Best Action Movies

Mox

21 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

So after seeing an excellent continuation to one of my favorite action franchises (The Equalizer) I thought it'd be good to see what else is out there that I've been missing. What are some of the best action movies you guys have ever seen and what are some under the radar ones that I (and others) should take the time to see?

Some of my favorites (off the top of my head):

John Wick 1&2

The Equalizer 1&2

Die Hard

Predator

Taken

Bourne movies

Independence Day

The Rock

MI 4&5

V for Vendetta

The Raid 1&2

Indiana Jones movies

The Fugitive

The Taking of Pelham 123

Not counting Superheroes, Bond movies or Star Wars

Big one missing on this list....

ACdP.gif

Could be one of the best action movies ever made easily.  

*Mad Max Fury Road - One of the best action movies ever, it is so constant in the entire film, amazing car chases and creativity.

*Kill Bill I & II - Awesome fight scenes no doubt and super cool, easily both are two of the better action movies.

*Gladiator - Freaking sweet battle scenes and should easily be on a Action movie list.

*Seven Samurai (1954 Foreign) - Could say it invented the large fight scene, pretty sure was the first to do it at that scale.  

*Scarface (1983) - The end scene is a flat out historic action sequence, sure is not all action wall to wall but is pretty badass throughout

*Mad Max Road Warrior - Was the first historic car chase by the franchise, super bad *** and groundbreaking for the times

*The Matrix - If one talks fight scenes it is great, sure is a Sci Fi movie like a few of these but is action packed of course, the first one is better than the sequels by a lot though

*Mission Impossible (1996) - Is an awesome movie, iconic and really cool, how the first one is not on this list I have no idea

*Speed - How can that not be on there, awesome movie with a total unique idea and has very intense scenes

*Snowpiercer - Is a Sci Fi movie but is bad to the bone and has a ton of action fight scenes over and over again

*True Romance - Freaking sweet movie, very underrated and has some really cool scenes in it I think

*The Hitcher - Awesome movie and super cool villain that is for sure

*Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome - Sure the first part is arguably the only good part, the second half is lame but that Thunderdome fight scene is awesome.

*Dredd (2012) - Very underrated, is super cool and a better take on the original arguably, cool villain and a lot of action.

*Leon The Professional - Not a complete action movie but has a great villain and cool intense scenes more than once.

*The Revenant - A ton of action and fight scenes in this, gritty and real, a little over the top in some but still different.  

*Dunkirk - Super badass War fight scenes, really awesome camera work and shots.  Help shows the environment of that event no doubt.

*Breakdown - Was kind of shocked how cool it was, has Kurt Russell in it and was surprisingly good with some great action car scenes.

34 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Love that someone mentioned "The Last Boy Scout."  One of my favorite Bruce Willis films.

This is one that I think some younger folks may not know about.  Love it.

Oddly that movie is not even available on Netflix at the moment, which is odd, sucks.  Does seem like an carbon copy of The Bourne movies, so obviously the Bourne people used a lot of this and just made the main character male.  This movie was made 6 years before The Bourne Identity...

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Oddly that movie is not even available on Netflix at the moment, which is odd, sucks.  Does seem like an carbon copy of The Bourne movies, so obviously the Bourne people used a lot of this and just made the main character male.  This movie was made 6 years before The Bourne Identity...

Someone has uploaded it to youtube.  ( I think it is the entire film.)  I didn't want to run into an issue with Webby by posting it, but it is there. 

Robert Ludlum wrote the Bourne Trilogy books between 1980 and 1990.  I remember reading the first two when I was in the Navy.  There are some similarities, now that you mention it.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Big one missing on this list....

ACdP.gif

Could be one of the best action movies ever made easily.  

*Mad Max Fury Road - One of the best action movies ever, it is so constant in the entire film, amazing car chases and creativity.

*Kill Bill I & II - Awesome fight scenes no doubt and super cool, easily both are two of the better action movies.

*Gladiator - Freaking sweet battle scenes and should easily be on a Action movie list.

*Seven Samurai (1954 Foreign) - Could say it invented the large fight scene, pretty sure was the first to do it at that scale.  

*Scarface (1983) - The end scene is a flat out historic action sequence, sure is not all action wall to wall but is pretty badass throughout

*Mad Max Road Warrior - Was the first historic car chase by the franchise, super bad *** and groundbreaking for the times

*The Matrix - If one talks fight scenes it is great, sure is a Sci Fi movie like a few of these but is action packed of course, the first one is better than the sequels by a lot though

*Mission Impossible (1996) - Is an awesome movie, iconic and really cool, how the first one is not on this list I have no idea

*Speed - How can that not be on there, awesome movie with a total unique idea and has very intense scenes

*Snowpiercer - Is a Sci Fi movie but is bad to the bone and has a ton of action fight scenes over and over again

*True Romance - Freaking sweet movie, very underrated and has some really cool scenes in it I think

*The Hitcher - Awesome movie and super cool villain that is for sure

*Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome - Sure the first part is arguably the only good part, the second half is lame but that Thunderdome fight scene is awesome.

*Dredd (2012) - Very underrated, is super cool and a better take on the original arguably, cool villain and a lot of action.

*Leon The Professional - Not a complete action movie but has a great villain and cool intense scenes more than once.

*The Revenant - A ton of action and fight scenes in this, gritty and real, a little over the top in some but still different.  

*Dunkirk - Super badass War fight scenes, really awesome camera work and shots.  Help shows the environment of that event no doubt.

*Breakdown - Was kind of shocked how cool it was, has Kurt Russell in it and was surprisingly good with some great action car scenes.

Fury Road is a really good movie but nowhere near the top of my favorite action movies.

18 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Fury Road is a really good movie but nowhere near the top of my favorite action movies.

Really, well I guess to each their own but honestly I cannot fathom that.  Fury Road is an awesome movie, just the fact all of those vehicles actually exist and were not only CGI is amazing commitment to quality, especially in this day and age .

0825eabda1c19e1531f700492bdf44ff.jpg

On 7/21/2018 at 12:06 PM, Ozzy said:

Really, well I guess to each their own but honestly I cannot fathom that.  Fury Road is an awesome movie, just the fact all of those vehicles actually exist and were not only CGI is amazing commitment to quality, especially in this day and age .

0825eabda1c19e1531f700492bdf44ff.jpg

I don't know how any fan of action movies can't list that near the top. Its a great great action movie. 

Watching all the Mission: Impossible movies before Fallout comes out. Knocked out the first 3 this weekend. 1 is really good, 2 is meh, and 3 is carried by Philip Seymour Hoffman's epic villain Owen Davian.

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I don't know how any fan of action movies can't list that near the top. Its a great great action movie. 

I'd probably take every movie in my OP over it tbh. For sure 75% of them.

Archived