World Cup Knockout Round 7/3 - It's coming home

drd23

9 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I think France’s win vs Argentina was impressive.

You saw the problem with England yesterday, not enough creativity. Yes yesterday they had quite a lot of the ball but the Colombian defenders were pretty comfortable throughout. Sweden will frustrate them. I see another extra time brewing. Set pieces seems to be by farrr their biggest threat. 

I agree, but I also think Colombia were far more of a threat than Sweden will be.

I think if we control the game like that again eventually we are going to create some chances.

There's also a long history with sweden, so hopefully they come out to play.

4 hours ago, kempus said:

I think it's also being underestimated how athletic and dominant both Mina and Sanchez are. Against another side I'm willing to bet England are able to create a lot more. More danger from set pieces at the bare minimum. 

When they are on it, like last night, they are very hard to play against.

Harry Kane was absolutely superb. Held the ball up, won free kicks to relieve pressure and was a constant outlet for England.

22 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Ref was absolutely superb. Held the ball up, won free kicks to relieve pressure and was a constant outlet for England.

Ftfy :D

From an outsider point of view, England clearly seems like the 6th best team of this WC. They are in the easy part of the bracket so anything is possible, but I would be more surprised if they win this than if they lose to Sweden.

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

I agree, but I also think Colombia were far more of a threat than Sweden will be.

I think if we control the game like that again eventually we are going to create some chances.

There's also a long history with sweden, so hopefully they come out to play.

I mean Colombia for much of the game weren’t a threat. Hard to be any worse. Too predictable. Better in the second half when they played more narrow and allow Cuadrado to tuck in closer to Falcao. They looked pretty much hapless without James.

You will have more of the ball again, but Sweden are just as disciplined, if not more,    As Colombia showed. They were able to hold off Germany for the most part. England just gotta keep pushing in the latter parts of the game where they may get tired. 

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

You will have more of the ball again, but Sweden are just as disciplined, if not more,    As Colombia showed. They were able to hold off Germany for the most part. England just gotta keep pushing in the latter parts of the game where they may get tired. 

Hopefully we will stretch them wide and behind unlike Germany who tried to pass them to death before a ball into Gomez or Muller.

Rose needs to start over Young and Sterling needs to take a knee.

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

When they are on it, like last night, they are very hard to play against.

Harry Kane was absolutely superb. Held the ball up, won free kicks to relieve pressure and was a constant outlet for England.

Physically speaking. No other WC CB partnership comes close to them. They're absolute beasts. I think Sanchez is probably the fastest CB in the world. 

Yeah, he was very good. Winning headers all night. He was dropping a bit too deep at times, but that was also partly because of how Colombia were set up. Kane is also an iceman. The penalty he scored in the game was cool as it gets. Especially after the Colombia players tried to put him off as much as possible, even intentionally scuffing up the penalty spot (which is an absolute disgrace, btw). 

46 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Rose needs to start over Young and Sterling needs to take a knee.

Rose is a better left back than Young, so I absolutely agree on that. Sterling should be impactful against a team like Sweden. His pace in behind is such a valuable asset. However, he's been terrible this world cup, so perhaps Rashford offers more. I hope we don't see Vardy at the world cup again.

I'm also shocked at how good Trippier has been. That's not the same player who I have seen for the past 2 seasons at Spurs. He's so much more natural as a wingback, with less defensive duties and more cover.

Archived