Texans locked up Benardrick McKinney 5 years 50 mil 21 mil grt

49erurtaza

41 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I will always wonder where the Texans would have finished if Watson, Watt, and Mercilus never went down.

Gotta also consider injuries to guys like Kevin Johnson, Will Fuller and Jadevion Clowney - injuries they could play through, but severely hampered their ability. Christian Covington was also lost for the season as well, not as big a loss, but a starter nonetheless.

It's not reasonable to assume they would all be in perfect health for the duration of the season, but if they were just a little bit healthier...

55 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Gotta also consider injuries to guys like Kevin Johnson, Will Fuller and Jadevion Clowney - injuries they could play through, but severely hampered their ability. Christian Covington was also lost for the season as well, not as big a loss, but a starter nonetheless.

It's not reasonable to assume they would all be in perfect health for the duration of the season, but if they were just a little bit healthier...

Those handful of weeks with Watson was a pretty cool stretch. One of my meta hopes is to see them return to that, they were trading haymakers with whomsoever was in front of them. And Watt got me to donate to Harvey relief. Wasn't much, only had 100 bucks at the time, but it was inspiring.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:10 AM, VikeManDan said:

Was hoping he'd have been available when the Vikes picked 2 picks later (Eric Kendricks). Glad he's performed well and earned a nice extension, looks like it worked out for both teams!

funny thing is that I wanted Kendricks round 2.  We needed a cover ILB badly. 

Smart move any time a team takes care of its own (key) players like this well before they hit free agency.

It unquestionably helps to improve morale around the team. Guys can come to work every day with the mindset of "If I work hard and produce on the field, Ill be rewarded". They dont have to be looking over their shoulder. 

McKinney, not ashamed to say, was my hifhest rated ILB in that class. Loved him as a prospect. He, Bobby Wagner, and DeMarcus Lawrence have been my 3 biggest EDGE/ILB man crushes and I wanted the Eagles to draft each one of them at the time of their drafts.

But back to why its so good for team morale....Ill just point anyone to my own team. (Rare time where its not just a homer plug but actually happens to have legitimacy)...The Night King aka Chip Kelly aka SmoothieAHole took over personnel decisions when he blackmailed Lurie (how else did he do what he did?), and proceeded to get rid of a bunch of homegrown players who happened to be very good at the time with Shady, DeSean, letting Maclin walk, etc. Brought in "his guys"....Basically some of the GOATs at their positions tbh imo iyam....Sam Bradford, Kiko Alonso, Byron Maxwell, DeMarco Murray......

Ok so Howie Roseman is absolutely better than your team's GM and IDC if youre a Pats fan. Back to Texans talk.

Kinda weird how Houston seems to either hit home runs in the first two rounds of the draft or just whiff horribly. Every GM makes mistakes. The key is to make less of them than not, and when you hit, HIT. 

10 mil a year for a 25/26 year old player who is already arguably top 5 at his position. Good stuff.

Now just go get DeShaun some OLineman so we can really get the (inevitable) next great QB/team rivalry now that Peyton and Tom is over....

DeShaun Watson and the Texans versus Carson Wentz and the Superbowl 52 Champion Eagles. Gonna be an epic decade

7 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Kinda weird how Houston seems to either hit home runs in the first two rounds of the draft or just whiff horribly. Every GM makes mistakes. The key is to make less of them than not, and when you hit, HIT. 

McKinney is the first 2nd round pick to stick since DeMeco Ryans in 2006, so it's usually only the first round - 2nd round onwards is usually a train wreck for the Texans, and McKinney is a very rare exception to this rule.

Archived