Jimmy Graham and Tight End Alignment

AlexGreen#20

6 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

Also I'd love to see your stats on the 1 year difference between WR and RB decline as opposed to the 5 that that article mentions. If you have them handy and started using stats instead of hunches.

You're using an article that mentions 35 when not a single WR in the NFL is currently 35, meaning none of the current crop has made it to 35. That's the very definition of outdated. My number would be 32.

All of this is irrelevant anyway, we're talking about Jordy here and the decline of his last year. We're blaming our backup QB for a lot more than he was actually responsible for.

15 hours ago, SSG said:

If it proves to be the right decision, and we've got a dominate, top 5 offense, I'll be the first to say it was the correct decision.  Until then though, I'm going to question it as I've got my doubts that we're going to replace Jordy's 90+ catches/ 1200+ yards and 12+ TDs with what we've currently got on the roster.

C'mon man.  Jordy was NOT going to give you that this year.  He didn't come close last year. 

You're living in the past if you think Jordy was going to duplicate his numbers from 2-3 years ago.

Adams might come pretty close to those numbers.

BTW- Sterling Sharpe is available, his last year with #4 was 94- 1110 yds and 18 TDs.O.o

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You're using an article that mentions 35 when not a single WR in the NFL is currently 35, meaning none of the current crop has made it to 35. That's the very definition of outdated. My number would be 32.

Just last year Steve Smith retired at 38 and Roddy White retired at 35. This year was a fluke where no one notable was old and no one notable retired but plenty of WRs are turning 35 this season. Again show some data to support your 32 claim or it's completely worthless.

16 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Just last year Steve Smith retired at 38 and Roddy White retired at 35. This year was a fluke where no one notable was old and no one notable retired but plenty of WRs are turning 35 this season. Again show some data to support your 32 claim or it's completely worthless.

Roddy White's stats from 32-35 were a shell of his former self. If anything he's another to prove my point.

Is this article saying that WRs retire at 35 or show signs of hitting this wall at 35? I can't fathom how any professional media outlet could publish an article saying a skill position player doesn't show signs of age until 35. Retire, well I guess that isn't too outlandish.

On 5/31/2018 at 5:54 PM, SSG said:

It's not spin.  Was it or was it not a mistake not to let Casey Hayward leave for 5 million dollars a year?  Pointing out a mistake isn't putting spin on anything.  I don't understand why some are so scared of accountability.  Its like every move by management is the absolute best one regardless of the outcome.  

Accountability is great. And our FO staff has been largely turned over at the top - in large part because of mistakes like this. 

The thing people fail to account for often, is that unless we're throwing a franchise tag on Hayward, he has the option to decline our offer. We have no idea what we offered, or if we just let him walk. Yes, letting Hayward walk for 5M a year ended up being a mistake. However, if he played a year on a 5M offer in GB and got hurt again (which didn't happen in SD), then we'd have been saying how it was just the same ole Hayward again.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:41 AM, Dubz41 said:

C'mon man.  Jordy was NOT going to give you that this year.  He didn't come close last year. 

You're living in the past if you think Jordy was going to duplicate his numbers from 2-3 years ago.

BTW- Sterling Sharpe is available, his last year with #4 was 94- 1110 yds and 18 TDs.O.o

Jordy didn't come close to his average numbers last year because Hundley was the QB. Whenever Rodgers gets hurt, Jordy disappears. That's ultimately what he was offered a significant pay cut and then when he said "no" he was released. I don't think age has anything to do with this, but production does.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Jordy didn't come close to his average numbers last year because Hundley was the QB. Whenever Rodgers gets hurt, Jordy disappears. That's ultimately what he was offered a significant pay cut and then when he said "no" he was released. I don't think age has anything to do with this, but production does.

This has been my take.  Hundley seemed to me like he was a one read guy, without the ability to progress on to multiple reads.  Adams was his guy, and Adams was the guy he looked for.

I can't put much stock in last year for any of the offense.

I would have kept Nelson, but I can't fault Gute for moving on- with Nelson's age and with he and Cobb coming to the end of deals Gute needs to start getting new guys in there that are capable of playing.  I would think with the number of guys competing for the spot, we should be able to end up with one or two that can play the #3 and #4 WR spots effectively.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:41 AM, Dubz41 said:

Give me a break.  I'm living in the past expecting that Jordy can replicate the production he had just 17 months ago but its perfectly fine to expect great things from Wilkerson and Graham?  Wilkerson has looked like garbage for the last 2 seasons.  Graham was a hobbled mess completely incapable of getting any sort of separation last year.  He's also turning that magic age of 32 in a couple months, the age where you supposedly lose everything.  

Hard telling what Jordy was or wasn't going to give us this coming year.  While he was leading the team in both yards and TDs per game his catches were certainly down (though he had a really tough match up week 1 and got hurt in week 2).  However, he was unstoppable in the redzone and was on break the GBP single season receiving TD mark.  Fans forget that he started slow in 2016 as well (he had 2 more catches, 14 more yards and 1 fewer TD in his first 4 games of 2016).

Archived