Our Offense got a lot faster this off season.

Sounds good; @Woz ... you win. As a mod, you will always win.

My intention is never to create conflict. I'm just trying to continue on with my optimism and excitement for Redskins' football.. and that's challenging with the current mood here. I know... I know.. don't like it, leave it.. but I do like FF, and it just makes me sad and disappointed. Some long-time Redskins' fans here feel as I do.. so it's more than just "the new guy that doesn't know our pain."

Will try to leave this alone yet again. WE are on the same side here, assuming you want Redskins' success. 

Just do 1 small thing for me. As we go, when and if I am no longer welcome here or on the verge of removal? Just let me know first, and gone, I'll be. I don't want to lose out on the 49ers' subforum, among others. I hope that's not asking too much. c0416.gif

Just now, oldman9er said:

Sounds good; @Woz ... you win. As a mod, you will always win.

The martyr look is never a good look.

For the record, if it has nothing to do with the rules, I'm just a guy with an opinion. The fact that I'm a moderator is generally irrelevant.

My intention is never to create conflict. I'm just trying to continue on with my optimism and excitement for Redskins' football.. and that's challenging with the current mood here. I know... I know.. don't like it, leave it.. but I do like FF, and it just makes me sad and disappointed. Some long-time Redskins' fans here feel as I do.. so it's more than just "the new guy that doesn't know our pain."

I never said "get out." I tried to explain why what you were seeing could be happening. Is it fair to Smith? No. But it is what it is.

I do appreciate the optimistic views. I just get tired of being told that when I have a less than rosy outlook on the team's decisions that I'm somehow deficient as a fan of this franchise or that the optimists are somehow an aggrieved minority that is abused horridly. If you want to take the sunny view, please do. Just don't wrap yourself in the flag when others disagree with you. For the record, this statement is not just targeted at you. There are others who I wish would read it.

As we go, when and if I am no longer welcome here or on the verge of removal? Just let me know first, and gone, I'll be. I don't want to lose out on the 49ers' subforum, among others. I hope that's not asking too much.

You have done nothing to violate the rules. You've been a bit of a pill from time to time, but hey, we put up with @turtle28, so what's one more? :D:D:D

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

The martyr look is never a good look.

For the record, if it has nothing to do with the rules, I'm just a guy with an opinion. The fact that I'm a moderator is generally irrelevant.

I never said "get out." I tried to explain why what you were seeing could be happening. Is it fair to Smith? No. But it is what it is.

I do appreciate the optimistic views. I just get tired of being told that when I have a less than rosy outlook on the team's decisions that I'm somehow deficient as a fan of this franchise or that the optimists are somehow an aggrieved minority that is abused horridly. If you want to take the sunny view, please do. Just don't wrap yourself in the flag when others disagree with you. For the record, this statement is not just targeted at you. There are others who I wish would read it.

You have done nothing to violate the rules. You've been a bit of a pill from time to time, but hey, we put up with @turtle28, so what's one more? :D:D:D

It I wasn’t here it’d just be a *itch fest for middle aged men 24-7. ? xD

I hope @oldman9er sticks around because I need a deputy! 

Just now, turtle28 said:

It I wasn’t here it’d just be a *itch fest for middle aged men 24-7. ? xD

I hope @oldman9er sticks around because I need a deputy! 

True true.

As I said previously though, don't get upset when acting as the lightning rod, you get struck multiple times.

13 hours ago, e16bball said:

And I guess to piggyback on my prior post, I really do see why some folks get frustrated with trying to post stuff here. Even on things that are glaringly, stupefyingly obvious, it’s a fight to get folks to concede anything that could be construed as a positive comment about the team or its direction. 

