The 2018 MLB Draft Thread

ramssuperbowl99

39 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I have one issue (this is the government teacher in me) with the Heimlich case:

How, legally, does a sealed juvenile record, become public with essentially zero backlash for breaking the law?

He failed to register as a sex offender in Oregon.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He failed to register as a sex offender in Oregon.

Well that was conveniently left out of every single article that I've read. Well done media. So much for investigative and unbiased journalism. I hate 24 hour news outlets.

I wonder if he realizes that he sabotaged himself to a large segment of the population. The people defending him now would have anyway. Whether it is innocence or rehabilitation.

But there is a large segment, like me, that believe once you serve your time you shouldn't be further punished and the idea of not "deserving" something doesn't exist in a merits based job market. But that comes with implied caveats of recognition that what you did was wrong, accepting responsibility and showing remorse, and showing some rehabilitation. Maybe, MAYBE if innocence is steadfastly maintained from the start you can overlook the continued claim of innocence, especially in a he said/she said situation, but any type of faltering like apologizing and then maintaining innocence you lose lose that out. And many people that would be willing to let you move forward with your life are now against you.

He is not only a ton of adjectives not suited for this board, he is also getting horrendous advice (or ignoring it).

ill just say how anyone in teh public can say with any certainty if he did it or not is beyond me. its he said/she said, the idea that he took a plea to make it go away quickly at the age of 15 isnt really that far out of the realm of possibility. I wouldnt want the braves signing him but people (here included for a couple) really need to quit with the condemning and outrage.

3 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

ill just say how anyone in teh public can say with any certainty if he did it or not is beyond me. its he said/she said, the idea that he took a plea to make it go away quickly at the age of 15 isnt really that far out of the realm of possibility. I wouldnt want the braves signing him but people (here included for a couple) really need to quit with the condemning and outrage.

How many 4 and 6 year olds (her ages when the offenses happened) do you know that lie about being touched on (and IN) the private parts? How many 15 year olds do you know would plead guilty to something they didn't do? How many parents do you know that would let their 15 year old plead guilty to it if they didn't do it?

If you're a parent and you let your 15 year old plead guilty to something as serious as molestation in hopes of it "going away quickly" if he didn't do it, you're a terrible parent.

11 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

How many 4 and 6 year olds (her ages when the offenses happened) do you know that lie about being touched on (and IN) the private parts? How many 15 year olds do you know would plead guilty to something they didn't do? How many parents do you know that would let their 15 year old plead guilty to it if they didn't do it?

If you're a parent and you let your 15 year old plead guilty to something as serious as molestation in hopes of it "going away quickly" if he didn't do it, you're a terrible parent.

The irony of that defense is people who are saying he was pressured to plead guilty are ignoring the fact that a judge made sure he was aware that his plea would mean he did what he was charged with and he still said yes. They're simultaneously arguing that he's:

1) More trustworthy than the child who provided intimate details of the abuse and the investigators/child psychologists who undoubtedly vetted that claim
2) A documented liar

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The irony of that defense is people who are saying he was pressured to plead guilty are ignoring the fact that a judge made sure he was aware that his plea would mean he did what he was charged with and he still said yes. They're simultaneously arguing that he's:

1) More trustworthy than the child who provided intimate details of the abuse and the investigators/child psychologists who undoubtedly vetted that claim
2) A documented liar

Exactly.

As a human being, if someone accused me of something as heinous as child molestation, the absolute LAST thing I'm worried about is it "going away quickly." I'm doing everything in my power to prove that I didn't do it. Hell, I'm not pleading guilty to anything I didn't do but that's just me.

Archived