World Cup Knockout Round 7/3 - It's coming home

drd23

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

It was, just like Panama and Tunisia it's been WWE at set pieces.

Kane initiated contact and it’s not like a clear goal scoring opportunity was denied. I just don’t like potentially game altering calls like that in a WC knockout match.

16 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Can you imagine if we won the thing

Not to come off like a wet blanket, but I need to see one impressive win from a team in a tournament before I can imagine them winning it.  Portugal in last year's EURO's is the exception, not the rule.

37 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Not to come off like a wet blanket, but I need to see one impressive win from a team in a tournament before I can imagine them winning it.  Portugal in last year's EURO's is the exception, not the rule.

Are you trying to tell me that Panama don't count????

5 minutes ago, kempus said:

Are you trying to tell me that Panama don't count????

In a word, yes.  And maybe I have a higher standard than most.  I didn't consider Belgium's 3-nil against Panama particularly impressive either, and I really haven't seen a majorly impressive win from them this tournament either.  That said, what we saw from Belgium in the last 20 minutes of yesterday's match was more impressive to me than anything we've seen from England this tournament.

27 minutes ago, The LBC said:

In a word, yes.  And maybe I have a higher standard than most.  I didn't consider Belgium's 3-nil against Panama particularly impressive either, and I really haven't seen a majorly impressive win from them this tournament either.  That said, what we saw from Belgium in the last 20 minutes of yesterday's match was more impressive to me than anything we've seen from England this tournament.

I was kind of joking. I don't find that win particularly impressive either. However, they're at the world cup for a reason. England have basically only played 3 games and have rarely been troubled in any of them (minus the abomination that was the first period of extra time). They have been largely impressive and untroubled in all three games. They will undoubtedly need to step it up a gear or two if they want to progress past the semis, though.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

That was embarrassing but Henderson after being "headbutted" wasn't a whole lot better imo.  Looked like Maguire dived too 

Also that was a BS penalty given to Kane.  As others have noted, Kane pulled Sanchez down first and then fell over under Sanchez's body pressure 

The ref was horrible - had no control over the players and made the wrong decision numerous times

Overall England were probably the better side - they were comfortable for the first 75 minutes or so without doing much with it before being outplayed after that

You're right about Maguire and Henderson for sure. Maguire's was really bad, I'm not sure if he was initially expecting contact and then just went with it when it didnt come but that was awful. I hate when defenders dive, they're so often the victims of attackers doing it to them so they shouldn't be doing it to fellow players. 

Agreed on the general state of the game. England were comfortably the better side despite not doing much of anything. They played relatively well for the most of the match and outside of the last 15 minutes of normal time and the first half of extra time they were the side dominating the flow of the game.

This was kind of an odd result for England, they now know they arent going to skate through the tournament and there are plenty of areas to improve but at the same time were really quite dominant and, more importantly, when so many England teams crumbled they kept their heads and worked their way back to being the team asking questions. The fact they rebounded after missing the first penalty too really should give this England team a lot of confidence going forward.

27 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

England need to score some goals from something other than penalties next game. 

The problem is, England only have one goal scorer. If Kane doesn't score, nobody else is really able to. Unless it comes from a set piece.

I think it's also being underestimated how athletic and dominant both Mina and Sanchez are. Against another side I'm willing to bet England are able to create a lot more. More danger from set pieces at the bare minimum. 

6 minutes ago, kempus said:

Against another side I'm willing to bet England are able to create a lot more. More danger from set pieces at the bare minimum. 

I'm not sure how true that will be in the next round.  Sweden is pretty well organised defensively and Granquist has been a rock.

England will have all of the ball but their midfielders will have to do a lot better than they have in this tournament so far to create chances in open play. 

And they used up their soft make-up penalty for the missed one against Tunisia in this game ;) 

20 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I'm not sure how true that will be in the next round.  Sweden is pretty well organised defensively and Granquist has been a rock.

England will have all of the ball but their midfielders will have to do a lot better than they have in this tournament so far to create chances in open play. 

The midfield definitely needs to be more creative. However, I think Mina and Sanchez are far better suited to defending Englands attackers than anything Sweden can put together.

I think France’s win vs Argentina was impressive.

You saw the problem with England yesterday, not enough creativity. Yes yesterday they had quite a lot of the ball but the Colombian defenders were pretty comfortable throughout. Sweden will frustrate them. I see another extra time brewing. Set pieces seems to be by farrr their biggest threat. 

4 hours ago, kempus said:

The problem is, England only have one goal scorer. If Kane doesn't score, nobody else is really able to. Unless it comes from a set piece.

It's appalling. Sterling is so devoid of confidence, for an hour yesterday everything was just bouncing off him

Archived