Alex Smith had the highest completion % on play-action passes in 2017

turtle28

7 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I had not seen this till now, and thought at least a few of you out there might appreciate it. 

Love it! Great support for Alex from Aaron Rodgers.

I’m still bitter that Joe Gibbs passed on Aaron Rodgers and took Carlos Rogers with the 9th overall pick in the 05 draft.  I don’t think I’ll ever get over that.

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m still bitter that Joe Gibbs passed on Aaron Rodgers and took Carlos Rogers with the 9th overall pick in the 05 draft.  I don’t think I’ll ever get over that.

ouch. So very understandably. 

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He was never going to take Aaron Rodgers anyway. Their hearts were dead set on Campbell. 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He was never going to take Aaron Rodgers anyway. Their hearts were dead set on Campbell. 

I know that but it still doesn’t change my point that it still pisses me off and this franchise really missed a chance to have a top 5 qb in the NFL for the last 13 years from 06-now. How many games have we lost - especially when our D was good to great in 07-09 and 2011 - because the QB and passing game couldn’t get the job done? Seems like 3 to 5 games in each of those seasons.

“The Chiefs are a mess and Alex Smith is the messiest part”

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article186621438.html

“Pro-Smith myths found to be untrue

1) Smith wasn't under duress nearly often enough to say he "never had protection." He absolutely did, plenty of times every game. More than enough to make plays.

2) Smith did at times struggle with inaccuracy, despite sticking with mostly shorter throws. He was a part of killing drives, in large part due to his tendency to miss when trying to put the ball away from a defender.

3) Smith definitely suffers from happy feet, and it ain't all on his OL. He gets twitchy and takes off instead of moving around the pocket with his eyes down the field. This is probably his biggest weakness as a QB,”

https:www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2015/2/10/7928529/alex-smith-pass-2014-kansas-city-chiefs-season

you may have heard the Chiefs didn't have a touchdown pass to a WR all season long”

https:www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2015/2/10/7928529/alex-smith-pass-2014-kansas-city-chiefs-season

106045122_c995cc13.gif

Lastly this is a comical one but warning it has some potentially offensive language 

i think Smith can be a good game manager quarterback for us, a Plus rated John Beck 2.0 but to utter that a guy who has thrown for over 20 TD’S only once in his 13 seasons with a career rating of 87 is the same or better than Cousins was for the Redskins is delusional or said more nicely nothing more than Rainbows, Butterflies and Unicorns. Smith is not a game winner. Any improvement for the team now that Guice is gone must come from the defense this season and the offense has to try to not to stink too much. We are doing the right thing building a strong DL but debating who’s responsible for playoff losses ( Reid or Smith) is pointless this year. 

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If Rodgers had came here he wouldn't have been the same Aaron Rodgers that he is now.  He wouldn't have reached his full potential playing here like has in Green Bay.  The Skins haven't shown the ability to develop a quarterback.

And since this thread is about Alex Smith thought I would post this breakdown of how he fits into Gruden's offense.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nfl/2018/08/10/washington-redskins-2018-preview-schedule-roster

11 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article186621438.html

1) Smith wasn't under duress nearly often enough to say he "never had protection." He absolutely did, plenty of times every game. More than enough to make plays.

2) Smith did at times struggle with inaccuracy, despite sticking with mostly shorter throws. He was a part of killing drives, in large part due to his tendency to miss when trying to put the ball away from a defender.

3) Smith definitely suffers from happy feet, and it ain't all on his OL. He gets twitchy and takes off instead of moving around the pocket with his eyes down the field. This is probably his biggest weakness as a QB,”

you may have heard the Chiefs didn't have a touchdown pass to a WR all season long”

106045122_c995cc13.gif

Lastly this is a comical one but warning it has some potentially offensive language 

i think Smith can be a good game manager quarterback for us, a Plus rated John Beck 2.0 but to utter that a guy who has thrown for over 20 TD’S only once in his 13 seasons with a career rating of 87 is the same or better than Cousins was for the Redskins is delusional or said more nicely nothing more than Rainbows, Butterflies and Unicorns. Smith is not a game winner. Any improvement for the team now that Guice is gone must come from the defense this season and the offense has to try to not to stink too much. We are doing the right thing building a strong DL but debating who’s responsible for playoff losses ( Reid or Smith) is pointless this year. 

Good read.

Well, let's hope that many of us were/are wrong about him. 

11 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

106045122_c995cc13.gif

The guy has been dumped by two organizations because they didn’t believe he could win a Super Bowl for them.  That is all the evidence I need.

50 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The guy has been dumped by two organizations because they didn’t believe he could win a Super Bowl for them.  That is all the evidence I need.

In a world where Nick Foles (dumped by 3 organizations) and Case Keenum (dumped 4x, by 2 organizations) just played for the NFC Championship? Where Keenum beat Drew Brees (also dumped by an organization, incidentally) to get to the doorstep and Foles went on to outduel Tom Brady for a ring and an MVP trophy? Where our HC’s brother, running largely the same offense, turned Rich Gannon (dumped by 3 organizations) into the best QB in the league and won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson (dumped by 2 organizations)?

