2018 Expansion Draft - Steelers

One Punch Man

Imagine a new team is being ushered into the league. Every team has to pick 5 players from its roster. Designated players will be pooled (32 teams, 5 players each for a total of 160 players) and be made available to the new team via the Expansion Draft. From the total pool (and current list of Free Agents), the new franchise will pick (or “draft”) a full 53-player roster for the 2018-19 season.

Typically, teams offer up players they’re actively looking to get rid of (declining performance, age, salary). 

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

No players set to become free agents.

No players who just spent an entire year on injured reserve.

Only one player with 10 or more years of experience.

That being said... What 5 players would you offer up for the 2018-19 season? Why? 

Just a thought, but you should also add "no rookies" to the list of rules. That way the decisions dont come from a bunch of 6th or 7th round guys or UDFA that wont make a roster. Try to crunch the decisions from teams. 

My 5:

- QB, Landry Jones - 4 guys, 3 hats. And I dont like Jones. To me, Jones doesn't raise the quality of the team if we lose Ben anymore than a rookie or Dobbs would. I would rather keep Dobbs and save some cash. 

- C, Pouncey - I think Ben would lose his mind...but an aging guy who seems to have a viable replacement is a smart move. 

- S, Sean Davis - We have a bunch of guys at the position and while I hope he turns the corner, I wouldn't be super disappointed if he was gone and move on to Edmunds, Allen, Burhe, and even Dangerfield. Just not sure how much drop off their would be at this point. 

- CB, Brian Allen - I like him and I hope he grows, but he is low man on the totem pole of a position with a bunch of young guys in front of him already. Also a name I figure I will get back. 

- ILB, Vince Williams - My curveball. The way they seem to like Tyler Matakevic, the addition of Bostic, and the overall feeling that this position will be a heavy focus next year as well makes me think he is currently replaceable. I like Vinny, but I am not sure how big a drop from him to Tyler we would see. 

Others considered: Gilbert, but I think the lack of an immediate known causes too big an issue at that position. Joe Haden, but without full confidence in Burns and Sutton its too big a risk. Vance McDonalds, but I think his potential in the offense is too great (if healthy). Tyler Matakevic, same reasons at Vince, but just a personal preference. Josh Dobbs, similar to Landry, but I really, really, really, reaaaaaaally hate Landry Jones. 

Edit: Ahhh, I messed up with Jones and Vince Williams. Both on on expiring contracts -- Good news for me, their replacements are in my others considered list. Switch Jones for Dobbs and Williams for Matakevic. The explanations are pretty much the same. 

Vance McDonald TE - He's oft hurt but not on IR.  He's not a huge cap savings, but athletic TE's are becoming a dime a dozen.

Javon Hargrave DT - He's just a scheme mismatch here with us.  He would be better off in a 4-3 where he can be a penetrating DT rather than a run stuffing NT.

Cameron Sutton CB - I see him struggling to pick up an outside CB slot, and Mike Hilton will be picking up the slot position for now.

James Conner RB - I'm not really seeing him as a long term RB replacement, and we can always find a RB anywhere along the line.

Roosevelt Nix FB - He's a good special teams player, and he can fill in well as an extra blocker.  Really adding him because I'm tapped out in who I'm willing to offer.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Vance McDonald TE - He's oft hurt but not on IR.  He's not a huge cap savings, but athletic TE's are becoming a dime a dozen.

Javon Hargrave DT - He's just a scheme mismatch here with us.  He would be better off in a 4-3 where he can be a penetrating DT rather than a run stuffing NT.

Cameron Sutton CB - I see him struggling to pick up an outside CB slot, and Mike Hilton will be picking up the slot position for now.

James Conner RB - I'm not really seeing him as a long term RB replacement, and we can always find a RB anywhere along the line.

Roosevelt Nix FB - He's a good special teams player, and he can fill in well as an extra blocker.  Really adding him because I'm tapped out in who I'm willing to offer.

Man, I really would dislike this list. 

Sutton showed well last year and is next guy up right now, who might push to start against Burns. On top of that it would benefit us greatly if he steps into Haden's $10M shoes next year. Losing him means next guy up is...Sensebaugh. Yuck. 

Hargrave is a personal preference, but i like him in this world of sub defenses. The position is never going back to the Hampton days, and the drop from him to the next guy on the roster is too drastic IMO.

McDonalds another personal preference. If healthy, I think he has a chance for a big year. I just don't think his replacement, Grimble, has any hope of a the same year. Again the drop is too severe for me. Athletic TEs might be a dime a dozen, but there isn't a long list of actual quality ones. 

Conner, meh you could talk me into it and I don't know I could make a true argument for keeping the fullback, by everything Rosie does, he does so well. Would hate to lose that. 

I might be taking the timeline of this happening right now too literally though when free agency is dried up, cash savings don't matter much, and there is no draft coming up to replenish positions again. if you asked this question in March, I probably feel differently.  

