Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

10 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Was hoping to see him at least in one more Grand slam event. 

Same. I was anticipating a Kobe level retirement tour next year to be honest.

He fell behind on paper regarding career totals, but he'll always be in the GOAT conversation for his unmatched dominance from 2004-2007. And his overall extended peak from Wimbledon 2003 to Australian Open 2010 is also unmatched and unreal to consider even compared to Nadal and Novak.

• Like 1

I also still wish the Big 3 had all ended up with the same amount of Slams.  Just a couple points go the other way in these matches and it almost would have been likely:

-Federer beats JMDP in the 2009 US Open Final (lost 2 tiebreaks in the Final)
-Djokovic beats Andy Murray in 2012 US Open Final (lost a tiebreak)
-Federer beats Marin Cilic in 2014 US Open Semifinals (would have no doubt beaten Kei Nishikori in the Final) or Milos Raonic in 2016 Wimbledon Semifinals (He was up 2 sets to 0 against him and he at least would have had a shot against Andy Murray in the Final)
-Federer converts 1 of his match points against Djokovic in 2019 Wimbledon Final

That would currently make it:
Federer: 23
Nadal: 22
Djokovic: 21

-Give Nadal next year's French Open and he finishes at 23
-Give Djokovic next year's Wimbledon and 1 more Australian Open and he finishes at 23

Would have been almost poetic.

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I also still wish the Big 3 had all ended up with the same amount of Slams.  Just a couple points go the other way in these matches and it almost would have been likely:

-Federer beats JMDP in the 2009 US Open Final (lost 2 tiebreaks in the Final)
-Djokovic beats Andy Murray in 2012 US Open Final (lost a tiebreak)
-Federer beats Marin Cilic in 2014 US Open Semifinals (would have no doubt beaten Kei Nishikori in the Final) or Milos Raonic in 2016 Wimbledon Semifinals (He was up 2 sets to 0 against him and he at least would have had a shot against Andy Murray in the Final)
-Federer converts 1 of his match points against Djokovic in 2019 Wimbledon Final

That would currently make it:
Federer: 23
Nadal: 22
Djokovic: 21

-Give Nadal next year's French Open and he finishes at 23
-Give Djokovic next year's Wimbledon and 1 more Australian Open and he finishes at 23

Would have been almost poetic.

It’s crazy that the three greatest players overlapped for the most part.  If one of them didn’t exist we’re talking about two guys with possible 30+ majors.  You can do that hypothetical in a lot of sports but in an individual match sport it’s unparalleled.  

13 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I hope we get a sweet documentary or "30 for 30" about the Big 3 with all of them involved, including Andy and Stan segments.

I'd be all for this. Especially with Stan being that "improbable" player to win multiple slams (damn near a career Grand Slam) in the time of the Big 3.

And I'm with you. No matter how many slams Nadal and Novak end up with, Roger is still, and likely always be, the GOAT for me. The way he dominated from 04-07, I borderline HATED him, he was that dominant. 

• Like 1

A lot of people cite the 2008 match between Federer and Nadal as one of the greatest matches, but that version of Federer was slightly out of his prime. The greatest and highest skill tennis I've ever seen remains Federer in the 2006 Wimbledon final vs Nadal. Perfect, beautiful attacking tennis, the likes of which we will not see again due to changes in how the game is played today. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

It's amazing to think about how much Federer dominated the second best player of his generation, Andy Roddick. Federer was 8-0 against Roddick in Grand Slams, with 4 wins in the Finals and 3 in the semifinals. If not for Federer Roddick would have had at 7-8 Grand Slams. 

I was surprised to look back and see Roddick actually had a winning record against Djokovic.

• 1 month later...