Rams give Brandin Cooks 5 year extension

RamRod

8 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

I don't think McVay will have an issue implementing Cooks. I question Goff's ability to find chemistry with him though. He needs a ton of work throwing anything past 20 yards...

As for Donald, you don't play politics with an all-time type of player like him. He should have been given the biggest contract ever for a DL last season already, during the first holdout....

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/10/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-stats-deep-passes-ranking/
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/30/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-stats-deep-passes-rating-quarterbacks/

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Ah, you’re right, I misread that table. 

That said the rest of my post stands true; the air yards per attempt isn’t really going to fly when you’re comparing with a hyper effieicent QB. You’re stretching things if you’re holding the stance that NE throws the ball downfield as much as LA.

Also, here’s a link discussing some deep passing amongst the NFL QBs for last season (Goff is ranked above Brady for the most part): https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/deep-ball-project

I think Goff was the highest rated passer on deep attempts, but that wasn't the discussion. I'm not trying to put him down or anything I just stated that Cooks probably won't see the success that he had with Brees and probably not what he had with Brady.

I didn't watch many Rams games, if he did throw downfield a lot more than Brady and still ended up an air yard less per attempt then he must have thrown a lot of passes at or behind the LOS because we know Brady throws a lot of shorter passes. That's why I said it can be misleading like Brees' has been throughout his career because they utilize a lot of passes at or behind the LOS so his air yards always looked mediocre even though he was probably the best downfield passer I ever seen and did it more often than any QB I think I've seen.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think Goff was the highest rated passer on deep attempts, but that wasn't the discussion. I'm not trying to put him down or anything I just stated that Cooks probably won't see the success that he had with Brees and probably not what he had with Brady.

Actually, Alex Smith was IIRC. But you’re right - not the discussion. 

He may have the success, though. The Rams offense airs it out more and Goff was the highest rated deep passer, according to you. Cooks will feast, especially since teams can’t just play the pass.

I didn't watch many Rams games, if he did throw downfield a lot more than Brady and still ended up an air yard less per attempt then he must have thrown a lot of passes at or behind the LOS because we know Brady throws a lot of shorter passes. That's why I said it can be misleading like Brees' has been throughout his career because they utilize a lot of passes at or behind the LOS so his air yards always looked mediocre even though he was probably the best downfield passer I ever seen and did it more often than any QB I think I've seen.

NE is a short/intermediate passing offense that takes it’s shots in limited doses. 

Like I said, YPA isn’t indicative of deep passing attempts. You pointing at Brees’ low YPA while highlighting his deep throwing prowess only proves that fact even more so. Meaning Cooks isn’t working with Brady or Brees, sure, but he’s in an offense where he’s a near perfect fit and will get plenty of good looks - probably better looks than he did in either other O (two teams with eh running games, and one other weapon).

51 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

He may have the success, though. The Rams offense airs it out more and Goff was the highest rated deep passer, according to you. Cooks will feast, especially since teams can’t just play the pass.

It seems crazy but the Patriots and Rams had virtually identical rushing stats last year. Rams had 6 more carries on the year for 64 more yards and 1 more TD. Patriots had about 75 more play on the year so that 6 less carries probably equals like 1.5 carries more per game for the Rams but the Patriots weren't as pass happy as people think.

35 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

It seems crazy but the Patriots and Rams had virtually identical rushing stats last year. Rams had 6 more carries on the year for 64 more yards and 1 more TD. Patriots had about 75 more play on the year so that 6 less carries probably equals like 1.5 carries more per game for the Rams but the Patriots weren't as pass happy as people think.

You’re not implying teams defend a Todd Gurley backfield the way they’d defend a Dion Lewis backfield, are you? If not, the totals aren’t really relevant to the point. 

NE’s run game produces largely because Brady and the passing attack opens it up. Defenses won’t commit to stop it because Brady would feast. That isn’t the case in LA. 

33 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You’re not implying teams defend a Todd Gurley backfield the way they’d defend a Dion Lewis backfield, are you? If not, the totals aren’t really relevant to the point. 

NE’s run game produces largely because Brady and the passing attack opens it up. Defenses won’t commit to stop it because Brady would feast. That isn’t the case in LA. 

Well are you saying that Cooks may be more productive this year because the Rams don't have as good of a passing attack as the Patriots?

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well are you saying that Cooks may be more productive this year because the Rams don't have as good of a passing attack as the Patriots?

I’m saying the Rams’ run game and downfield passing attack will open up the field for Cooks specifically more so than NE or NO did - as a result, Cooks may see similar production we’ve seen him attain despite there being more mouths to feed in comparison to his last two teams. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m saying the Rams’ run game and downfield passing attack will open up the field for Cooks specifically more so than NE or NO did - as a result, Cooks may see similar production we’ve seen him attain despite there being more mouths to feed in comparison to his last two teams. 

Patriots were top 5 in passes 15+ down the field, Rams were slightly ahead in 3rd. Brees threw down the field more than either in the past but not in 2017, it was a different offense with Kamara/Ingram running the show. We'll see how Cooks does, I do think he will produce more than Watkins did besides maybe TD.

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Patriots were top 5 in passes 15+ down the field, Rams were slightly ahead in 3rd. Brees threw down the field more than either in the past but not in 2017, it was a different offense with Kamara/Ingram running the show. We'll see how Cooks does, I do think he will produce more than Watkins did besides maybe TD.

15 yards isn’t really a deep pass though?

And that doesn’t factor in Gurley at all.

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

They never are.  I think it's largely a case of people allowing fantasy stats to obscure (mostly because I think that's largely where a lot of folks these days end up paying attention to raw stats) their view.  The Pats run the ball a ton, they just do so over a committee of 2-4 guys where any one or two can be the chosen calves of the particular day - they really haven't had a "feature back" since Corey Dillon and even then Kevin Faulk was getting his fair share of touches.

Archived