Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

9 hours ago, YoungJefe said:

How would you feel about the team pursuing DeMarcus Cousins? 

DSJ - Luka - Barnes - Dirk - Cousins probably gets you into the playoffs in the West. 

...so the Pelicans are going to trade Cousins to the Mavericks for...JJ Barea?

9 hours ago, YoungJefe said:

DSJ - Luka - Barnes - Dirk - Cousins probably gets you into the playoffs in the West. 

A Demarcus Cousins with two fully functioning and unblemished achilles tendons, sign me up. Unfortunately though, he has neither of those things. 

2 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

A Demarcus Cousins with two fully functioning and unblemished achilles tendons, sign me up. Unfortunately though, he has neither of those things. 

He's probably their best bet to lure a big name FA. If he can even recover to be a 20/10 guy they'll be in good shape with Luka/DSJ/HB40. 

1 minute ago, YoungJefe said:

He's probably their best bet to lure a big name FA. If he can even recover to be a 20/10 guy they'll be in good shape with Luka/DSJ/HB40. 

I get the logic behind it, but the "if he can recover" part of the equation, based on the history of achilles injuries in the NBA (especially for bigs) is far from a given. 

He's not a sexy name by any means, but Marcus Smart would be a much wiser, and more practical investment, especially given the makeup of the roster, than Boogie. 

24 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

I get the logic behind it, but the "if he can recover" part of the equation, based on the history of achilles injuries in the NBA (especially for bigs) is far from a given. 

He's not a sexy name by any means, but Marcus Smart would be a much wiser, and more practical investment, especially given the makeup of the roster, than Boogie. 

Is it worth investing in Smart when you already have Wes Matthews?

I really hope for Dallas’s sake they don’t max out cousins. They just made a great move trading for doncic don’t mess it up by killing your looker room and cap space for center coming off a torn Achilles. Hell I wouldn’t max him out before the injury. He’s going to ruin them. 

9 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I hope some team gives Aaron Gordon the max and we don’t match. He is a good player but he isn’t worth it. 

Puts the Magic in a tough position. You guys need to hold on to any good young talent so I can't see the Magic just letting Gordon signing elsewhere without matching. 

Cousins will sign a three year Max with an opt out after two seasons wherever he signs. Mavs will likely go after him or throw the max at someone like Capela. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Cousins will sign a three year Max with an opt out after two seasons wherever he signs. Mavs will likely go after him or throw the max at someone like Capela. 

A 2/3 year deal for Cousins would be ideal for Dallas. I've seen some hate in this thread but I actually really like how he fits with the Mavericks. 

37 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Puts the Magic in a tough position. You guys need to hold on to any good young talent so I can't see the Magic just letting Gordon signing elsewhere without matching. 

He’s always injured though and we just drafted Isaac who can play the 3 but is honestly probably a better fit at the 4. I’m on the fence with him. He’s improved every year but not to the point of deserving a max so if we do offer it then we’re paying for his potential and not what he is. It’s just a crap shoot tbh and idk if it’s worth being stuck in another bad contract. I’m fine either way hopefully the FO makes the right decision.

Edit: There’s injury concerns with Isaac too though so who even knows what the right decision is lol

On 6/22/2018 at 8:04 AM, dtait93 said:

Better have a really strong locker room if you add him. Reports were Charlotte got sick of his antics, and I believe it was the same story in Atlanta. Harden had enough of him in Houston and went to the front office to get him off the team, and he couldn’t play with Kobe because he’s a mental midget and isn’t about winning as much as he is clowning. Let’s also not forget that super cringe interview with Stan Van in Orlando where he put his arm around him and pretended like he didn’t know Stan and the rest of the reporters knew he was trying to get him fired. All the meanwhile he is always asking, “ why me?” when teams move on from him. Well Dwight, why would 5 franchises turn on you if you weren’t the issue? He’s basically the TO of the NBA. 

I posted this in the Magic forum, but it’s a shame what could have been. He’s gonna make the hall of fame and he never even took the game seriously. Could have been a top 5 center of all time with a ring. I hope Orlando never retires his jersey.

The rumor mill in Houston was that Howard went to the front office to get rid of Harden, and they laughed at him. He thought he was the #1 guy and couldnt handle that the rockets viewed him as the number 2

11 hours ago, YoungJefe said:

It seems like it should, but who is falling out of the playoffs to make room for them? Houston, Golden State, New Orleans, Utah, OKC, SA, Minnesota, and portland all seem like locks, of course depending on what happens with PG and Leonard. 

The west is so stacked, that its hard to see any new teams getting into the post season. You will have Memphis, which if Gasol/COnley are healthy could make a serious push. 

Not only that but Cousins might be finished with his injury, or at least limited, and Dirk is not a legit starting level player anymore. Plus DSJ is still really young and Luka is a rookie, and European guards are almost never good as rookies. 

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Not only that but Cousins might be finished with his injury, or at least limited, and Dirk is not a legit starting level player anymore. Plus DSJ is still really young and Luka is a rookie, and European guards are almost never good as rookies. 

Assuming that Cousins is healthy, for the first time in his career he'll be surrounded by shooting, have two guards that can score and distribute, and be coached by an elite coach. 

DSJ is coming off of a strong rookie year and should be even better this year, Barnes is a legit 18-20 ppg guy, Luka should be one of if not the best rookies in the league, and Dirk is still a decent player.

Archived