How is the statement that the offense has gotten faster from what we put on the field last season possibly something to push back so adamantly on? Replace Perine/Kelley with Derrius Guice. Replace Ryan Grant with Paul Richardson. Replace Cousins with Alex Smith. Potentially replace one of the big-bodied #5/#6 WRs with Trey Quinn. Hopefully replace 3/4 of a season of Niles Paul with Jordan Reed and 1/2 a season of not-Chris-Thompson with actual Chris Thompson. Hopefully replace injured Trent and injured Moses with healthy Trent and healthy Moses. 

That’s 8 spots at which we’ve got some hope to be at least marginally faster. You can agree that, with any luck, the offense will hopefully have more speed. It won’t kill you. It doesn’t mean you like the Redskins again or think they’re smart or believe they will be any good. It just means that you can objectively recognize that in this one narrow facet (speed) of this one isolated side of the ball (offense), they may have moved in a positive direction this offseason. 

As the founding member of the Redskins Curmudgeon Society, I tend to agree with you here E. I do think we've gotten faster as a whole on the offensive side of the ball. 

Also, as you know, until TC starts and Week 1 starts, we've got nothing else better to do than be critical of every move the team makes. Its kinda in our DNA at this point given that Snyderskins have given us 20 years of mediocre-to-poor teams and same level of effort in the front office.

I agree with @Woz here. Aside from the Smith trade, the team has had a good 2018 offseason with Free Agency and the draft. Not perfect, given that the LG position is a huge hole, but good.

4 hours ago, Woz said:

True true.

As I said previously though, don't get upset when acting as the lightning rod, you get struck multiple times.

Oh, that happened to me quite a few times when I first joined, didn't it @Woz??? SuperSkinFan (RIP) and I used to go round and round.

Let me also piggyback on my post and say that for quite a lot of us curmudgeons, we will be rooting for EVERY player to do well on the team when it comes game time. We will be critical and heap praise on them when we need to, but when the action is happening, I don't care who is throwing the ball to get us a TD. I just want the TD

10 hours ago, Slateman said:

Probably was last year

I don’t know why you would even suggest that Eric Fisher is ever as good as Trent. That’s an unbelievably outlandish comment. Eric Fisher is in the bottom 1/2 of starting LTs in the NFL and he was drafted 1st overall.  

40 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

As the founding member of the Redskins Curmudgeon Society, I tend to agree with you here E. I do think we've gotten faster as a whole on the offensive side of the ball. 

Also, as you know, until TC starts and Week 1 starts, we've got nothing else better to do than be critical of every move the team makes. Its kinda in our DNA at this point given that Snyderskins have given us 20 years of mediocre-to-poor teams and same level of effort in the front office.

I agree with @Woz here. Aside from the Smith trade, the team has had a good 2018 offseason with Free Agency and the draft. Not perfect, given that the LG position is a huge hole, but good.

I get the worry that the A.Smith trade may be another disasterous trade for us, but I just don’t know the horse has to be beaten with the stick in every thread. It’s incredibly frustrating to not be able to say one good word about our new starting qb without getting chastised for it from 1/2 of the forum. I just don’t understand why every thread has to become a “the Alex Smith trade WILL DEFINITELY BE A DISASTER” thread.

We get it, some of you guys think this is going to be McNabb 2.0 but I don’t think the comparison fits. Alex is in better shape, he is coming from a similar offense and coming onto a team with a lot more talent on than the 2010 Shanahan team had.

I think if the hateerade for Alex Smith could be lightened up until it’s proven - if it ever is - that he’s not working out, the this would be a better place.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I get the worry that the A.Smith trade may be another disasterous trade for us, but I just don’t know the horse has to be beaten with the stick in every thread. It’s incredibly frustrating to not be able to say one good word about our new starting qb without getting chastised for it from 1/2 of the forum. I just don’t understand why every thread has to become a “the Alex Smith trade WILL DEFINITELY BE A DISASTER” thread.

We get it, some of you guys think this is going to be McNabb 2.0 but I don’t think the comparison fits. Alex is in better shape, he is coming from a similar offense and coming onto a team with a lot more talent on than the 2010 Shanahan team had.

