The 2018 MLB Draft Thread

ramssuperbowl99

IT'S TIME BOYS.

Will the Tigers take Mize at 1? Will the Giants take Bart at 2, or go underslot? Will the Braves take yet another Atlanta area kid? Will @Thelonebillsfan, @bkobow05, and myself freak out at whoever our team takes (probably tbh)? Will the Rays and Royals get all of the expensive HS kids (also probably tbh)?

Also rankings: https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx?draft=2018mlb&type=0&pos=all&team=all

Heard from a few different places on Twitter that the Giants have been sending a lot of people to look at Cole Winn.  He could likely be had well under slot so they could over spend with their next couple of picks.

Reds seem to be in on Singer, Madrigal, and India.  I'd rather they go with a HS arm (Stewart or Liberatore) or maybe Kelenic if they think he can stick in CF.  Bad draft to be picking 2-8, good draft to have lots of picks 15-80.

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Heard from a few different places on Twitter that the Giants have been sending a lot of people to look at Cole Winn.  He could likely be had well under slot so they could over spend with their next couple of picks.

Reds seem to be in on Singer, Madrigal, and India.  I'd rather they go with a HS arm (Stewart or Liberatore) or maybe Kelenic if they think he can stick in CF.  Bad draft to be picking 2-8, good draft to have lots of picks 15-80.

Madrigal is the most Reds pick ever. If he's there, I don't buy them going with anyone else.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Madrigal is the most Reds pick ever. If he's there, I don't buy them going with anyone else.

It wouldn't shock me, just not sure if the upside is there.  Seems like a rich man's Jose Peraza.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Per Kiley on the Fangraphs podcast, Connor Scott is going to the Marlins at 13. Pretty much locked in.

Efffff...

That's a solid pick in that range.  I'm a Scott fan.  Promising hit tool, 70 speed, and pretty much a sure bet to stay in CF.  Below average power, but enough pop to keep teams honest.

Draft buzz from Jim Callis:

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-2018-mlb-draft-news-from-callis-mayo/c-277888816

On the night before the Draft, word began to circulate within the industry that for the right price, Murray would agree to focus on baseball after playing football this fall for the Sooners. If true, he could command a bonus of $3 million or more.

Other teams believe that the Reds (whose first two picks are at Nos. 5 and 48) and the Padres (whose top two selections are at Nos. 7 and 38) are the leading contenders to cut a discount deal in the first round so they can splurge on Murray with their second choice. Officials with both Cincinnati and San Diego denied that's the case.

Please God, no.

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That's a solid pick in that range.  I'm a Scott fan.  Promising hit tool, 70 speed, and pretty much a sure bet to stay in CF.  Below average power, but enough pop to keep teams honest.

Reminds me a little bit of Christian Yelich physically.

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Reminds me a little bit of Christian Yelich physically.

Yeah, he's been given the Yelich/Kyle Tucker comps throughout the process.  He's one of the prep players I like the most.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Winn was a guy I heard about for the Giants as well for underslot, but I have heard that they have probably scouted Bart more often than any other team out there. I'm trying to figure out what they are doing...going underslot seems like a weird decision for the Giants to make, but given the state of the farm system, I could see it going either way - taking the best player available in the first, or trying to accumulate just a higher number of plus prospects overall. 

Archived