Harrison Smith/Xavier Rhodes vs Janoris Jenkins/Landon Collins

TENINCH

The only problem with Rhodes is that he constantly gets dinged up. If he could stay fully healthy for a full season, he might be the best CB in the league.

and I'm not taking any safety over Harrison Smith. Dude is amazing everywhere.

Vikings duo over Giants. Collins/Jenkins are probably top 5 though!

Statistically, Rhodes may not be a top3/5 corner. He plays press, yet loses on too many slant routes. He also can get beat deep once in a while (not often, but more than you’d like from a player you want to designate as elite). I haven’t followed Jenkins’ career, but he may have better stats than Rhodes. Regardless I will take Rhodes. He shines where the stats won’t show. There’s not a single more intimidating or stronger corner than he. It allows him to match up favorably with hws receivers like Julio and shut them down. And he’s the best CB at tackling. I like how one announcer put it (more or less as this, going off of memory), “Once Rhodes gets his hands on you as a ball carrier, the play is over. Right there. He drops you like a rock.” 

I will also take Smith over Collins. Collins had a great year in ‘16, but Smith has been at least great since entering the league. His strengths may not be as high as Collins’ (notably their playmaking ability), but Smith literally has no weaknesses or bad games. He’s as great and as dependable as any safety in the league.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:57 AM, SteelKing728 said:

The only problem with Rhodes is that he constantly gets dinged up. If he could stay fully healthy for a full season, he might be the best CB in the league.

and I'm not taking any safety over Harrison Smith. Dude is amazing everywhere.

Vikings duo over Giants. Collins/Jenkins are probably top 5 though!

He's only missed 2 games in the past 4 seasons. He comes out for a few plays during a game but **knocks on wood** hasnt missed any games.

On 5/6/2018 at 10:35 PM, w4rrior723 said:

But to say it's "easily" one over the other is a joke.

What number is bigger: 9 or 10? Easily, definitively 10, right? Doesn’t mean the gap is huge, but it’s clear. Which this is. 

Harrison Smith is the best and most consistent safety in the league and Rhodes is a top 5 corner. Jenkins has been an up and down corner for his entire career and Collins - whose a stud - has really only been on Harrison’s level for one season. 

Even if you wanted to say Jenkins/Collins are better because they had better seasons in 2016 - what makes 2016 more worthwhile than 2017? What makes one single season more worthwhile than consistent play over years? 

You mentioned in your post that the 2017 iteration of the Giants duo was worn down due to offensive ineptitude, fine. But then you bring up how the Vikings duo was unranked by PFF in 2016 - did you forget how that season went with Captain Checkdown? 28th in yards, 25th in first downs, 18th in passing yards, 22nd in passing TDs, 32nd in rushing yards, 28th in rush TDs, 22nd in sacks allowed. Being on a bad team isn’t an excuse to dog it or call out team mates. 

The answer here is Rhodes/Smith. It changes a bit if the question becomes who would you rather have, just because Collins is a fair bit younger than the rest (just turned 24, Rhodes turning 28 this year, Jenkins turning 30, Smith turned 29).

Archived