I think if the hateerade for Alex Smith could be lightened up until it’s proven - if it ever is - that he’s not working out, the this would be a better place.

This reeks of irony tbh haha

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

This reeks of irony tbh haha

You know. All I’m trying to say if we can all do better and trying to find a truce here. I can’t stand these damn responses to be honest! And frankly, this keeps some people away who actually want to talk positively about the team. 

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know why you would even suggest that Eric Fisher is ever as good as Trent. That’s an unbelievably outlandish comment. Eric Fisher is in the bottom 1/2 of starting LTs in the NFL and he was drafted 1st overall.  

Well for one, he actually played the entire season. Second, as you pointed out, their offensive line was better at pass blocking last season.

So again, in a season when he had a better offensive line, better receivers who got open more and by more space, and the best running game in the NFL, Alex Smith was marginally better at eluding the pass rush.

15 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Oh, that happened to me quite a few times when I first joined, didn't it @Woz??? SuperSkinFan (RIP) and I used to go round and round.

And it was entertaining to watch. :)

15 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

On the whole, I think this has been a good to very good offseason for the Redskins.

The things that I have had problems with in descending order (yes, in part informed by 20/20 hindsight, though I objected to all three when they occurred):

1. Not addressing the left guard situation. At all. No, I don't think bringing back Shawn Lauvao counts.
  2. The trade for Alex Smith, not the player himself.
  3. Offering Alex Smith a contract that they never offered Kirk Cousins.
  4. Signing Orlando Scandrick to 2y/$7M deal (hoping that Greg Stroman or someone else takes his job, even if it means eating $1M in dead cap)
  5. Passing on the trade with New Orleans and pocketing a 2019 1st round pick. Yes, I still like the Payne pick, but getting more draft value is always good.

Note that letting Cousins walk isn't on that list because I assumed that was going to happen after they didn't offer him a market deal last summer.

Things I liked, again with some 20/20 hindsight

1. Being patient and letting Guice fall to them at the bottom of the second. The draft as a whole was pretty solid (only complaints on their selections could be Geron Christian and Troy Apke, but I'm not too upset about those)
  2. Extending Zach Brown (but I was angry that it took them that long to do it)
  3. Letting our free agents walk en masse (yeah, I was complaining at first, but then talking about with turtle and others, I realized I didn't really want any of them back; yes, I do listen)
  4. Cutting Terrell McClain <<insert "Bye Felicia" GIF of your choice here>>
  5. Getting anything in exchange for Su'a Cravens; what they ended up getting was a somewhat impressive haul
  6. Exercising Scherff's 5th year option (I complained a bit that they waited, but looking at what other teams did running up against the deadline, that was a misread by me)
  7. Signing Paul Richardson (yes, I was on board with this signing before free agency and when it happened); not as much a fan of the contract he got, but it was what the market rate was so I'm not going to complain too much
  8. Signing Pernell McPhee for cheap 1 yr, $1.8M; yeah, I'm not expecting much, but it's a reasonable "take a chance on a guy" contract
  9. Extending DeShazor Everett for cheap (2 yr, $2.6M)

Things I'm a bit meh about

• Giving Dustin Hopkins a 3y, $7.45M contract; like him as a kicker but not sure I like him at that price
    • Side note: if they do away with the kickoff in a year or two like it looks like they are working towards, this contract is going to look worse
  • Trading for Kevin Hogan; yeah, they just slid down the 6th round for him <<insert Van Wilder "But Why?" GIF here>>
  • Signing Lauvao again ... oy ... I guess that's what they have to do when they don't address the position ... 1y, $1.5M for this guy ... sigh
  • Re-signing Brian Quick; don't put down any money on an apartment lease, much less a house
  • Re-signing Phil Taylor; hey, it was vet minimum, but the guy hasn't played a down in three years ... if he sees a single snap for the Redskins, it would be surprising

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

One more time :D : if you want to be a lightning rod, don't get upset if you get struck.

Archived