I need a little more evidence than that, personally. 

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

In a world where Nick Foles (dumped by 3 organizations) and Case Keenum (dumped 4x, by 2 organizations) just played for the NFC Championship? Where Keenum beat Drew Brees (also dumped by an organization, incidentally) to get to the doorstep and Foles went on to outduel Tom Brady for a ring and an MVP trophy? Where our HC’s brother, running largely the same offense, turned Rich Gannon (dumped by 3 organizations) into the best QB in the league and won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson (dumped by 2 organizations)?

I need a little more evidence than that, personally. 

Did the Eagles trade a 3rd and starting CB on a rookie contract for Foles and then pay him $90 Mil?

The thing with Smith is pretty simple: if you think he found something last year that clicked (mentally or physically, whichever) and will allow him to be successful as a more aggressive downfield thrower moving forward, then you think he can be a star with us like he was last year for the Chiefs. If you think last year was a fluke, just a Tyreek Hill inspired fever dream for Smith, then you probably expect him to revert to just managing the game. 

I’m not sure that’s such a bad thing — getting the ball out quickly, not turning the ball over, and effectively managing the run game are things we haven’t really seen here since RGIII’s rookie season. It wouldn’t be as explosive, but it might be more effective in terms of winning games. 

I’m not ready to rule out the possibility that his 2017 season and the more aggressive playing style will carry over to this team. Would have loved to have Guice to take some of the pressure off, but I think the running game can be reasonably effective if the OL stays healthy. And I think very highly of Gruden as an offensive coach and QB teacher (particularly in the way he thinks the game like a QB in calling the plays), so I think Alex is in a solid position to succeed here. 

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The thing with Smith is pretty simple: if you think he found something last year that clicked (mentally or physically, whichever) and will allow him to be successful as a more aggressive downfield thrower moving forward, then you think he can be a star with us like he was last year for the Chiefs. If you think last year was a fluke, just a Tyreek Hill inspired fever dream for Smith, then you probably expect him to revert to just managing the game. 

I’m not sure that’s such a bad thing — getting the ball out quickly, not turning the ball over, and effectively managing the run game are things we haven’t really seen here since RGIII’s rookie season. It wouldn’t be as explosive, but it might be more effective in terms of winning games. 

I’m not ready to rule out the possibility that his 2017 season and the more aggressive playing style will carry over to this team. Would have loved to have Guice to take some of the pressure off, but I think the running game can be reasonably effective if the OL stays healthy. And I think very highly of Gruden as an offensive coach and QB teacher (particularly in the way he thinks the game like a QB in calling the plays), so I think Alex is in a solid position to succeed here. 

I could easily argue we could of drafted a game manager type rookie QB.  My issue isn’t with Alex Smith specifically, it’s with the cost we paid to acquire him, the opportunity cost of losing the homegrown QB we already had, and the ridiculous contract extension they paid Smith once we acquired him.  Heck, if we wanted a game manager would could of traded for Tyrod Taylor just a 3rd and kept Fuller, then pay him A LOT less money.  Plus Taylor is younger and arguably has more upside with his age.  

2 hours ago, FosterTheSkins said:

If Rodgers had came here he wouldn't have been the same Aaron Rodgers that he is now.  He wouldn't have reached his full potential playing here like has in Green Bay.  The Skins haven't shown the ability to develop a quarterback.

And since this thread is about Alex Smith thought I would post this breakdown of how he fits into Gruden's offense.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nfl/2018/08/10/washington-redskins-2018-preview-schedule-roster

I don’t believe that for one second, unless you’re going to tell me that Joe Gibbs can’t develop QBs or that Aaron Rodgers wasn’t going to work as hard as he did during his packers career if he was on the Tedskins, neither of which I believe is true. Rodgers is a hard worker and a perfectionist, he was going to be successful and turn around the franchise no matter who drafted him.

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I could easily argue we could of drafted a game manager type rookie QB.  My issue isn’t with Alex Smith specifically, it’s with the cost we paid to acquire him, the opportunity cost of losing the homegrown QB we already had, and the ridiculous contract extension they paid Smith once we acquired him.  Heck, if we wanted a game manager would could of traded for Tyrod Taylor just a 3rd and kept Fuller, then pay him A LOT less money.  Plus Taylor is younger and arguably has more upside with his age.  

I guess we’ll have to see what happens because we all know that over the course of their careers, Smith has been more successful, especially last year.

Also, the trade is done, Alex is here, I don’t know this is still something that is complained about at this point. Now, if Alex goes out there and doesn’t play wel this year, then I’d say it’s fair game to complain about the trade and the move but st this point we just don’t know either way if the trade was the right move or the wrong move.  

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

You’re ignoring the reasons why those organizations moved on and that the 49ers got worse a few years after they traded Alex away and that the Chiefs immediately got better when they acquired Alex Smith.

Thats the evidence you should want to know if you want to see Alex Smith success and to see the Redskins succeed with Alex as QB. 

Now, if you’re more concerned with just being right all the time and don’t care whether Alex succeeds and actually hope that he doesn’t, I guess you’d take the positon you are taking.

Archived