Financial Experts say...

Mox

33 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I have a family member who had a PM company charge 8.3% annually, one month's rent; 30% hardly seems like it would be viable at any level.

Sorry, i didn't explain that well.  What i meant was that if you get a steal up front, then you're not making 10% on rent, but 30%.  If a rental agency takes 10%, you're still making 20%.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Sorry, i didn't explain that well.  What i meant was that if you get a steal up front, then you're not making 10% on rent, but 30%.  If a rental agency takes 10%, you're still making 20%.

Okay, that makes sense, and it fits perfectly with the example I posted, his mortgage is $650 monthly and he's renting it for $1,100, now of course that's after like a decade and a half of mortgage payments. The margins were undoubtedly not as good when he first purchased the house.

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I agree. I'm not...yet. But like a retirement account, it IS an investment that down the road I think will payoff. Like I said, after a couple years of it getting paid down, and a refi that benefits me, it could turn into a monthly cash pull. That's what I am hoping at least. Got to start somewhere.

If you still have it mortgaged, then yeah it's tough at the beginning.  The two things that turn a single rental into a cash cow are: 1) getting a steal up front on the purchase and 2) not having a mortgage.

If you owe the bank 4-5% monthly, that could be half your profit.

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I agree. I'm not...yet. But like a retirement account, it IS an investment that down the road I think will payoff. Like I said, after a couple years of it getting paid down, and a refi that benefits me, it could turn into a monthly cash pull. That's what I am hoping at least. Got to start somewhere.

If you still have it mortgaged, then yeah it's tough at the beginning.  The two things that turn a single rental into a cash cow are: 1) getting a steal up front on the purchase and 2) not having a mortgage.

If you owe the bank 4-5% monthly, that could be half your profit.

52 minutes ago, theJ said:

The only way to make this workable is if you get a steal on the upfront purchase.  Then your 10% is 30% and you can afford the rental agency.  But that takes experience in the industry, and patience.

This is why I'm more of a fan of mutual funds as investments for most people. If you have a $5M nest egg and have the capacity to diversify across a lot of different units, then I think real estate makes a lot of sense.

Average Joe with a rental is putting a lot of risk on that one unit.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is why I'm more of a fan of mutual funds as investments for most people. If you have a $5M nest egg and have the capacity to diversify across a lot of different units, then I think real estate makes a lot of sense.

Average Joe with a rental is putting a lot of risk on that one unit.

That's very true.  Someone with a few hundred thousand in his retirement and a rental has a big chunk of his portfolio in one asset.  That's dangerous.

Archived