2018 NBA Random Offseason Discussion

CWood21

6 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Nah, not buying it. Trevor Ariza isn't the difference in a series with golden state. Ya'll just hate the Rocket fans.

You don't think losing a guy who played really good defense in that series will make a big difference? Okay.

Trevor Ariza played a ton of minutes, Mbah a Moute averaged 13 MPG in that series. Their length/defensive ability was huge in terms of switching against GS. Thinking these are minor losses is silly.

Just now, MookieMonster said:

Big picture boss. Ariza isn't some superstar but who are they finding that can switch onto any of the GS players and do a decent job while being able to hit 3s at an acceptable clip? Houston could switch effectively with Ariza on the court. Who's doing that now? He's a big loss defensively.

That's not big picture. That's the small picture. They have 2 superstars and a budding all star in Capela. Yeah, losing Ariza isn't ideal but I'd venture paying Ariza 15 million dollars is a bigger failure. He's also nearing his mid 30s. 

I don't know who they'll start, but they have length on the bench. They'll still be in the WCF. 

Just now, MookieMonster said:

You don't think losing a guy who played really good defense in that series will make a big difference? Okay.

Trevor Ariza played a ton of minutes, Mbah a Moute averaged 13 MPG in that series. Their length/defensive ability was huge in terms of switching against GS. Thinking these are minor losses is silly.

And thinking that losing players like ariza and a guy who averaged 13 mpg in a series makes an offseason a colossal failure while resigning chris paul (ALBEIT FOR 4 YEARS???) is a bit sillier, no? plz tell me that you'll agree colossal failure is a bit hyperbolic  

Just now, Troy Brown said:

That's not big picture. That's the small picture. They have 2 superstars and a budding all star in Capela. Yeah, losing Ariza isn't ideal but I'd venture paying Ariza 15 million dollars is a bigger failure. He's also nearing his mid 30s. 

I don't know who they'll start, but they have length on the bench. They'll still be in the WCF. 

Who's the length on the bench?

Just now, Troy Brown said:

And thinking that losing players like ariza and a guy who averaged 13 mpg in a series makes an offseason a colossal failure while resigning chris paul (ALBEIT FOR 4 YEARS???) is a bit sillier, no? plz tell me that you'll agree colossal failure is a bit hyperbolic  

Of course its a hyperbole, welcome to discussing sports.

CP3 wasn't ever going anywhere lol

5 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Of course its a hyperbole, welcome to discussing sports.

CP3 wasn't ever going anywhere lol

I'm positive making sure CP3 was coming back was a much higher priority than resigning Ariza.

They have Gerald Green and PJ Tucker on the roster right now. Maybe one of them starts. Who knows, offseason isn't even halfway over. Just not convinced the sky is falling because they lost a role player and an injury waiting to happen 

22 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Nah, not buying it. Trevor Ariza isn't the difference in a series with golden state. Ya'll just hate the Rocket fans.

Houston gave Golden State issues because they could switch constantly.  If you're trading Ariza for Carmelo, you're losing part of that ability.  Carmelo isn't a very good defender anymore, and he doesn't have the ability to switch either.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Houston gave Golden State issues because they could switch constantly.  If you're trading Ariza for Carmelo, you're losing part of that ability.  Carmelo isn't a very good defender anymore, and he doesn't have the ability to switch either.

Yeah, Melo sucks, but keeping the core of their team intact makes them anything but colossal failures 

2 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Yup.  James Ennis provides 80% of what Trevor Ariza did at a much more reasonable price.  Luc didn't even play much in the GSW series and when he did he was the worst player on the floor.  As Morey said, the roster that the Rockets have on April 15th is the most important thing to look at.

Mbah a Moute played closer to 13 minutes total than he did 13 per game in that series. 

Ariza played extremely hard and Durant hit shot after shot after shot with Arizas hand in his face. As good of D as he played on Durant, it wasn’t as big an impact as it could have been because Durant is that good. 

Ultimately we lost because we missed 27 straight 3s in game 7. 

We were also forced into a 7 man rotation most of the series with Green and Gordon the only guys off the bench. Ennis and Melo would at least expand that’s rotation to 8. MCW could get some run as well since he can actually play D 

9 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Mbah a Moute played closer to 13 minutes total than he did 13 per game in that series. 

Ariza played extremely hard and Durant hit shot after shot after shot with Arizas hand in his face. As good of D as he played on Durant, it wasn’t as big an impact as it could have been because Durant is that good. 

Ultimately we lost because we missed 27 straight 3s in game 7. 

We were also forced into a 7 man rotation most of the series with Green and Gordon the only guys off the bench. Ennis and Melo would at least expand that’s rotation to 8. MCW could get some run as well since he can actually play D 

MCW is horrific in any situation.  He isn't anything more than an end of the bench guy.

Im not sure what @Pastor Dillonand @CAS22talking about but i agree with the rest of yall.  i dont see how we are getting better. this offseason has been a fail to me.  the goal was the build on the season we just had.  how does losing ariza and luc and adding mcw and ennis make this team better?  idc that ariza had a dud game 7 vs the warriors.  bottom line is we lost 2 of our 3 best wing defenders.  wouldt shock me if our defense goes back to average at best this upcoming season. 

Signing Ennis helps a lot.  He's not as good defensively as Ariza or LRMM, but he's passable.  If Houston does sign Carmelo and they're smart about this, they'll be okay.

CP3
Harden
Ennis
Tucker
Capela

Gordon
Carmelo
Green
Nene

They'll be incredible offensively again, but expect a solid step back defensively.

Archived