lean to Boykin with the ball in his hands because it's clearly never going to be a strong point for Allison. I would lean Allison for truly every other aspect of position played though when it comes to actual talent. 

Keep Allison out of the slot and he'll be just fine!

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If you told me I could get EQ in the 6th no way I take either of those two.

I'll take Jackson and Burks with EQ any day

Hey Ray, just thinking out loud here because he was one of mine and I recommend a full board pull(as did half the guys I talked with post draft). But what's on your mind with EQ?

2 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

Hey Ray, just thinking out loud here because he was one of mine and I recommend a full board pull(as did half the guys I talked with post draft). But what's on your mind with EQ?

Why did EQ fall? I’m a ND fan and I never heard anything about his father or really anything negative about the kid. Always felt his best ball was ahead of him, his QBs didn’t do him many favors. 

7 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Why did EQ fall? I’m a ND fan and I never heard anything about his father or really anything negative about the kid. Always felt his best ball was ahead of him, his QBs didn’t do him many favors. 

Very talented kid and his best ball might just be ahead of him. I just didn't like the kid half as much as I liked the football player and had doubts about his fit in our room. That ND staff didn't exactly pound the table for him either. 

I don't see much position versatility but the pure talent is quite real. I like his odds in Green Bay a good bit more than some other rooms though.

1 minute ago, palmy50 said:

Very talented kid and his best ball might just be ahead of him. I just didn't like the kid half as much as I liked the football player and had doubts about his fit in our room. That ND staff didn't exactly pound the table for him either. 

I don't see much position versatility but the pure talent is quite real. I like his odds in Green Bay a good bit more than some other rooms though.

I thank that's how pretty much everybody saw him. Big, athletic, boundary receiver who needs to figure out the position, because it sure as hell isn't clean now.

If it's true his dad is a (cult leader/AAU dad) that runs his life Lonzo Ball style, I can see how you would drop him. Wasn't your philosophy, raw with a great attitude is a prospect. raw with a lousy attitude is a problem?

Unless Ray's way more plugged in than the rest of us, we have to judge the person based on media appearances, and while EQ's certainly weren't encouraging, that's also a tough way to judge a guy. Plenty of people don't interview well in front of a camera. 

That said, I think he clearly lacked physicality, especially with dealing with the press. Meeks messed him up with some frequency against Stanford. 

I should clear that up a little more. I would cross out the rookies/1st year players in the room and tell them to make it work. Adams and Allison are both chill off the field also and Davis is a damn cupcake. Cobb is a damn pitbull that can't turn it off though. Something tells me those two will bump heads once or twice behind closed doors this year. 

LIS, I probably would have taken a longer look at EQ with room Green Bay has in place. The turnover will help EQ a great deal in that regard. 

9 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

I should clear that up a little more. I would cross out the rookies/1st year players in the room and tell them to make it work. Adams and Allison are both chill off the field also and Davis is a damn cupcake. Cobb is a damn pitbull that can't turn it off though. Something tells me those two will bump heads once or twice behind closed doors this year. 

LIS, I probably would have taken a longer look at EQ with room Green Bay has in place. The turnover will help EQ a great deal in that regard. 

Makes sense, and good insight, really appreciate. 

Now don't get fired, but can you tell us what the conversation was like with J'Mon Moore? Extremely interested how that conversation went down. 

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I thank that's how pretty much everybody saw him. Big, athletic, boundary receiver who needs to figure out the position, because it sure as hell isn't clean now.

If it's true his dad is a (cult leader/AAU dad) that runs his life Lonzo Ball style, I can see how you would drop him. Wasn't your philosophy, raw with a great attitude is a prospect. raw with a lousy attitude is a problem?

Unless Ray's way more plugged in than the rest of us, we have to judge the person based on media appearances, and while EQ's certainly weren't encouraging, that's also a tough way to judge a guy. Plenty of people don't interview well in front of a camera. 

That said, I think he clearly lacked physicality, especially with dealing with the press. Meeks messed him up with some frequency against Stanford. 

I could care less about the dad thing. I'm a bit of a gym rat myself and found that part entertaining. EQ is a VERY outside the box thinker that rubs many the wrong way. That can work in college when your the stud. Not so much at the pro level though. 

Odd stuff too. He refused to use certain blocking techniques, wouldn't stretch with the team before games because of a personal belief about stretching, etc...

My point is this, go ahead and get Williams killed in the backfield because you refuse to block and see what happens when they do the film read.

.....and that's only one example. 

1 minute ago, palmy50 said:

I could care less about the dad thing. I'm a bit of a gym rat myself and found that part entertaining. EQ is a VERY outside the box thinker that rubs many the wrong way. That can work in college when your the stud. Not so much at the pro level though. 

Odd stuff too. He refused to use certain blocking techniques, wouldn't stretch with the team before games because of a personal belief about stretching, etc...

My point is this, go ahead and get Williams killed in the backfield because you refuse to block and see what happens when they do the film read.

.....and that's only one example. 

I was under the impression what you were describing was the "dad thing". That it was his dad telling him not to block certain ways because it was more likely to get him hurt, that it was his dad who formed his beliefs about stretching and encouraged him to hold firm on them. Some of what I read on him coming out was that the staff was basically clashing with him because he kept listening to his dad over the staff.

I don't know if I'm relieved that he's just a weird dude on his own, or discouraged. 

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I was under the impression what you were describing was the "dad thing". That it was his dad telling him not to block certain ways because it was more likely to get him hurt, that it was his dad who formed his beliefs about stretching and encouraged him to hold firm on them. Some of what I read on him coming out was that the staff was basically clashing with him because he kept listening to his dad over the staff.

I don't know if I'm relieved that he's just a weird dude on his own, or discouraged. 

.....I just don't care how he got there. I just know it won't work if something doesn't change. 

1 hour ago, palmy50 said:

Appreciate the thoughts on him above. I was a big fan in the draft process, gave him a day 2 grade. I liked his ability both deep and underneath and he seems extremely fluid and loose for a tall receiver. Javon Walker was my comp although I think he can be a little more multi dimensional.

Archived