Not to nitpick because this is an interesting topic but this seems pretty easy. Unless I'm not understanding the rules, just pick your 5 worst players that fit the designations. The way the Expansion Draft works, teams have to protect the players they want to keep (1st and 2nd year players can't be drafted) leaving everyone else fair game. I don't recall what the number of protections a team has (it's more then 5) but this makes the decisions more difficult. But if I had to choose 5 to protect it would be AB, Heyward, Decastro, Tuitt and Villy. Never mind. That was actually pretty easy. :$

OP has the expansion draft correct - picking 5 players to subject to draft and the rules - at least according to the last NFL expansion. The only rule I would add as I mentioned above is elimination rookies from consideration since a real expansion draft would happen before the draft. 

Pouncey is extremely overrated, but after Mahan and Hartwig were, Id be worried about getting rid of him right now.

And Im sorry @warfelg, but thats a terrible list.   I usually agree with alot of your assessments, but I dont get why you would choose 4 guys on rookie contracts, most (or all) of which have upside.    No idea why you would put them on the block instead of truly expendable guys with no real upside like Landry Jones, DHB, Daniel McCullers. Anthony Chickillo or Coty Sensabaugh.

My "shocking" one would be Ramon Foster.    Not really shocking....but I think Finney is better than him, and would prefer to see Finney starting this year over him.  

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

OP has the expansion draft correct - picking 5 players to subject to draft and the rules - at least according to the last NFL expansion. The only rule I would add as I mentioned above is elimination rookies from consideration since a real expansion draft would happen before the draft. 

This appears to be the rules for the last Expansion Draft (Texans) but as I recall, all the other ones had teams PROTECT players from the draft. Not offer. Offering 5 players is beyond easy. I mean what team in the world would want to start their team with the likes of Bryce Harris, Sensabaugh, Frenchy, McCullers and Berhe? All of which fit the qualifications. The way it appears it was done in '02 was it basically allowed teams to dump bad contracts that the Texans had to take on. No wonder it took the Texans so long to become competitive. During the expansion draft with the Jags and Panthers, both teams were instantly competitive. 

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Pouncey is extremely overrated, but after Mahan and Hartwig were, Id be worried about getting rid of him right now.

And Im sorry @warfelg, but thats a terrible list.   I usually agree with alot of your assessments, but I dont get why you would choose 4 guys on rookie contracts, most (or all) of which have upside.    No idea why you would put them on the block instead of truly expendable guys with no real upside like Landry Jones, DHB, Daniel McCullers. Anthony Chickillo or Coty Sensabaugh.

My "shocking" one would be Ramon Foster.    Not really shocking....but I think Finney is better than him, and would prefer to see Finney starting this year over him.  

Because all but Coty on that list are in the final year of their contract and the OP has that they can’t be a FA at the end of the season. 

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

This appears to be the rules for the last Expansion Draft (Texans) but as I recall, all the other ones had teams PROTECT players from the draft. Not offer. Offering 5 players is beyond easy. I mean what team in the world would want to start their team with the likes of Bryce Harris, Sensabaugh, Frenchy, McCullers and Berhe? All of which fit the qualifications. The way it appears it was done in '02 was it basically allowed teams to dump bad contracts that the Texans had to take on. No wonder it took the Texans so long to become competitive. During the expansion draft with the Jags and Panthers, both teams were instantly competitive. 

All 5 players you listed are on the last years of their contracts, which excludes them by the rules in being selected. 

Must not be as easy as you say ?

Also - the Panthers and Jags did the same format, only teams selected 6 players instead of 5 to offer into the draft. So at least the last 3 expansion drafts were done this way.

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

Because all but Coty on that list are in the final year of their contract and the OP has that they can’t be a FA at the end of the season. 

Im pretty sure if they have 1 year left on the deal, they can still be offered up.    They just cant be pending FAs, and the OP said they player would be offered up for the 2018 season.    I could be wrong though.

Either way, I dont see why you would offer up Sutton or Conner.   Sutton still has plenty of upside and while RBs may be easy to find, Conner is pretty cheap and has shown he can be a solid runner when healthy.    If anything, Id rather try to trade him and get something for him.

18 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Dobbs

LJ Fort

L.T. Walton

Ryan Shazier - Because no one thinks he will play again.

Vance McDonald

Could also use Jerald Hawkins or Nix.

Walton, Fort, and Shazier all ineligible due to contracts expiring at end of the year. 

If they cant be FAs within the next year. then my list would be...

Dobbs - Would keep him over Landry, but I doubt he ever does anything.
Vance McDonald  -   Kinda like him, but not worth the $5.1m he is set to be paid in 2019.
Bud Dupree -  Sucks, set to be drastically overpaid in 2019
Tyler Matakevich - Easily replacable
Brian Allen -  Proven nothing, not likely to ever do anything

20 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im pretty sure if they have 1 year left on the deal, they can still be offered up.    They just cant be pending FAs, and the OP said they player would be offered up for the 2018 season.    I could be wrong though.

Either way, I dont see why you would offer up Sutton or Conner.   Sutton still has plenty of upside and while RBs may be easy to find, Conner is pretty cheap and has shown he can be a solid runner when healthy.    If anything, Id rather try to trade him and get something for him.

According to the last expansion draft for the 2001 season, teams could not select players that would be FAs for the 2002 season -- so no one was allowed in the pool that had 1 year left on their contract. 

It wouldn't make much sense to allow 1 year guys into the draft. That would truly suck for the expansion team. 

Archived