Rams give Brandin Cooks 5 year extension

RamRod

7 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Thank you.  Cooks is barely a top 10 receiver if that, and he got the exact same extension as DeAndre Hopkins, the one guy in the league that can actually be argued anywhere near the same tier as Antonio Brown and Julio Jones.  I was baffled when I saw that they extended him before he even played a game.  They did the same thing with Nick Foles and look how that worked out

He's not top 10...

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not exclusively and neither is Watkins but both will play a lot of slot it appears with their current rosters and Cooks has always played a lot from the slot, at least with the Saints. Not in a Wes Welker type role though more of a deep threat slot receiver so it will be interesting to see how it works out with the Rams.

Definitely not a slot guy in NE. 

Cooks is not what I thought he’d be coming out of college, a Percy Harvin 2.0. He’s an outside guy that doesn’t create as much YAC as you may have thought watching him at Oregon State.

He’s a great fit in LA as an X.

9 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Definitely not a slot guy in NE. 

Cooks is not what I thought he’d be coming out of college, a Percy Harvin 2.0. He’s an outside guy that doesn’t create as much YAC as you may have thought watching him at Oregon State.

He’s a great fit in LA as an X.

No he doesn't have the wiggle to be the traditional slot guy but that is where he was most effective with the Saints. A lot of that had to do with vertical routes but a lot of screens too. He caught 67% of his targets with the Saints compared to 57% with the Patriots and that was with Tom Brady throwing him the football. I expect him to outproduce what Watkins did last year but I'd be surprised he he got 1000 yards this year with the Rams if they always play him outside.

28 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No he doesn't have the wiggle to be the traditional slot guy but that is where he was most effective with the Saints. A lot of that had to do with vertical routes but a lot of screens too. He caught 67% of his targets with the Saints compared to 57% with the Patriots and that was with Tom Brady throwing him the football. I expect him to outproduce what Watkins did last year but I'd be surprised he he got 1000 yards this year with the Rams if they always play him outside.

Maybe, maybe not. 

The Patriots just aren’t going to air the ball out down the field as much as some other teams. I don’t have the percentages in front of me, but I’d wager the Rams offense chucks it down field at a higher rate. Add that into the fact that defenses can play the pass against NE without as much of a run threat in comparison to the Rams and Todd Gurley, I think you have a good fit. 

Also, I realize “always” is an overstatement, but that doesn’t prevent Cooks from working inside occasionally or catching some screen passes. 

You're right that his production might not be what it was in NO, if only because of the other mouths to feed on that offense. But his skill set isn’t easily replicated and his resume as a 24 year old is pretty much unmatched. Cooks will be a piece that completes that offense, IYAM. He’s what they hoped for with Watkins.

35 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Maybe, maybe not. 

The Patriots just aren’t going to air the ball out down the field as much as some other teams. I don’t have the percentages in front of me, but I’d wager the Rams offense chucks it down field at a higher rate. Add that into the fact that defenses can play the pass against NE without as much of a run threat in comparison to the Rams and Todd Gurley, I think you have a good fit. 

Also, I realize “always” is an overstatement, but that doesn’t prevent Cooks from working inside occasionally or catching some screen passes. 

You're right that his production might not be what it was in NO, if only because of the other mouths to feed on that offense. But his skill set isn’t easily replicated and his resume as a 24 year old is pretty much unmatched. Cooks will be a piece that completes that offense, IYAM. He’s what they hoped for with Watkins.

As far as air yards, no, Brady averaged about a yard more per attempt. Brady was top 12 though so while that doesn't indicate deep passes necessarily it does show you push it down the field more unless it is skewed by a lot of screens due to the offense. Goff was 21st of the 41 that qualified. Brees was dead last but he played a lot different than normal years when he is middle of the pack because they do have a lot of screens or quick hitters.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I've never heard of him referred to as peaches, but that oddly fits perfectly. 

It's been my nickname for him since he was the one spoiling picks during the draft on NFLN.  Not sure who I got it from, but I'm like 80% sure I ripped it off from someone else.

I don't think McVay will have an issue implementing Cooks. I question Goff's ability to find chemistry with him though. He needs a ton of work throwing anything past 20 yards...

As for Donald, you don't play politics with an all-time type of player like him. He should have been given the biggest contract ever for a DL last season already, during the first holdout....

9 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Thank you.  Cooks is barely a top 10 receiver if that, and he got the exact same extension as DeAndre Hopkins, the one guy in the league that can actually be argued anywhere near the same tier as Antonio Brown and Julio Jones.  I was baffled when I saw that they extended him before he even played a game.  They did the same thing with Nick Foles and look how that worked out

Sorry, but I have to call out lazy logic when I see it.  He's earning a similar AAV to Hopkins, but it's not the same extension because Hopkins' extension was one made last year whereas Cooks' was done this year in the context of a year of adjusted inflation further down the line.  If Hopkins were up for extension this year, he'd almost certainly be getting more money than what Cooks has and what he did last year - and he'd probably be holding out to see what kind of AAV Julio and OBJ pull down because he would have that kind of leverage.  Reality is that given the time that exists between the two similar-figured contracts being signed, the one that was signed first (Hopkins) was the bigger win for the player.

48 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

As far as air yards, no, Brady averaged about a yard more per attempt. Brady was top 12 though so while that doesn't indicate deep passes necessarily it does show you push it down the field more unless it is skewed by a lot of screens due to the offense. Goff was 21st of the 41 that qualified. Brees was dead last but he played a lot different than normal years when he is middle of the pack because they do have a lot of screens or quick hitters.

You’re looking at YPA? Or air yards per attempt? 

Either way, don’t really think that is indicative of a team’s deep passing strategies/tendencies. Completing 10/10 balls for 250 yards will give you more air yards per attempt than a guy who posted 250 yards on 8/14. Next Gen Stats has Goff as the QB with the highest amount of air yards traveled.

Brady was an MVP. He’s at worst top 2 in the league in an offense that utilizes intermediate passing (as well as short). He’ll have more air yards per attempt than a guy like Goff because he’s doing a better job at completing balls overall. 

10 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You’re looking at YPA? Or air yards per attempt? 

Either way, don’t really think that is indicative of a team’s deep passing strategies/tendencies. Completing 10/10 balls for 250 yards will give you more air yards per attempt than a guy who posted 250 yards on 8/14. Next Gen Stats has Goff as the QB with the highest amount of air yards traveled.

Brady was an MVP. He’s at worst top 2 in the league in an offense that utilizes intermediate passing (as well as short). He’ll have more air yards per attempt than a guy like Goff because he’s doing a better job at completing balls overall. 

Air yards per attempt. The only thing I see that Goff leads is longest air yard play.

Air yards per attempt doesn't matter if the pass is completed that is air yards per completion which Goff is a little higher at 20th.

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Air yards per attempt. The only thing I see that Goff leads is longest air yard play.

Air yards per attempt doesn't matter if the pass is completed that is air yards per completion which Goff is a little higher at 20th.

Shame on Jared for not putting up as good of numbers in his first year starting at Tom Brady in his 17th. How will us Rams fans ever be able to cheer for a guy like that. 

Brandin Cooks will have a good year this year in LA with Jared Goff throwing to him in Sean McVay's offense. 

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Ah, you’re right, I misread that table. 

That said the rest of my post stands true; the air yards per attempt isn’t really going to fly when you’re comparing with a hyper effieicent QB. You’re stretching things if you’re holding the stance that NE throws the ball downfield as much as LA.

Also, here’s a link discussing some deep passing amongst the NFL QBs for last season (Goff is ranked above Brady for the most part): https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/deep-ball-project

Archived